The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tardistestpilot

how many people use mandriva linux

i have installed mandriva linux 2009 on my pc for about a week now and its awesome I can not beleive how easy it was to install ... ive got everything working to how XP was working but better all up untill it came to installing my beloved counterstrike source/hl2.....who here is using (wine) or there is another option (cedega) to get those games running anybody here had any experience with these?>> advice and or experiences with the above and linux in general would be fantastic as im a linux noob

thanks in advance :)

linux is wonderful i prefer ubuntu however.

give windows a kick in the arse, that OS is a pile of crap linux is a solid wonderful OS in my opinion

linux is wonderful i prefer ubuntu however.
e

I haven't tried Mandriva, but, Ubuntu gets my vote too. I run Hardy Heron on an old Acer laptop.

I think most distributions these days can boot from CD's...very useful for testing before committing to a full install.

e

I haven't tried Mandriva, but, Ubuntu gets my vote too. I run Hardy Heron on an old Acer laptop.

I think most distributions these days can boot from CD's...very useful for testing before committing to a full install.

i could not get ubuntu to work on my computer could not get it to connect to cable modem had login issues but now that i have had success

with mandriva it will give me the cofidence to try other linux distros

i could not get ubuntu to work on my computer could not get it to connect to cable modem had login issues but now that i have had success

with mandriva it will give me the cofidence to try other linux distros

I haven't tried Cable internet configuration with Linux at all, so can't really comment. However, the most recent canonical releases of Ubuntu, 8.04 and 8.10 (Hardy Heron) have really improved their support for Wireless adapters and the like. I wouldn't be surprised if Cable functionality/config has been reduced to a GUI --Great for noobs like me :)

Keep at it!

EDIT: things

Edited by Bolwarra

not to dissuade from linux (i hope it gets so good that everybody starts using it and for that matter i hope microsoft burns to the ground and bill gates gets his balls stomped) but for all the windows users, seriously consider making your own install disc using nLite. i'm happy to give some hard-won tips if you PM me. if you're using vista you are crazy and i expect 7 to suck as well, so you may as well fix XP up the way you want it.

AFAIK you cannot get HL2 or games based on that engine to work using Wine or WineX (Cedega) or Crossover, because they use DX10 while most emulation layers are only kitted out with DX9.

I play CS1.6 fine on WineX. Like it better than CS:S anyway!

I have Ubuntu Intrepid on all 4 of my computers (a laptop, a desktop, a http/ftp server and a storage server). I haven't tried Mandriva since it was called Mandrake, but I don't care for KDE, I prefer Gnome or xfce. Is there a way to get virtualbox to play games in a windows VM? that might work for you.

AFAIK you cannot get HL2 or games based on that engine to work using Wine or WineX (Cedega) or Crossover, because they use DX10 while most emulation layers are only kitted out with DX9.

I play CS1.6 fine on WineX. Like it better than CS:S anyway!

ok some questions :)

what distro do you use sina? ...and does WineX = Cedega?

im still trying to get my head around getting any game to work even linux native games like americas army I dunno :scratchhead:

I will keep working at though i will never go back to :uzi: XPoo thats for sure

Hmm this weekend I installed Ubuntu....and then Mint

The main problem I'm having is getting a video mode higher than 800x600. (Once I enable the NVIDIA drivers, the 3D desktop stuff works, but then it goes back to 640x480)

I thought using Mint might make it simpler...but - no....I don't know anything about Linux and I have no time for geeking out anymore ... it's getting kind of annoying. It seems like heaps of people have this problem, and there are so many different solutions that involve a lot of fucking around. I need a usable desktop ASAP or I'm going back to XP, unfortunately. It sounds lazy, but I have better things to do than manually editing text config files...I guess Linux is not for me :rolleyes:

Is it an NVIDIA thing?

Don't know if I could be bothered trying to figure it out, unless someone has some good advice :)

thanks Sina

but I'm back to a fresh install of XP. too many hours wasted messing around with it :(