The Corroboree
Tripitaka

Surely not?

erythroxylumaustrale.jpg

hmmm, possible. can we see that berry better? open it up and check how many seeds.

hmm, doesn't realy look like australe.

how long is the branch? it would help a lot if we would know the size of those leaves.

australe leaves are quite small....

If your thinkin' thats the Pepsi plant... I don't think it is...

Is that what you thought? or am I way off?

I'm heading up that way next monday... damn I just realised I won't have my car to do any private wandering away from family. :(

One Berry inside??

thinking a possible candidate for australe or other Erythroxylum spp.

Leaves are 2-2.5cm, elliptical to obovate

Will go back and see if there are any inflorence.

Erythroxylum spp.

Edited by Tripitaka

One Berry inside??

thinking a possible candidate for australe or other Erythroxylum spp.

Leaves are 2-2.5cm, elliptical to obovate

Will go back and see if there are any inflorence.

Erythroxylum spp.

It looks like a coca species to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what I first thought when I saw it!! I mean I am almost 100% sure that's what it is!!

Nice find dude.

since when do you play golf ? :P

Nice find dude.

since when do you play golf ? :P

haha...thats the more important question :lol:

cool....would be sweet if seed was available... :drool2:

H.

I love my golf as much as i love my football and cricket :bootyshake:

Actually it was on the periphary of the course. I have little doubt now that is A. australe. I didnt ever expect to find it this far south form its range of distribution, perhaps far NNSW but not this area. :huh:

Have you found a population or just the lone plant?

I wonder if this constitutes a range extension or disjunction.

I am holding an actual Coca leaf up to the screen... it looks close but I don't think it's an exact match... Your leafs seem more pointy than Coca leafs.

I am holding an actual Coca leaf up to the screen... it looks close but I don't think it's an exact match... Your leafs seem more pointy than Coca leafs.

australe ...

There is a population of half a dozen plants or so, i haven't examined the area more extensively, but im sure these are not the only plants as the ecology of the area is relatively stable.

Will report when I know more, and yes the population is seeding at present! :lol:

There is a population of half a dozen plants or so, i haven't examined the area more extensively, but im sure these are not the only plants as the ecology of the area is relatively stable.

Will report when I know more, and yes the population is seeding at present! :lol:

YAY....!!!!

H.

Ya' could always snap off a green twig and see if ya' can spark it up, don't the Aussie Erythroxylum sp's burn like a bastard even when they're green?

The outcome would narrow the field I would think...

I've only ever seen E australe once in person and the branches were a lot more twisted and barky. The leaves were all different sizes, the smallest about 3mm, the biggest about 2cm arranged more random looking. That branch looks more tidy to me but, I'm no expert.

Edited by the germinator

i would love to be wrong, and if i am no problems, but this doesn't look like australe to me at all.

post a pic of the whole plant and i can tell you 100% if it's or not.

if you post a whole plant pic, we can look out for those coca bushes characteristics!

there is a small chance, it might be another coca than australe, but to me it's definately not australe.

i have spotted several australe bushes in the wild, and this just by sheer chance, but why i new they were australe, was because of those coca bush characteristics.

i don't remeber well, the look of the australe seeds, but i am sure you find pics of those seeds on the web, so you can compare.

sorry for the crappy pic, but thats how australe looks like!

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...showtopic=10638

Edited by planthelper

Happy to PH. If not australe im sure its in the genus. Characteristics look very similiar to both coca var coca and novo. Will take some pics next I go for a walk up there and post.

Happy to PH. If not australe im sure its in the genus. Characteristics look very similiar to both coca var coca and novo. Will take some pics next I go for a walk up there and post.

looking forward to those pic's!

did you see any flowers? the flowers would definately help with finding out if it's from the coca family.

i have only laid my eyes on 3 different coca's, novo, coca, and australe, but they all for example shared the characteristics of "pea pods" and leaves shine. i mean garden peas have this healthy somhow shiny surface and coca allways reminds me of that. but maybe some othe cocas don't share this feature.

if it's a coca than it's a even better find than australe!!

another feature is that coca leaves (including australe) dry very fast, how fast did your herbarium sample dry up tripi?

Edited by planthelper

it does look like the australe I've seen further south, so I think this needs to be pursued.

Just chew a couple of leaves and see if you choke.

Hmmm vasoconstriction, my favourite, i'll post some up :bootyshake: