The Corroboree
Teotzlcoatl

Lophophora ID

Question

Oh I totally agree on san p's pic being an lw caes.

Here's a couple of more pics to illustrate how easy it would be to cut out a few of the heads with their roots intact

& propagate / sell them as baby caes.

post-3765-1249160299_thumb.jpg

post-3765-1249160358_thumb.jpg

Another awesome pic :drool2: Out of interest, are you in Aus, Zelly, or overseas? I couldn't imagine there being too many specimens of that size here in Oz.

Zelly. just curious if your saying that the "caespitosa" you call are formed from somewhere else other than the areoles? every caes i have still grow from areoles, although many are underground. usually in that brown transition place for root to stem. but i have never seen them growing right form the actual roots. i know there are some freaks that sometimes come out of "no where", as in no areole, but seems pretty uncommon and caespitosa seem to stick to areoles.

like this pic, looks like its from the roots, but its still from an areole.

www.jpg

i agree with your point that by definition many plants could be called caespitosa. many diffusa and jourds like you say, and even a good chunk of fricii. but i think using caespitosa in the name sort of needs to be done when it is a different form of growth from normal. jourds are normally like that so there is really no point adding a L. jourdaniana 'Caespitosa' because that is the normal growth, it may as well have been called L. caespitosa hehe. but for willy, they are quite often single headed until old and then tend to have fewer large heads, so the insane pupping factory caespitosa are a deviation from whats considered normal and gets the name. what do you think?

anyone seen any lophs pupping form places otehr than areoles? i have only seen it a couple times, once in a willy and once in a fricii. the fricii continued "caespitosa" style growth while the willy is staying singular.

the willy

wwww.jpg

the fricii

ww.jpg

Hi Guys

Good thread,

My question is slightly off topic,

Has anyone an idea of what a loph cristate would look like as a seedling? I have seen a couple of crests in collections but these were 6-8 inches and have seen small cuttings as grafts, but no seedlings.

Also is the cristate a development from a damaged growth point or a mutation?

A500

I think the reason we will never see a loph crest seedling is they grow rather slowly on their own roots and most people will want to see it much larger without waiting the 20-30 years for it to get to an appreciable size. As for what causes a crest, IMO it's a genetic mutation.

Kada-

I think you nailed it with this statement...although many are underground. usually in that brown transition place for root to stem.

What I have observed in the case of caespitosa lw's is that an offset will form in this transitional area and immediately another offset will form on the first offset. Whether they are occurring at aeroles or not is difficult to say as a person would first have to identify an aerole & then see if an offset occurs there. Each offset seems to develop it's own roots rather quickly.

In filled pots I do see a lot of lateral side growth as a head searches for an opening to turn upward and if this side growth is in contact with the soil, roots form along its length.

ya they sure do pump out roots! makes taking cuttings a breeze though....

thats a really nice clump you got in the above pics...how old is that? look really healthy :)

here is a pic of some small 3-6cm groups for others to see what we mean.

caes-1.jpg

Great thread. I just got my caespitosa. Zelly is right. I was thrilled when I understood that the side pups are already rooted!!! :lol:

make you wonder how it would act in a graft... pup-hell or what?

Edited by mutant

Great thread. I just got my caespitosa. Zelly is right. I was thrilled when I understood that the side pups are already rooted!!! :lol:

make you wonder how it would act in a graft... pup-hell or what?

hehe that made me chuckle....things are brainy grafted.

LWCA-2.jpg

Whoa! That thing looks nuts!

Nice pic Kadakuda!

Sweet, Kada, is this on a harissia? Is it too difficult to attach pups and regraft due to the insane pupping ?

thats on a hylo hybrid stock. not diffifcult to regraft, but hard to cut pups off without cutting more than one by accident...i personally dislike messes like that, but many people seem to like it, so there we go :)

sweet grafts kada: ) thanks for the inspiration!

anyone seen any lophs pupping form places otehr than areoles? i have only seen it a couple times, once in a willy and once in a fricii. the fricii continued "caespitosa" style growth while the willy is staying singular.

well this is not lopho, but I have one astro monstrosa ONZUKA that did this from a calloused surface

I have a diffusa and a williamsii that seem to be pupping from the growth point. The williamsii has formed what can only be described as a "stack". I will try and post photos if of interest.

A500

So here are some peyote from my collection, sorry some of the shots are poor quality but there is no macro function.

This diffusa seems to be pupping from the growth point.

post-6115-1251725916_thumb.jpg

this williamsii is "stacking'

post-6115-1251726013_thumb.jpg

Now for a few that dont exist

First the lophophora ziegleri (this is one of my favourites)

post-6115-1251726055_thumb.jpg

Then the lophophora viridescens

post-6115-1251726134_thumb.jpg

The mythical white peyote

post-6115-1251726210_thumb.jpg

And lastly a couple of lost peyotes "sunami" and "tsuwiri"

post-6115-1251726514_thumb.jpg

I like the two fissuratus.

Are the "sunami" and "tsuwiri" names cv?

Nice pics!

I'm not sure what you mean by-

Now for a few that dont exist

Wait...

The mythical white peyote

Is that Lophophora brackii?

If you in Oz I don't see how that could be "White Peyote" unless your refering to Lophophora decipiens as "White Peyote" which it is not.

Lophophora decipiens var. brackii from Viesca, Mexico = "White Peyote".

NOT regular Lophophora decipiens.

Edited by Teotz'

great pics arnold. your first one is pupping from its areoles, which is common. many diffusa pupa lot, but not always that far up, i am guess the apical mersitem got damaged. second pic almost looks they are recovered from a spider mite problem (old brown skin) which may explain why that one is stacking (it got its meristem damaged too).

Lovely arios ;)

Arnold500 could you answer my question about your "mythical white peyote"?

I like the two fissuratus.

Are the "sunami" and "tsuwiri" names cv?

No these are not cultivar names, they are "pet" names,

Arnold500 could you answer my question about your "mythical white peyote"?

This peyote is not the brackii, well not that I know of, the comment was more tongue in cheek as it "appears" white.

The other two are examples of peyote that have been renamed and therefore "don't exist"

Alright.

Well they're not real "White Peyote" (if there even is a real one) unless they are Lophophora "brackii" from Steven Brack at Mesa Gardens.