The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Thelema

wrinkly salvia

does anyone know what the problem could be with my friends sally? occasionally the leaves (usually leaves at the top) develop all wrinkly, and sort of curl to one side. Have inspected on all occasions and found no obvious pest.

please help!

mine do this as well, I thought it may be somthing to do with the lack of humidity.

What are the lighting conditions like?

blistering of the leaves generally means too much sun, thats in my experience anyway.

Twisting of leaves and turning to the ground, yet foliage still keeping good condition i think is a sign of being rootbound. Though that happens to alot of the leaves, not just the top few, so that doesn't really help you lol.

if it also has dry brown edges then humidity is too low. if leaves are green and humidity is high then you have spidermite.

"if it also has dry brown edges then humidity is too low. if leaves are green and humidity is high then you have spidermite."- Not so easy... being in Florida- very high humidity and nary a spidermite to be found. Mine have the same problem... I think it may have something to do with too wet roots, or a fertalizer the plant doesn't like. Who knows...? I planted mine in the ground and they are still STUCK. Very little growth and what does grow is like the mentioned.

sounds like a common problem. i wonder why i've never come across any mention of it b4?

I've posed this same question/problem before... hope we can find the answer though.

i saw this symptoms rather in glasshouses situations or whilst probagating with a dome.

the leaves are aswell more elongated and even if you roll them out again,they look far more narrow than usual. all i can say is, "it goes away again by itselfe". changeing the location of the plants helps often, as does repotting...

My leaves were like this once, then it rained and the new growth seemed really good. This means one of two things to me, the water is too full of impurities, or the humidity was no good. Alternatively it could have been the sudden heat change that we are all experiencing at the moment. Salvia is such an emotional plant for me, i think she has to get used to you before she'll do any real growing :)

Someone said to use Azaelia potting mix too(PH)?

It's hard to say re:humidity and browning edges, on a single plant there has been different sections all over the plant with different problems.

Some new growth grows distorted, some grows perfectly and gradually gets dying tips, and some grows perfectly nice dark and healthy. These can all be at around the same height, same light conditions. All new growth occuring at the same time. All growth was outside of a tube like humidity cover (circled around the pot and extended ~70cm upward)

It's a fascinating plant, yet tricky to fully understand, hope we can compile lots of info about her.

Speaking of problems, an older plant lost its entire foliage over winter (pot bound and root problems i'm guessing + frost) Only lots of bare stems left. Now new growth is coming on strong. She is extremely hardy in my experience.

one thing i found was to be careful using fertilizers like manures and blood and bone,especially if they dont have good ventilation,this means if using domes etc.

i read they dont like the gasses given off,but it may also encourage root rot.

t s t .

A person i know has just prepared some beds in the last few weeks, which is basically made up of cow manure, mush compost and few other bits and pieces (some blood and bone too)

Will be interesting to see how they react to this.

Planting is a few more weeks away

There will be no domes or anything like that.

Thanks for the heads up t st.

Hi I have a number of sally plants growing in different parts of the garden under different conditions and have very little leaf curl in any of them after managing my plants for over 6 months I have come to the conclusion that sally loves water I water my plants 2 to 3 times a day. The siol is well drained and the plants are fed every 2 weeks with a variety of fertilizers such as dynamic lifter, seaweed extract & blood & bone (not all of these at once)this seems to stimulate healthy leaf growth.I have 4 healthy plants that produce around 100 grams of dried leaf every 2 weeks. It has also been my experience that the plants respond to regular picking of the mature leaxes by throwing more leaf and divet energy from growing longer stalks regularly picking the leaves stimulates more leaf production and seems to divert energy away from stem growth.conclusion? Water Water Water Feed feed feed Water water water !!

guess u got your plants from

planthelper,

giggle..

edit:

years ago, (in the good times)

:) when still legal... :D

[ 15. November 2003, 14:16: Message edited by: planthelper ]

what state am I in ? a state of anxiety of course!

The state I'm in is warm most of the year round and frost is not a huge problem as I am situated on a hill.