The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spiders

cat nip stoned

After only two pipes of dried cat nip i am extremely intoxicated. I wasnt expecting this much activity - compared to damiana, heimia and muggwort, this is a real winner!

good to hear bm, a lovely plant.

Are you just using dried leaves?

I have a large coffee jar full of flowers with seed removed, will have to try them soon. Would be interesting to see if they differ from the leaves in effects.

Have you found that you achieve different results each time? sometimes 2 pipes will knock you down, while other times it can take 3X+ that dose?

a shiva mix might actually be quite interesting.

from your own garden or dried stuff from pet store?

symbiotic with MJ by any chance?

Question:Is Catnip Catmint..i.e.Nepeta Cataria?

'Cause I've got a nice buzz of one type but Zilch out of another :confused:

BTW. I've had an Xcellent buzz from one non-fruiting passion flower vine,which was growing at a rental years ago(and I didn't get a cutting :( ,but Nada from Hilde Hermes gear!!?

cat-thyme also contains nepalactone and gives a great buzz, but better as an inhalant. Also contains LOADS of neo-c-diterpenoids.

Nice tea too!

mescalito:

Question:Is Catnip Catmint..i.e.Nepeta Cataria?

I've been wondering about this as well. After a bit of digging around on the net, it seems most people say that catnip is Nepeta Cataria (which has white flowers), while catmint is a common name for all varieties of Nepeta, such as Nepeta Mussini (which is not as 'interesting').

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

[ 01. October 2003, 11:47: Message edited by: mrwest ]

Nepeta Cataria is the species name. I ended smoking a lot more of the stuff and had a head ache and lethargy the next day.

Not bad for a cheap plant i bought from Bunnings

mrwest is right i think, except catmint generally refers to Nepeta mussini, not all nepeta species. I could be wrong though.

[ 01. October 2003, 20:13: Message edited by: gerbil ]

Catnip has white flowers(which my mum's siamese cats chew the leaves and get off on! :cool: :cool: )

Whereas the purple flowering variety doesn't seem to attract them :confused:

Are they different geno-types(is that the term?)

Therefore contain different alkaloids?

The other night, smoked about 3 pipes of nepeta cataria flower pods (after seed removal).

smoke was extremely soft and nearly straight away thoughts were much more clear, with a slight light headedness.

After about 30 minutes it started to give me a slight headache, and some pressure on the back of my head, it felt alot like the pressure bufotenine causes, which cleared after about an hour.

I prefered the flower pods over the leaves.

might try it in a tea next time.

a long time ago,in another galaczy[with different spelling] a gnome was trying to smoke dried fly agaric with no success.he had no 'erb so he rolled some catnip and tobacco.fuck it was freaky,blotches of black and of colours were taking over the vision,he thought he was about to loose contact with normal reality.it never quite got to that stage but he was pretty freaked until it wore off after an hour or so.

t s t .

Well, I guess it was lucky for that gnome that the fly argaric didn't work.

hmm ive got a small to medium sized catnip plant that i bought for the cats but they dont seem that interested (although it hasnt flowered yet).

I saw on tv a while ago that there are chemicals in it simular to tom cat urine and they think thats why it effects the cats the way it does (some just completely go into a euphoric daze rolling around for hours).

I thought it might have been interesting. Might have to have a cup of tea and see how it goes. Any serving sugestions? (smoking is bad for your health :) )

hmm definately a good tea. used 3 fresh leaves and made a tea out of it (mixed with regular tea) tastes a bit strange... minty, but deffinately possitive relaxing effects.

ive just finished smoking 2 cones and 2 cigarettes with tob. of catnip, and yes, the effects are very interesting.

definitely has a potentiation effect with MJ.

CEV come immediately, very "scratchy" and "busy".

My experience leads me to conclude that the action is not seretoninergic or dopaminergic, nor is is anticholinergic (no dryness of mouth etc). No typical actions associated with compounds active at these neural sites were present.

However, that leads me to 3 postulates of possible action:

1)Anandaminergic

2)Opoid

3)GABA-ergic

I think I can rule out #1, on the basis that a high fraction oil/nonpolar extract yielded virtually no oils. This however in itself is not a knockdown observation.

#3 interests me because the CEV are similar to certain GABA compounds such as STILNOX.

#2 interests me because the particular "stoned" feeling PLUS CEV indicates that it may yet be another undiscovered psychaedelic opoid agonist.

In fact, the feeling after heavy use is similar to the feeling after low-dose SD intoxication, I can tell that heavy band across my upper parietal lobe...

Anyway, more soon, as I begin to research...

Opioid, perhaps. New plant to find.

From PubMed:

J Pharm Pharmacol. 1998 Jul;50(7):813-7. Related Articles, Links

Erratum in:

J Pharm Pharmacol 1998 Dec;50(12):following 1434. Baser C[corrected to Baser KH]

J Pharm Pharmacol 1998 Oct;50(10):1204. Baser C[corrected to Baser KH]

Nepetalactone: a new opioid analgesic from Nepeta caesarea Boiss.

Aydin S, Beis R, Ozturk Y, Baser KH, Baser C.

Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy and Medicinal and Aromatic Plant and Drug Research Centre (TBAM), Anadolu University, Eskisehir, Turkey.

The essential oils of Nepeta species including Nepeta phyllochlamys P. H. Davis, N. nuda L. ssp. nuda, and N. caesarea Boiss. have been screened by use of the tail-flick and tail immersion (52.5 degrees C) methods. Of the species studied, only N. caesarea showed significant analgesic activity, besides marked sedation, which was also blocked by naloxone, indicating involvement of opioid receptors. Moreover, it was only active on mechanical, not thermal, algesic response which suggests specificity for specific opioid receptor subtypes, excluding mu-opioid receptors. Because 4a alpha,7alpha,7a alpha-nepetalactone is the main component of the essential oil of N. caesarea, and is present at very high levels (92-95%), it is concluded that 4a alpha,7alpha,7a alpha-nepetalactone is the active principle and has a specific opioid receptor subtype agonistic activity.