The Corroboree
smokeydaze

Acacia Identification pt.2

Hey

Well went out to the blue mountains today and after a few hours of searching I'm 90% sure we found the right tree, sorry for the quality of the pics but I hope you can get the idea. If you look closely you can see little buds sprouting out which to me would suggest its getting ready to flower for the dec/jan time which obtus usually flowers in, the leafs were quite thick, the margins were rough and there were usually around 2-3 main veins.

Any help greatly appreciated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30674525@N07/

Yep, thats the one.

Be careful where you take samples up there, it is all protected national park.

Looks like you've found what you were after... they're pretty well everywhere in the Blue Mountains. Problem is they get so many fires through that you generally only find young trees and the type of environment seems to make them long and more spindly (thinner trunks etc) compared to when found in environments with less light exposure from the other types of trees growing.

Edited by -=IndigoSunrise=-

thanks, ye they seemed quite narrow.. for future reference is the blue mountains the best place to look, or should we try some other region (for fuller older trees) - we had thought about around the illawarra area.

Blue Mountains is a Nat. Park and you'll get ass-raped severely if you're caught, and if trees start turning up stripped the rangers will want to catch you bad. I would stay at least 15 minutes out of civilisation and pick spots that get burnt up by fire frequently.

And stay away from older trees, they're the ones that provide the seed that keeps everything going, they've been around for decades... if you find a group of smaller ones, its likely some will have to die as they grow and compete with eachother for space anyway.

Edited by Undergrounder

There are more viable places than the blue mountains around Sydney where there are Obtusifolias... just look it up on some plant ID map (don't have the url on hand)... but there is quite a lot of them too!

Julian.

mmmmmm here we go again...I wonder how people ID'd plants before the net :scratchhead:

very naughty stealing from a national park,

:slap: you cannot legally remove any plant matter without a license

Edited by Conan Troutman

There are more viable places than the blue mountains around Sydney where there are Obtusifolias... just look it up on some plant ID map (don't have the url on hand)... but there is quite a lot of them too!

Julian.

Yea really, have you actually been successful in finding any? Cause those things aren't always correct...

Edited by smokeydaze

Yea really, have you actually been successful in finding any? Cause those things aren't always correct...

hehehe.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I haven't looked around Sydney for Obtusifolias... but I have known about half a dozen people who have!... half the fun is finding them!

Julian.

I haven't seen viable stands of Obtusifolias around Sydney... but I have known about half a dozen people who have!... half the fun is finding them!

No I would definietly say making it is half the fun, finding them is an utter pain in the ass.

No I would definietly say making it is half the fun, finding them is an utter pain in the ass.

The sheer amount of plant and chemical knowledge one has to filter through in order to obtain the tree you're looking for pays off without your knowing, that is until you realised what you have learnt upon striking much deserved success in finding the blessed obtusifolias.

Maybe it's just me but I got into this having first experienced DMT and wanting to track down a way I could experience it again, as it turns out I've lost myself in the botanical world and the appreciation and mindfulness (not to mention patience) it's given me.

There's a lot more to this than the molecule you're looking to smoke.

Finding them is half the fun.

You can take spice out of the bush but you're missing the point if you try taking the bush out of spice.

You can take spice out of the bush but you're missing the point if you try taking the bush out of spice.

Good answer haha.

I dont understand how someone who enjoys the psychedelic experience could hate hunting around in the bush.

I hope this doesn't suggest your motives are from a financial perspective rather than a healing/spiritual one.

Edited by Hyphalknot

Well Im not sure about you guys but it took me around 7 months to find the tree and 4 extraction attempts with the wrong tree. I love hunting around the bush and It was allot of fun at the start but after many expeditions and bushing bashing adventures I just wanted to find it, as each spot we had to search was hours away.

I hit gold only after a long time and many, many mistakes and errors.

When you hit gold once... you find it easier to hit gold again.

Also, around Sydney, there are strains of Maidenii (you know, that big red herring tree) which are said to be very active, with two different people I know, reporting success with it... (i.e. more than 0.5% alkaloid content in the phyllodes and also bark!)

Someone said something to me about an army base? :drool2:

Julian.

Edited by folias

I tried Maidenii twice with nothing but a few micro dots of what might of been crystal..

oh yeah I can relate to this thread..

H.

Edited by Hunab Ku

I tried Maidenii twice with nothing but a few micro dots of what might of been crystal..

yes, you and every other Red Herring chaser... the point is that there are actually strains that are active!

Julian.

Hunab, how about you do your research properly, familiarise yourself with what an obtusifolia looks like, the expected conditions it may grow in, and then go look for it.

If you were prepared with your research there'd be no need to be 'goin mad and using poor innocent wrong trees'.

Hunab, how about you do your research properly, familiarise yourself with what an obtusifolia looks like, the expected conditions it may grow in, and then go look for it.

If you were prepared with your research there'd be no need to be 'goin mad and using poor innocent wrong trees'.

Heheheh I have, I have, I've been doing nothing but for the last yr or so ..in between working 16hrs a day when I had a job I was studying its habitat etc..I guess the tree spirit will coax you in when it is ready and not before. Don't get me wrong its actually a lot of fun and frustrating when you are sure you have the right tree only to find a few spots of white fluff after all the work. I really am into growing you're own, but with this stuff you need an acre at various stages of growth to keep yourself in supply..gotta love botany it gives us humans patience whether we like it or not, you can't rush a tree to grow, I love it.

Hunab. :P

P A T I E N C E = TIME = KNOWLEDGE= WISDOM = OLD AGE = DEATH = RETURN TO THE DIRT = FOOD FOR WORMS = EARTH RULES.

Edited by Hunab Ku