The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Teotzlcoatl

Astrophytum asterias

My Astrophytum asterias "Star Cactus" or "Sand-Dollor Cactus"flowered the other day!

cactus046-2.jpg

cactus048-2.jpg

cactus051.jpg

I attempted a cross but I have no idea if it will work... one of my Lophophora williamsii flowered the same day!

cactus050.jpg

cactus047-2.jpg

What'd you guys think?

~Teotzlcoatl~

P.S.- Does anybody have a picture of an Astropytum fruit? I'd be interested to see what they look like...

Edited by Teotz'

Very nice astro :wub: Gorgeous flowers - I love the pink thru the yellow (and even nicer when there's two out at once). In regard to the cross, dont get your hopes up but best of luck for success (I assume you tried astroXloph, not just self polinating the astro or loph?). Probably more chance of self fertilisation than crossing the two genuses. Beautiful lophie too! :wub:

Thanks Ace!

(I assume you tried astroXloph, not just self polinating the astro or loph?)

Yes Astrophytum to Lophophora and back and forth... :lol:

Probably more chance of self fertilisation than crossing the two genuses.

Does the Astrophytum have any chance of self-fertilization?

Edited by Teotz'

Yes Astrophytum to Lophophora and back and forth...

Worth a shot I suppose, but I'd be very suprised if they fruited with successfully crossed, fertile seeds. No harm in trying tho.

I cant remember (I dont have much in the way of Astros, so dont take in as much info as I do with those that I do grow) - maybe hit the SE and see if you can find a non/fertile table or chart or something? There'd be info via google if you hit an astro club or something (there are a few I think).

Maybe they are in that french file Auxin just posted?

Think french cacti are cowards, too?

Just kiddin'! Just a little yanky humor for y'all!

It'd be worth a look. I know there was info about lophs only in the oldest of the 3 files, but I didnt have time to check out other species.

Racism isnt all that funny in any culture/community IMO ;)

Really nice. I'd like to get hold of some here in South Africa.

I'd love to send you some!

PM me if your serious.

Edited by Teotz'

No, I tried last season. No joy. Nice cacti Teotz'

EDIT:I would be very interested to hear about any results pertaining to an inter-generic hybridisation between Lophophora spp. & Astrophytum asterias & vice versa. If it goes well please post the results here.

Phos-

Edited by Phos D

Nice! The sand dollars are some of my favorite cacti in terms of appearance. I hear gibberillic acid can be used to promote hybridization. Worth a try.

willy-self fertile

asterias-self sterile

your willy will set seed, but most likely be self pollinated...grow them out and see. a cross of these 2 should yield very obviously hybridized babies....and with the astro being the sperm donor (male) the babies from that cross should look more astro than loph, so hopefully should be able to tell fairly soon if grafted :) and if your astro sets viable seed there is a very good chance you did it :) but dont set your heart on it ;)

I can't really get Astrophytum to set seed yet.... even tho I have two!

I wonder whats wrong?!

the pollen seems to release later when the flower is older. try yanking an anther or 2 off and placing that in the other stigma....that's what i do with really stubborn ones!try a paint brush....q-tips are big and also dont release as easily as a brush.

^^ Good advice and 100% correct. The pollen on astros is best collected as the flower is closing on the second day. Keep it in the freezer and pollenate other flowers when they first open. Tie them shut with string or a rubber bands so you know the mother + father.

The pollen on astros is best collected as the flower is closing on the second day.

I never knew that I always thought it was best just after opening...

Guess I learned something new! Is this true for other flowering cacti as well?

some yes, some no. all plants generally have various pollen release times. open flower doesn't always mean pollen release. especially in species where it may be more advantageous to have the stigma and pollen "active" (what is a good word for that?) at different times. like HN said, when the flower is closing. sometimes i even keep dried flowers and use them when in a pinch :)

Maybe of interest? These two were not cultivated.

Not as nice as the flowering images.

post-900-1237015282_thumb.jpg

Edited by trucha

I love pictures of wild plants!

Thanks for posting Mr.Trout!

At my work we romve stamens from flowers that are almost fully opened and leave them to dry over-night... THe next day you should find plenty of pollen has been released from the anther...

Mind you we are working with genetically modified flowers that are almost sterile and we are still able to get decent amounts of pollen from them...

The other bonus to this procedure is you minimize chances of self fertilization!

If you want a detail description of the procedure let me know but its pretty straight forward...

Go for the detailed verison...

I really know very little about flower parts and such.

Nice photo trucha. Very nteresting pattern for a wild plant.

out of curiosity... It looks like a block of ice in the pot. Or is it a crystal?

Maybe of interest? These two were not cultivated.

Not as nice as the flowering images

They look very well protected by their surroundings

out of curiosity... It looks like a block of ice in the pot. Or is it a crystal?

Gotta keep the cacti cool on hot days! :lol: It's a crystal!

My hand is holding a good bit of vegetation out of view to permit that shot. We could wish their surroundings provided adequate protection.

Root plowing and land conversion has destroyed a lot of habitat. Including most of its former habitat in the US. Its pretty hard for nature to provide protection that works against bulldozers and humans.

In times of drought rodents eat the crowns destroying a disturbingly huge percentage of localized populations.

They grow fast and well from seed though so come back when given the chance.

Edited by trucha