The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
dinosaur_hunter

Mother of Thousands being eaten

A couple weeks ago I put my Bryophyllum daigremontianum (Mother of Thousands) outside to get full sun in my garden. I walk out one day only to find that birds (there were triangle shaped bite marks on it) have been nibbling at my baby. Its growth has doubled in the outdoors, but the periodic nibbling could be enough to counteract the benefits. Any suggestions as to how to keep these pests away? (incedentally Bryophyllum is toxic, so hopefully some of the perpetrators will soon learn better).

oh my god people actually try to grow these things? you should see my backyard man, i would have ... i don't know... a thousand mother of thousands, easily.. the most invasive weed i've ever seen, i hate the things.

Perhaps you can plant it outside? If what Unergrounder said is right...

Or perhaps you could cover it with chicken-wire or something of the sort...

...oooor.... get a pellet gun?

You seem like your new... do you have any other cacti?

If not... you should DEF. get yourself a Trichocereus "San Pedro" cactus or two...

Edited by Teotz'

I with undergrounder.

This is a prick of a plant.

I get yearly letters from the council that I have to poison it or they will come and poison it a huge expense.

I have poisoned it three years in a row but still it comes back.

On the plus side, it is the only plant around my place which will grow straight on rock.

Is it native?

Why kill a plant?

This is just for NSW, but i'm sure the problem is similar in other states...

From here

Mother of millions is a declared noxious weed in many areas of NSW.

See www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/noxweed/ for a complete list of declared noxious weeds for each control area

Mother of millions (Bryophyllum delagoense) is a native of Africa and Madagascar and was introduced to Australia as a garden plant. It is a serious weed on the coast and the northwest slopes and plains of New South Wales. Consequently, it is a declared noxious weed in these areas (see map).

I had the plant once, but it was a PAIN IN THE ARSE. I ended up burning it, and it's billions of little fucker babies.

If you don't kill it right, it'll keep coming back, and if you dump it unwanted somewhere, it'll become a pain there...

Edity bit... just saw you are in MN, Dino, whereever the frag that is :), so it might not be the case where you are... For Aussies though, the above is true.

Edited by gilligan

Wow....

So it's not Native. I can see why you would want to kill it then.

Hell, dig 'em up and sell them to silly Americans on eGay or something.

Not really concerned about invasiveness, the winter here would pretty much wipe out any of the little buggers. It's also in a pot, it's a houseplant for me.

This is just for NSW, but i'm sure the problem is similar in other states...

From here

The picture in that pdf is insane, though I doubt I will have any problem with invasiveness. Garlic Mustard is our weed big invasive and at least that's tasty.

I just started collecting succulents this summer, I have crassula ovata (Jade) , a bunch of euphorbia trigona (African Milk Tree), Aloe vera, Pilosocereus azurescens, and Myrtillocactus geometrizans. If I ever run into a San Pedro I will definately pick one up (what I mistook the Myrtillocactus for). Right now the highlight of my collection are my yellow-flowered Datura Innoxia, though.

Ya getcha a Trichocereus man... they are probably the easiest cactus (if not botanicals) I've ever grown...

It's easier than corn :)

Not really concerned about invasiveness, the winter here would pretty much wipe out any of the little buggers. It's also in a pot, it's a houseplant for me.

Being in a pot inside won't stop it from magicaly appearing all over your property and all down your street. There are nicer plants to grow anyway. Hell, I'd rather a prickly pear than a Motherfukker of Millions.

kill it

Ahahaha! This plant must suck!

Just wondering if you know what kind of bird actually tried to eat it.

I have about an acre of the Fkn stuff gone feral down the back and i've never seen anything try and eat it.

A goat will eat it if its tethered and has nothing else to eat... but isn't it poisonous?

Hillbilly

Livestock are supposed to eat it.

I think it is supposed to be bad for their heart.

thought i'd mention mother of MILLIONS too...lest some of us mix the two up...ain't SHE some kinda SUPERWEED and not the hippie crack kind neither..although if you could gene splice them....waffle waffle waffle

thought i'd mention mother of MILLIONS too...lest some of us mix the two up...ain't SHE some kinda SUPERWEED and not the hippie crack kind neither..although if you could gene splice them....waffle waffle waffle

yeah you're right in australia we have Bryophyllum delagoense (mother of millions) which is seriously F'd

not sure if B. daigremontianum is in australia or whether it would present a risk if it were.

I remember something about some kind of bufotoxin?

I have had moderate success (in particular circumstances) with glypho n wetting agent but in hindsight, wondering if it was the wetter stripping the waxes and the weather did the rest.

Also napalm... Roundup Of the Gods. :devil:

I love the smell of singed eyebrows in the morning :P

VM

matter o fact i seem to recall my tafe teacher...set the wayback machine for....saying that m. o m. could photosynthesize in the dark like it could convert starches to sugars and then process it when the lights went out...popping viable seed right out of the flower a million times over...sorry to highjack your thread n all o.p. but you know ...beauties rich n rare..and all that :lol: p.s. here comes spring woo hoo...please dont report me

Heck, great!! I got two of these, I thought they are some kind of Calanchoe.. well maybe they are...