The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Legba

Fry me kangaroo down

Link

It’s just meat, okay? Get over it. If you’re really green at heart, and not a vegetarian, then you ought to think about eating Skippy...

If somebody could ship me some Kangaroo meat I would be most appeciative.

Or how about a live one?

Edited by Teotz'

Delicious meat and there's no good reason not to eat it. Just don't cook it too long. Don't go further than medium rare for a steak.

If you have to have your meat well done then slice it real thin perpendicular to the grain of the meat and sear in a wok with your favourite Asian sauces for a couple of minutes.

One of my favs is Vietnamese Kangaroo Noodle Salad.... oh yeah... :drool2:

"It is we who created the kangaroo population imbalance; and harvesting them helps set it right. "

no, setting it right would be harvesting humans... especially the fucks that get us into such situations!

I can get you some LOVELY fresh roomeat Teotz, pretenderised at that :P Wallaby is ok too, smaller animal more suited for making say nuggets or sausages :lol:

It can taste ok, makes a good jerky as its really lean... if you've ever had deer Teotz, think a mature male at the start of summer, and take out half the taste? Kind of. Not bad. Not great. Good in lil marinated bits, flash grill.

Wild ones can be infested with worms and other parasites, some country ppl feed their working dogs roo and emu with the worms in to provide them (supposedly) with some kind of immunity to them... don't know if it works. My other half is a country girl, mention eating any of our better known forms of mobile speedbumps around her and she just shudders, haha.

People do get awfully funny about eating them from the lovey dovey side of things, but if you eat any grazing animals in a commercial sense, probably better off with a lower impact one like a roo than some big innefficient needy hard hoofed root-ripper like most things we farm.

VM

i found roo very disappointing. heavy flavouring is needed.

maybe a good idea is to make sishkebabs.

having said that, taste is not everything.

if you eat any grazing animals in a commercial sense, probably better off with a lower impact one like a roo than some big innefficient needy hard hoofed root-ripper like most things we farm.

Even more important than the land degradation issue due to grazing (IMO) is the issue of climate - Roo is a carbon free meat.

I used to get it from a local butcher. Now I don't eat any meat, but I am considering going carnivorous again, although it would only be low impact animals such as natives and ferals.

.. and that pre-tenderised stuff vert mentioned?

roo is carbon neutral? interesting to think that a roo eater is leaving a much smaller footprint than a vegetarian (who shops at woolies).

roo is carbon neutral?

Well, kangaroos exhale CO2 like all other animals, but they don't burp and fart methane like ruminants. Methane is over 20 times more potent as a GHG than CO2, so animal agriculture makes a big contribution to climate change.

i found roo very disappointing. heavy flavouring is needed.

maybe a good idea is to make sishkebabs.

having said that, taste is not everything.

All the flavour goes in the stink cooking it ;)

But seriously, roo meat has been on the menu as long as I can remember?! Is there a consensus that it's not on these days? Weird.

I remember sitting at my cousins place out the back around the fire, where my cousins dad would tell us about cooking roo tails.. Was funny too, because at the same time, he'd mention that all us white fellas were out the back around the fire listening to yarns, while all the nyungar kids were inside around the nintendo.

And yer right, roo meat is definitely a tender cook - or its leather.

Maybe we should start a roo farm where they're fed beer to make them succulent, a sort of kobe roo! ;)

Well, kangaroos exhale CO2 like all other animals, but they don't burp and fart methane like ruminants. Methane is over 20 times more potent as a GHG than CO2, so animal agriculture makes a big contribution to climate change.

Indeed, there was a recent study (ongoing?) that was looking into the way a roo's gut bacteria produce acetate, which means they dont produce methane as a byproduct of digestion, and working out if its possible to alter cows/other ruminant's genetic makeup to do the same.

Sure, we'll end up with a bug that runs amok in the wild destroying humanity and causing mutant brain eating zombies, but they wont fart !!

Genetics.. ;) god's april fools trick to intelligence.

(really tho, it is an idea worth looking into, imo - it may be as simple as adding a bacteria strain to the livestock feed.)

I read this. It makes some good points. Although you can always expect the hippies to advocate not killing furry animals...

http://www.awpc.org.au/kangaroos/sustainability.htm

The Bundjalung dudes I spoke to reckon you can't eat Grey Kangaroo as it's not good meat.

Someone else mentioned that there is really no kangaroo "farming" going on, they pretty much go out there and shoot a fuckload of 'roos.

I thought there was a recent CSIRO paper about feeding cattle cottonseed or rapeseed instead of their usual feed to completely eliminate methane in the fartage. This of course doesn't address the hard-hoof (and other) issue.

I like the stuff they sell at Woolies and smogs is a good cook. But then again I eat chorizo sausages and bacon and meat pies from the servo and all that :lol:

Buying something from woolies that you can probably skittle on the way to do your late night shop sounds funny to me :P Thats the tenderised kind I meant thunder... there's a great spot to keep the tourists n real estate speculators guessing about half an hour up the road from me, someone has hit (I think) a big red male that had tried twice before to climb in thru my driverside door around sunset... most ppl this way have the full blown high set landcruiser with 7 post 200 kilo mammal shredding attachment on the front... it's turned a 6 foot animal into literally a 30 metre stretch of pure red road... we did notice a reduced level of tirekickers and whatnot until the rain washed most of it off. Could be an idea for anyone else living an area at risk from totalitarian compact fourby drivers.

Doesn't get any more tender than that, anyway.

Sina, never use the C word around me again (chorizo, that is) I do ok as a hunter of ferocious legumes until someone does something like that!

VM

So Turkish sausage is ok to mention then?

sausage.jpg

EDIT: We got foxes and possums and DEER no 'roos here Vert!

Edited by Sina

if you've ever had deer Teotz

I love venison!

roos good, i've eaten roadkill a couple of times. freshly tenderized by myself of course :lol:

Don't forget the organ meat.

Bull balls fried are called rocky mountain oysters in the U.S..

The brain is also eaten.

And last, the thyroid, which is spongy but tastes like the best beef. Surprising.

All the above is light flavored.

Alot less than liver. I am not of fan of kidneys as it gets over cooked to rapidly and simillar to liver but less flavored.

So when slaughtering a Roo don't forget the organ meats.

Of course the women of the house might have a question of why you are carrying brains, balls and thyroid tissue in plastic zip bags.

So a reasonable explaination is in order, as road kill.

Barbecue, you do yourself might be the way to go for a initial first culinary organ meat meal experince for the family.

Yep no probs there Sina, once I read "turkish" my mind automatically diverts to "red" "coffee" or "bread" so the pain fades pretty quickly! And you probably used to have roos until all the pollies rocked up... they didnt want to be shown up by an even lazier pack of back scratchers who try to stay out of the sun :lol:

Devance, the woman of this house would eat more animal parts in a month than I would in 10 years, but you get that when you grew up in Gulf country (Carpentaria that is, not Persian). if I plate up a good stake I have to get my hand away real quick of I'd be counting to 10 by taking a sock off. But then we only got our lil one to eat some fresh barra by telling her it was tofu, to start with...funny old world.

Organs are alright, but have to watch eating organs or really any part of wild animals without a very good visual, check liver for flukes etc, brain for cavities, then cook like hell unless you're one of those still bleeding and bleating kind of meat eaters. Esp given macropod habits of laying in damp soil under trees etc, very worth your while to check it out properly first. We don't get hookworms like PNG but then its not like all our soil life has been thoroughly researched, exactly. certainly have seen a lot of wormy and ulcerous pockets in muscle and just under skin on roos and wallabies, thats why they scratch so much... bugs n such living in their skin, plus the usual sand fleas and bush ticks too. they need goanna oil, haha.

This whole thing reminds me of the case a while ago when a Mr. Mailman ate an echidna :P

Deer is pretty tasty, in Torres Strait they shoot a lot of em (and pigs too) over on prince of wales island... extra chilli and fresh tamarind on a big plate of satay deer and coconut sticky rice... amazing! But if you call it venison people get confused, so its just deer.

I'm more prone to reefing the car over to the side of the road to knock off a shirtful of fruit or herbs, but a few ppl we know see roadkill as free dogfood, if its fresh.

VM

umm, what happened when Mr. Mailman ate an echidna ?

i have heard it's the creme de la creme of possible roadkills ...

well, actually, just a native delicacy

Never tried this.

but haven't to Hong Kong.

http://www.cajuncookingrecipes.com/wildgam...illorecipes.htm

'Armadillos are very abundant in certain parts of the Southeast. Perhaps because of their unusual appearance or because they are known as pests in lawns and gardens, armadillos are often ignored by hunters. Armadillos have a very light, tender, tasty meat. Armadillo meat is delicious by simply cooking by pan fried in butter.'

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,armadillo_eggs,FF.html

I never new they laid eggs I thought they were marsuptials.

'1. ARMADILLO EGGS

You may use fresh, ... the shape of elongated egg. Use enough to cover pepper well. Dip armadillo egg in beaten egg ... peppers depending on heat desired.

Ingredients: 7 (bake .. cheese .. egg .. meat .. peppers* ...)

2. ARMADILLO EGGS-JALAPENOS

Make slit in top of jalapenos to remove seeds and membranes, then stuff with cheese so you can close pepper to original shape. Encase peppers with ...

Ingredients: 4 (bake ...)

3. TEXAS ARMADILLO EGGS

Cut end off Jalapeno ... covering completely. Dip in egg and roll in Bisquick and Shake 'n' Bake pork. Place armadillo eggs on ungreased cookie sheet. ... 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Ingredients: 6 (peppers .. pork .. sausage ...)

4. ARMADILLO EGGS

Remove seeds from peppers. Stuff with Monterey Jack cheese. Make dough with Cheddar cheese, Bisquick and sausage (works best if you use your hands to ...

Ingredients: 6 (bake .. cheese .. sausage ...)

5. ARMADILLO EGGS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut stems from top of jalapenos and remove seed. Stuff with grated cheese. Pat sausage into thin patty to wrap around ...

Ingredients: 4 (hot .. jalapenos .. pork ...)

6. ARMADILLO EGGS

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.. Slit peppers and stuff with cheese. Make a thin pattie of sausage and wrap it around the stuffed pepper. Place on a ...

Ingredients: 4 (biscuits .. peppers .. sausage ...)

7. ARMADILLO EGGS

Set sausage out while getting everything ready, so it can be about room temperature. Cut the stem end off of the peppers and scrap out the seeds. ...

Ingredients: 4 (bake .. peppers .. sausage ...)

8. ARMADILLO EGGS

Cut jalapenos in half lengthwise, remove seeds and set aside. In large bowl, mix sausage, Bisquick and cheese. Take a jalapeno half and make a ball ...

Ingredients: 5 (cheddar .. fry .. jalapenos .. sausage ...)

9. ARMADILLO EGGS

Melt 20 oz. almond bark. Stick 2 pecan halves together with dab of melted almond bark. Let sit several hours or overnight. Melt additional almond ...

10. ARMADILLO EGGS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove seeds from peppers and slice in half lengthwise. Fill each pepper half with shredded cheese. Set aside. Add ...

Ingredients: 6 (peppers .. sausage ...)

Result Page: 1 2 3 Next

I have arkansas genes[the movie deliverance] so I best talk about such a alternate food source as soon as possible with the relatives.