The Corroboree

FACT

Functional

Agreement on a

Consensus at this

Time

Ideas change all the time.

If one in every million people disagrees, does this prevent consensus and hence FACT?

A Fact is

The bit of skin

between the muckhole

and the F%hole

if you slip

your in the shit

and that's a fact.

Edited by Free Man

hehe excellent 1st post free man.

MORG. a fact is just an agreement anyway. Nothing ever becomes or ceases being a fact. People either believe in something or they don't. Also... bare with the free association, consensus to me implies seeking consent for believing something. So if everybody else believes something to be true, you have consent to believe the same and consider it a fact. It's a matter of who you trust, me or you. It is the juxtaposition of individual and collective, and the truth is an ever shifting interplay of the two, and who is most convincing in their claim to authority of the truth. Institutions are only as convincing as their years of indoctrination. Plants can shift the certainty of facts in an individual and collective, much more convincingly and efficiently: Direct Mystical Transmissions

the only constant is change. Any concept of truth is merely a transient construct.

Not entirely sure I agree Dude. What about all the many religions with thousands of followers believing in invisible characters (gods, angels, demons, etc) - are they factual just becuase lots of people believe in them? I like to think of facts being things that cannot be proved wrong, such as gravity.

And freeman, that was a classic :lol:

Edited for 'beefiness':

Fact: The H2O molecule freezes or solidifies at 0 degrees centigrade and boils or becomes gaseous at 100 degrees centigrade.

Fact: There are 1000 millimetres in 1 meter

Fact: 11,111 multiplied by 11,111 gives 123,454,321 (funky maths equation :))

Not a fact: Heaven and Hell exist

Not a fact: All polititians are crooked

Not a fact: Extraterestrial life has visited Earth

Now many people will argue against the 'Not a fact's', many quite convincingly, but that doesnt make them any more factual without physical evience to back it up, preventing it from being proved wrong or nullified.

Edited by Ace

Fact: The H2O molecule freezes or solidifies at 0 degrees centigrade and boils or becomes gaseous at 100 degrees centigrade.

--at sea level, at higher altitudes (= lower pressures) water boils at lower temperatures and vice-versa.

Fact: There are 1000 millimetres in 1 meter

who/what defines "meter"?, who/what defines "milimeter"?. Can you be sure that the milimeters on that 99 cent wooden ruler you bought in K-mart are all exactly defined to the standard? even on a quantum scale?

Fact: 11,111 multiplied by 11,111 gives 123,454,321 (funky maths equation smile.gif)

prove it.

here's the proof that 1+1=2:

principia.gif

can you prove your math?

The melting point of water at 1 atmosphere of pressure is very close to 0 °C (32 °F, 273.15 K), and in the presence of nucleating substances the freezing point of water is close to the melting point, but in the absence of nucleators water can super cool to −42 °C (−43.6 °F, 231 K) before freezing. Under high pressure (2,000 atmospheres) water will super cool to as low as −70°C (−94°F, 203 K) before freezing

LINK

--at sea level, at higher altitudes (= lower pressures) water boils at lower temperatures and vice-versa.

Another fact.

who/what defines "meter"?, who/what defines "milimeter"?. Can you be sure that the milimeters on that 99 cent wooden ruler you bought in K-mart are all exactly defined to the standard? even on a quantum scale?

The metric system which is used by all but 3 nations across the globe. Whether or not a cheap ruler is entirely accurate or not has nothing to do with the basis of the metric system... Fact is that the system defines that there is and can only be 1000mm to 1m.

can you prove your math?

No, I was always crap at maths - but I'll let my and anyone elses average* calculator prove it for me.

*Dont bother trying to find some fancy arsed calculator that functions in some unusual way - I'm talking about your average calculator that is utilised by almost every mathematically minded country worldwide.

Interesting fact Conan :lol:

People can keep laying shit on my examples, but they are still very much factual (although they could have been written out over several pages to make them comprehensive) But note they are only very short examples used to illustrate my above point and due to them being so short and lacking intricate detail, of course people can pick away at them.

Fact: Some people will believe anything.

FACT

I think I will stick by my origoinal post. Who cares about the rest of the shit. We all are caught up in a financial prison and all the bickering about a whole lot of BS just stops us seeing the world as the prison it really is. That is the beauty of entheogens They show us the world the way it should be, They allow us to stop caring about what a FACT is!!

Take a closer look, prove me wrong - I don't care!!!

Who cares about the rest of the shit. We all are caught up in a financial prison and all the bickering about a whole lot of BS just stops us seeing the world as the prison it really is.

So that should stop us from discussing things? Whether or not we are all stuck in a prison called reality shouldn't stop people from communicating, discussing, debating and learning from each other.

That is the beauty of entheogens They show us the world the way it should be

I couldn't agree more :)

No Don't take it offensively what I am saying is there is no point making an argument of it.

A solicitor once told me that a fact i[in the legal sense] is when for example in court you satnd up and argue the sky is green and someone else say no it is blue when the a third say "its green" it becomes a fact. so in reality there is no real facts. My reality tells me that argument is frivolous.

I beleive all the little things we argue about ie who is the better politician? etc they are created to blind us to the reality. We het caught up in the little things and fail to see the truth about what is really happening in our world.

As I said please don't take offense - but - is it worth an argument, converse by all means but it is futile to exclaim your thoughts as being the only correct thoughts. as we each beleive what we beleive in. We just have to accept what eachother has to say. Why must we prove this and prove that in a forum where we are all friends in anonymity to the larger degree.

please don't take offense

Not at all :) Each opinion is welcome here (or it certainly should be). I was just curious as to your thought process behind your post.

A solicitor once told me that a fact i[in the legal sense] is when for example in court you satnd up and argue the sky is green and someone else say no it is blue when the a third say "its green" it becomes a fact. so in reality there is no real facts. My reality tells me that argument is frivolous.

I think thats what the Dude was alluding to. I still think otherwise - just because several people believe something doesnt make it factual, especially if it goes against logic. However in a court or something, people can be pursuaded to think certain things (such as they sky being green) if they are lead by a moron or someone intentionally leading them astray (lawyers could of course fall under either category :P). At the end of the day though, I think there are still vast differences between facts and perceived truths.

We just have to accept what eachother has to say. Why must we prove this and prove that in a forum where we are all friends in anonymity to the larger degree.

Totally agree that we have to accept each others opinions. The reason we are debating (despite our similarities in backgrounds and the place where we are doing the debating) is simply because it is a human trait/instinct to learn through discussion - whether it is via direct or argumentative (debating) means. I dont think anyone here is at boiling point (or any truly negative state) where this argument would pose any negative risk. Hence I dont think there is any harm done by debating things like this at all - if anything it only leads to constructive thoughts. Plus, isnt philosophy all about questioning reality and the world around us? :)

Yes what dude said!

So is the sky green or blue? What is Green and what is blue? and who says? It is blue because we have been trained to beleive that is what blue looks like?

Free man,

I like you're vibe - very similar to my own state of mind...

Though the crux of this philosophy is: everything is nothing and nothing is everything

Once you accept there are no facts, no universal rights or wrongs, no great truths, no meaningful bearings only relative reference points, what then?

It is beneficial to bite the bullet at some point and construct 'facts' based on relative reference points (forgetting the above learnings), as a means of survival in the physical world.

I guess the point is that we need to remember that facts and beliefs are only constructs of a mind trying to cope with it's true nature. The way we defend them so tightly is ludicrous, as you say.

'I don't believe in belief. ...the second you commit to a single belief you preclude all other possibilities.' - T McKenna

:lol:

EDIT: spelling

Edited by ayjay101

it is defined as the distance light travels in a vacum over a certain time (Which the exact number eludes me)

Free man,

I like you're vibe - very similar to my own state of mind...

Though the crux of this philosophy is: everything is nothing and nothing is everything

Once you accept there are no facts, no universal rights or wrongs, no great truths, no meaningful bearings only relative reference points, what then?

It is beneficial to bite the bullet at some point and construct 'facts' based on relative reference points (forgetting the above leanrings), as a means of survival in the physical world.

I guess the point is that we need to remember that facts and beliefs are only constructs of a mind trying to cope with it's true nature. The way we defend them so tightly is ludicrous, as you say.

'I don't believe in belief. ...the second you commit to a single belief you preclue all other possibilities.' - T McKenna

:lol:

I like you're style a well..

"Once you accept there are no facts, no universal rights or wrongs, no great truths, no meaningful bearings only relative reference points" - is that a fact? how can that statement be true if there is no truth?

And as for Terrence, the belief that you don't believe in belief is itself a belief.

but other than that i like your style, i wish more people think this way.

TAO

The way that is, is not the way.

the way is the unspeakable way,

too large to Deny,

Too small to exist.

There are a lot of verses which reflect the thought thhat the true way is not the one that can be spoken,

or written about. I can't explain it because it doesn't exist but ,

if it does not exist and I know it does not exist then it must exist.

It just makes sense that it doesn't make any sense at all..

[edit] spelling mistakes, added some thoughts.

TAO

The way that is, is not the way.

the way is the unspeakable way,

too large to Deny,

Too small to exist.

There are a lot of verses which reflect the thought thhat the true way is not the one that can be spoken,

or written about. I can't explain it because it doesn't exist but ,

if it does not exist and I know it does not exist then it must exist.

It just makes sense that it doesn't make any sense at all..

:D

ahh i'm happy this thread concluded with some mindfuck.. makes perfect sense though. The joy of knowing through not knowing. "All I know is that i don't know nothing"

I like Terrences ideology of having no beliefs. I however think it to be impossible... through the very logic of undergrounder.. that 'no belief' is a belief; all perception is a choice and as such there is no 'un-influenced' truth. It is all a relativistic subjective interplay of truths.

.. that word 'impossible' sounds very tempting to prove wrong.. but then I don't really intend to have a reality of 'pure' experience without any personal agency of what's going on, maybe become the logos manifest on earth and be a total tool of the collective. In any case i don't see the attractiveness or even the possibility of a totally passive existence, which no belief to me implies: Nihilism --> Entropy --> Inexistence.. if this Nietzsche-ian emo thing takes a hold.. like say numbers hit a critical mass and there comes a time when apathy becomes a fact provable by our very inexistence.. then we'll be scratching our heads, on the flipside in imaginationville discussing the improvability of temporarily constructed physical realities.

Our Facts, our beliefs, our hopes and fears shape the direct experience of the reality around us.. so if it's in terms of empirical evidence we can keep 'facts' slotted into the categorical system they employ, but when it comes to appreciating reality, there is a much larger context to be experienced that flows like water over the rigid structures of mind.

I'm just trying to build something of an internet consensus thingo... of how certain we are of the rock we live on.. that being fundamental laws of physics and so on as the cause.. or the effect of the psyche. Does it influence our beliefs or is it created by them? .. is there a difference? muthafuckin Matrix man.. sure gravity is a constant law, but the mind transcends all such limitations, as we manifest our will in this open source program. Some fuckers hold onto code for their own greedy ends but 'the revolution' have 1337 h4x0rs anyway.

hmm whole point of this was to keep it short and sweet and have you lot argue semantics until you prove my point about the essentially unprovability of all things, as there is always one that disagrees, as such a fact is nothing more than an agreement, that serves to function as a relative reference point, that we can agree we agree on, in as much as i think i can empathise and understand reality as you do.

Common agreements serve to build our relationships to each other and the environment, and are prone to change as we grow in understanding. The Psyche is fragmented into specific fields of expertise, as the collective divvies up harmonically, so it is a function to only disclose part of the truth as that part of society 'needs' to understand it at the time.. for the purposes of balance or some NWO crap.

All scientific discoveries get outdated in due time, they are merely an educated guess. There has been anecdotal evidence experienced through an entire collective that suggests a timeless reality that is merely reflected within this temporary reality. The other is forever unseen, but by our very existence it is implied. A harmonic self similarity that keeps getting forgotten and remembered "The more that things change, the more they're the same"

There may indeed be much larger 'laws' like gravity and the like that we may even be unaware of.. that are more in tune with a poetic or comedic understanding of the psyche than a rational one. Or it is spoken through the soul language of music.

I suppose the nature of these 'communications' from a transcendant other is they always work by pushing the envelope of understood reality, so that any attempt to classify their factual reality is inherintly impossible anyway.. so wtf am i on about? really? .. oh yeah, I wish to declare as fact, the reality of transcendence as being able to eliminate the certainty of anything as true, and that if we can agree on that much, we can start dismantling this shattered psyche to rebuild it all. How we feel is how we are, is what reality IS.. factually.

What prompted this was people that get really up in arms about other people spouting so and so to be the truth, even without necessarily stating anything as fact. I still felt like re-interpreting not the facts.. but the FACT. The connotation that fact carries with it, the idea of an objective truth, seems too restrictive (even subconsciously) for us to build new functional agreements, that we can have consensus on as more true to the time we're in now. If we believe the limitations, they can't help but prove their existence, so instead of believing in any limiting structure, i doubt most of these facts as anything but a temporary function needed now.

In western society and the ever more materialist east, we have been robbed of our birthright to experience transcendence, to have a talk with the big guy. Get another perspective on the whole thing. We have been made slaves to an alien host, that is killing our minds / realities; the reflection in nature shows scary symbolism of flushing the parasite away via tsunamis and floods. We are but single cells in the larger human being, in the larger animal being, in the larger planetary being.. a cosmic being etc... anyway on even the human level we are so disconnected so as to be unaware of our individual impact in the larger sense. Via transcendence the nexus of time and space is seen to be a direct reflection of perception. ie: Personal responsibility.. for even seeing reality in more of a downer or a positive note, is seen to refract through the whole. This might not be a fact. But It would be a functional agreement to have as a consensus at this time. The larger models of mind we could build having some kind of 'factual' framework to start with.

Maybe my beef isn't with facts, so much as the distinction of science.. and 'pseudo science' as legitimate and illegitimate fields of study for seriously improving our condition... and how the larger population whether consciously or subconsciously is limited in their own, OUR own.. and MY own potential, by their inability to believe based on their prior beliefs. You can't fill a glass if it's already full.

"And we were laughing at the stars

While our feet clung tight to the ground

So pleased with ourselves for using so many verbs and nouns"

Semantic dismantling of words and meaning in this over-intellectualised sorta way is very very lame.. unless the words can evict some emotion. I mean one cannot prove the truth of transcendence through a dry lecture about philosophy and the most abstract of questioning that the head explodes, instead it can be simply done by conveying discrete ideas and reflecting a personal meaning that is timed ever so nicely.

Transcendant ecstatic bliss FTW! In such collective groupthinking realities, we might start agreeing on some more.

Take it easy guys, I hope this is my last brainspill for a bit.

I've talked a lotta crap to get where I am, it got me nowhere, i'ts a fact.

You know when you're sure

that no one gives a crap,

you're on the right track

It's a fact

And when you believe,

things are good

it's guaranteed

you're up your ass

It's a fact

Morons through

the world,

and it's shitty place

no one ever asked to be born

It's a fact

You know every time

you think you've got it right,

you're totally wrong

It's a fact

And when you really try

the efforts misapplied

or there's a catch

It's a fact

When you've got a sure thing,

you're sure to fuck it up

It's one thing you can count on every time

It's a fact

What can you do?

Absolutely nothing

don't even try to amount to something

It will never work and Hitler is a jerk,

and soon we'll all be dead anyway

It's a fact

(you suck)

In five billion years

the sun will explode

It's in the bible

It's a fact

And no one will know

that we were ever here

It's a fact

It's a fact

So rest assured in knowing

that what you do don't matter

Some one can do it better anyway

It's a fact

It's a fact

Edited by The Dude

:bong:

I think it is possible to say that you don't believe in beliefs, and doing this is not itself a belief - it is simply knowing what you're thinking.

If you have to believe that you're thinking something when you really are thinking it you would also have to believe that you believe you're thinking it and so on to infinity, which makes it impossible to rest your belief on anything in the first place, and without having any convincing laurel, you also cease to exist.

This is Ego death - we've all been there, wondering 'Did I just think that, or did I just think I thought that, or did I just think I thought that I thought that?!?' Usually followed by, 'Fuck this, I only wanted pretty colours and patterns!'. :P

But then you come back, gratefully reborn into your Ego, knowing you're thoughts once again, and not having to believe you're having them. The end of the trip is realising what you're experiencing is coming from the physical senses once again and not from Nth-level though loop. If we didn't know what we are thinking we would always be in ego death, and this is not the case I think. The ecstasy is great when we realise 'I'm back! I really exist!' - this is when you know what you're thinking once again, and no longer have to choose to believe it.

Believing in something external (whether the sky is green) is different to believing something internal (Believing that you believe the sky is green). Because we don't 'believe' in internal things, we 'know' them (We know we believe the sky is green = we believe the sky is green).

:bong:

All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Principia Discordia

Just for interest sake [take a look at chapter 75 it is interesting

Tao te Ching

by Lao-tzu

Gregory Bodenhamer PeopleNology

PeopleNology PeopleTopia PeopleTopian

[email protected]

[email protected]

(Sacred Books of the East, Vol 39) [1891]

81 Verses Tao Te Ching English Version Gregory Bodenhamer PeopleNology

Nollijy University Mechanicsburg Pa 17055

Tao Te Ching

Chapter 1

The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao

The name that can be named is not the eternal name

The nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth

The named is the mother of myriad things

Thus, constantly without desire, one observes its essence

Constantly with desire, one observes its manifestations

These two emerge together but differ in name

The unity is said to be the mystery

Mystery of mysteries, the door to all wonders

Chapter 2

When the world knows beauty as beauty, ugliness arises

When it knows good as good, evil arises

Thus being and non-being produce each other

Difficult and easy bring about each other

Long and short reveal each other

High and low support each other

Music and voice harmonize each other

Front and back follow each other

Therefore the sages:

Manage the work of detached actions

Conduct the teaching of no words

They work with myriad things but do not control

They create but do not possess

They act but do not presume

They succeed but do not dwell on success

It is because they do not dwell on success

That it never goes away

Chapter 3

Do not glorify the achievers

So the people will not squabble

Do not treasure goods that are hard to obtain

So the people will not become thieves

Do not show the desired things

So their hearts will not be confused

Thus the governance of the sage:

Empties their hearts

Fills their bellies

Weakens their ambitions

Strengthens their bones

Let the people have no cunning and no greed

So those who scheme will not dare to meddle

Act without contrivance

And nothing will be beyond control

Chapter 4

The Tao is empty

When utilized, it is not filled up

So deep! It seems to be the source of all things

It blunts the sharpness

Unravels the knots

Dims the glare

Mixes the dusts

So indistinct! It seems to exist

I do not know whose offspring it is

Its image is the predecessor of the Emperor

Chapter 5

Heaven and Earth are impartial

And regard myriad things as straw dogs

The sages are impartial

And regard people as straw dogs

The space between Heaven and Earth

Is it not like a bellows?

Empty, and yet never exhausted

It moves, and produces more

Too many words hasten failure

Cannot compare to keeping quiet

Chapter 6

The valley spirit, undying

Is called the Mystic Female

The gateway of the Mystic Female

Is called the root of Heaven and Earth

It flows continuously, barely perceptible

When utilized, it is never exhausted

Chapter 7

Heaven and Earth are everlasting

The reason Heaven and Earth can last forever

Is that they do not exist for themselves

Thus they can last forever

Therefore the sages:

Places themselves last but end up in front

Are outside of themselves and yet survive

Is it not due to their selflessness?

That is how they can achieve their own goals

Chapter 8

The highest goodness resembles water

Water greatly benefits myriad things without contention

It stays in places that people dislike

Therefore it is similar to the Tao

Dwelling with the right location

Feeling with great depth

Giving with great kindness

Speaking with great integrity

Governing with great administration

Handling with great capability

Moving with great timing

Because it does not contend

It is therefore beyond reproach

Chapter 9

Holding a cup and overfilling it

Cannot be as good as stopping short

Pounding a blade and sharpening it

Cannot be kept for long

Gold and jade fill up the room

No one is able to protect them

Wealth and position bring arrogance

And leave disasters upon oneself

When achievement is completed, fame is attained

Withdraw oneself

This is the Tao of Heaven

Chapter 10

In holding the soul and embracing oneness

Can one be steadfast, without straying?

In concentrating the energy and reaching relaxation

Can one be like an infant?

In cleaning away the worldly view

Can one be without imperfections?

In loving the people and ruling the nation

Can one be without manipulation?

In the heavenly gate's opening and closing

Can one hold to the feminine principle?

In understanding clearly all directions

Can one be without intellectuality?

Bearing it, rearing it

Bearing without possession

Achieving without arrogance

Raising without domination

This is called the Mystic Virtue

Chapter 11

Thirty spokes join in one hub

In its emptiness, there is the function of a vehicle

Mix clay to create a container

In its emptiness, there is the function of a container

Cut open doors and windows to create a room

In its emptiness, there is the function of a room

Therefore, that which exists is used to create benefit

That which is empty is used to create functionality

Chapter 12

The five colors make one blind in the eyes

The five sounds make one deaf in the ears

The five flavors make one tasteless in the mouth

Racing and hunting make one wild in the heart

Goods that are difficult to acquire make one cause damage

Therefore the sages care for the stomach and not the eyes

That is why they discard the other and take this

Chapter 13

Favor and disgrace make one fearful

The greatest misfortune is the self

What does "favor and disgrace make one fearful" mean?

Favor is high; disgrace is low

Having it makes one fearful

Losing it makes one fearful

This is "favor and disgrace make one fearful"

What does "the greatest misfortune is the self" mean?

The reason I have great misfortune

Is that I have the self

If I have no self

What misfortune do I have?

So one who values the self as the world

Can be given the world

One who loves the self as the world

Can be entrusted with the world

Chapter 14

Look at it, it cannot be seen

It is called colorless

Listen to it, it cannot be heard

It is called noiseless

Reach for it, it cannot be held

It is called formless

These three cannot be completely unraveled

So they are combined into one

Above it, not bright

Below it, not dark

Continuing endlessly, cannot be named

It returns back into nothingness

Thus it is called the form of the formless

The image of the imageless

This is called enigmatic

Confront it, its front cannot be seen

Follow it, its back cannot be seen

Wield the Tao of the ancients

To manage the existence of today

One can know the ancient beginning

It is called the Tao Axiom

Chapter 15

The Tao masters of antiquity

Subtle wonders through mystery

Depths that cannot be discerned

Because one cannot discern them

Therefore one is forced to describe the appearance

Hesitant, like crossing a wintry river

Cautious, like fearing four neighbors

Solemn, like a guest

Loose, like ice about to melt

Genuine, like plain wood

Open, like a valley

Opaque, like muddy water

Who can be muddled yet desist

In stillness gradually become clear?

Who can be serene yet persist

In motion gradually come alive?

One who holds this Tao does not wish to be overfilled

Because one is not overfilled

Therefore one can preserve and not create anew

Chapter 16

Attain the ultimate emptiness

Hold on to the truest tranquility

The myriad things are all active

I therefore watch their return

Everything flourishes; each returns to its root

Returning to the root is called tranquility

Tranquility is called returning to one's nature

Returning to one's nature is called constancy

Knowing constancy is called clarity

Not knowing constancy, one recklessly causes trouble

Knowing constancy is acceptance

Acceptance is impartiality

Impartiality is sovereign

Sovereign is Heaven

Heaven is Tao

Tao is eternal

The self is no more, without danger

Chapter 17

The highest rulers, people do not know they have them

The next level, people love them and praise them

The next level, people fear them

The next level, people despise them

If the rulers' trust is insufficient

Have no trust in them

Proceeding calmly, valuing their words

Task accomplished, matter settled

The people all say, "We did it naturally"

Chapter 18

The great Tao fades away

There is benevolence and justice

Intelligence comes forth

There is great deception

The six relations are not harmonious

There is filial piety and kind affection

The country is in confused chaos

There are loyal ministers

Chapter 19

End sagacity; abandon knowledge

The people benefit a hundred times

End benevolence; abandon righteousness

The people return to piety and charity

End cunning; discard profit

Bandits and thieves no longer exist

These three things are superficial and insufficient

Thus this teaching has its place:

Show plainness; hold simplicity

Reduce selfishness; decrease desires

Chapter 20

Cease learning, no more worries

Respectful response and scornful response

How much is the difference?

Goodness and evil

How much do they differ?

What the people fear, I cannot be unafraid

So desolate! How limitless it is!

The people are excited

As if enjoying a great feast

As if climbing up to the terrace in spring

I alone am quiet and uninvolved

Like an infant not yet smiling

So weary, like having no place to return

The people all have surplus

While I alone seem lacking

I have the heart of a fool indeed – so ignorant!

Ordinary people are bright

I alone am muddled

Ordinary people are scrutinizing

I alone am obtuse

Such tranquility, like the ocean

Such high wind, as if without limits

The people all have goals

And I alone am stubborn and lowly

I alone am different from them

And value the nourishing mother

Chapter 21

The appearance of great virtue

Follows only the Tao

The Tao, as a thing

Seems indistinct, seems unclear

So unclear, so indistinct

Within it there is image

So indistinct, so unclear

Within it there is substance

So deep, so profound

Within it there is essence

Its essence is supremely real

Within it there is faith

From ancient times to the present

Its name never departs

To observe the source of all things

How do I know the nature of the source?

With this

Chapter 22

Yield and remain whole

Bend and remain straight

Be low and become filled

Be worn out and become renewed

Have little and receive

Have much and be confused

Therefore the sages hold to the one as an example for the world

Without flaunting themselves – and so are seen clearly

Without presuming themselves – and so are distinguished

Without praising themselves – and so have merit

Without boasting about themselves – and so are lasting

Because they do not contend, the world cannot contend with them

What the ancients called "the one who yields and remains whole"

Were they speaking empty words?

Sincerity becoming whole, and returning to oneself

Chapter 23

Sparse speech is natural

Thus strong wind does not last all morning

Sudden rain does not last all day

What makes this so? Heaven and Earth

Even Heaven and Earth cannot make it last

How can humans?

Thus those who follow the Tao are with the Tao

Those who follow virtue are with virtue

Those who follow loss are with loss

Those who are with the Tao, the Tao is also pleased to have them

Those who are with virtue, virtue is also pleased to have them

Those who are with loss, loss is also please to have them

Those who do not trust sufficiently, others have no trust in them

Tao Te Ching

by Lao-tzu

[email protected]

[email protected]

Tao Te Ching

Chapter 24

Those who are on tiptoes cannot stand

Those who straddle cannot walk

Those who flaunt themselves are not clear

Those who presume themselves are not distinguished

Those who praise themselves have no merit

Those who boast about themselves do not last

Those with the Tao call such things leftover food or tumors

They despise them

Thus, those who possesses the Tao do not engage in them

Chapter 25

There is something formlessly created

Born before Heaven and Earth

So silent! So ethereal!

Independent and changeless

Circulating and ceaseless

It can be regarded as the mother of the world

I do not know its name

Identifying it, I call it "Tao"

Forced to describe it, I call it great

Great means passing

Passing means receding

Receding means returning

Therefore the Tao is great

Heaven is great

Earth is great

The sovereign is also great

There are four greats in the universe

And the sovereign occupies one of them

Humans follow the laws of Earth

Earth follows the laws of Heaven

Heaven follows the laws of Tao

Tao follows the laws of nature

Chapter 26

Heaviness is the root of lightness.

Quietness is the master of restlessness

Therefore the sages travel the entire day

Without leaving the heavy supplies

Even though there are luxurious sights

They are composed and transcend beyond

How can the lords of ten thousand chariots

Applies themselves lightly to the world?

To be light is to lose one's root

To be restless is to lose one's mastery

Chapter 27

Good traveling does not leave tracks

Good speech does not seek faults

Good reckoning does not use counters

Good closure needs no bar and yet cannot be opened

Good knot needs no rope and yet cannot be untied

Therefore sages often save others

And so do not abandon anyone

They often save things

And so do not abandon anything

This is called following enlightenment

Therefore the good person is the teacher of the bad person

The bad person is the resource of the good person

Those who do not value their teachers

And do not love their resources

Although intelligent, they are greatly confused

This is called the essential wonder

Chapter 28

Know the masculine, hold to the feminine

Be the watercourse of the world

Being the watercourse of the world

The eternal virtue does not depart

Return to the state of the infant

Know the white, hold to the black

Be the standard of the world

Being the standard of the world

The eternal virtue does not deviate

Return to the state of the boundless

Know the honor, hold to the humility

Be the valley of the world

Being the valley of the world

The eternal virtue shall be sufficient

Return to the state of plain wood

Plain wood splits, then becomes tools

The sages utilize them

And then become leaders

Thus the greater whole is undivided

Chapter 29

Those who wish to take the world and control it

I see that they cannot succeed

The world is a sacred instrument

One cannot control it

The one who controls it will fail

The one who grasps it will lose

Because all things:

Either lead or follow

Either blow hot or cold

Either have strength or weakness

Either have ownership or take by force

Therefore the sage:

Eliminates extremes

Eliminates excess

Eliminates arrogance

Chapter 30

The one who uses the Tao to advise the ruler

Does not dominate the world with soldiers

Such methods tend to be returned

The place where the troops camp

Thistles and thorns grow

Following the great army

There must be an inauspicious year

A good commander achieves result, then stops

And does not dare to reach for domination

Achieves result but does not brag

Achieves result but does not flaunt

Achieves result but is not arrogant

Achieves result but only out of necessity

Achieves result but does not dominate

Things become strong and then get old

This is called contrary to the Tao

That which is contrary to the Tao soon ends

Chapter 31

A strong military, a tool of misfortune

All things detest it

Therefore, those who possess the Tao avoid it

Honorable gentlemen, while at home, value the left

When deploying the military, value the right

The military is a tool of misfortune

Not the tool of honorable gentlemen

When using it out of necessity

Calm detachment should be above all

Victorious but without glory

Those who glorify

Are delighting in the killing

Those who delight in killing

Cannot achieve their ambitions upon the world

Auspicious events favor the left

Inauspicious events favor the right

The lieutenant general is positioned to the left

The major general is positioned to the right

We say that they are treated as if in a funeral

Those who have been killed

Should be mourned with sadness

Victory in war should be treated as a funeral

Chapter 32

The Tao, eternally nameless

Its simplicity, although imperceptible

Cannot be treated by the world as subservient

If the sovereign can hold on to it

All will follow by themselves

Heaven and Earth, together in harmony

Will rain sweet dew

People will not need to force it; it will adjust by itself

In the beginning, there were names

Names came to exist everywhere

One should know when to stop

Knowing when to stop, thus avoiding danger

The existence of the Tao in the world

Is like streams in the valley into rivers and the ocean

Chapter 33

Those who understand others are intelligent

Those who understand themselves are enlightened

Those who overcome others have strength

Those who overcome themselves are powerful

Those who know contentment are wealthy

Those who proceed vigorously have willpower

Those who do not lose their base endure

Those who die but do not perish have longevity

Tao Te Ching

by Lao-tzu

[email protected]

[email protected]

Tao Te Ching

Chapter 34

The great Tao is like a flood

It can flow to the left or to the right

The myriad things depend on it for life, but it never stops

It achieves its work, but does not take credit

It clothes and feeds myriad things, but does not rule over them

Ever desiring nothing

It can be named insignificant

Myriad things return to it but it does not rule over them

It can be named great

Even in the end, it does not regard itself as great

That is how it can achieve its greatness

Chapter 35

Hold the great image

All under heaven will come

They come without harm, in harmonious peace

Music and food, passing travelers stop

The Tao that is spoken out of the mouth

Is bland and without flavor

Look at it, it cannot be seen

Listen to it, it cannot be heard

Use it, it cannot be exhausted

Chapter 36

If one wishes to shrink it

One must first expand it

If one wishes to weaken it

One must first strengthen it

If one wishes to discard it

One must first promote it

If one wishes to seize it

One must first give it

This is called subtle clarity

The soft and weak overcomes the tough and strong

Fish cannot leave the depths

The sharp instruments of the state

Cannot be shown to the people

Chapter 37

The Tao is constant in non-action

Yet there is nothing it does not do

If the sovereign can hold on to this

All things shall transform themselves

Transformed, yet wishing to achieve

I shall restrain them with the simplicity of the nameless

The simplicity of the nameless

They shall be without desire

Without desire, using stillness

The world shall steady itself

Te Ching

Virtue Classic - Chapters 38 to 81

Chapter 38

High virtue is not virtuous

Therefore it has virtue

Low virtue never loses virtue

Therefore it has no virtue

High virtue takes no contrived action

And acts without agenda

Low virtue takes contrived action

And acts with agenda

High benevolence takes contrived action

And acts without agenda

High righteousness takes contrived action

And acts with agenda

High etiquette takes contrived action

And upon encountering no response

Uses arms to pull others

Therefore, the Tao is lost, and then virtue

Virtue is lost, and then benevolence

Benevolence is lost, and then righteousness

Righteousness is lost, and then etiquette

Those who have etiquette

are a thin shell of loyalty and sincerity

And the beginning of chaos

Those with foreknowledge

Are the flowers of the Tao

And the beginning of ignorance

Therefore the great person:

Abides in substance, and does not dwell on the thin shell

Abides in the real, and does not dwell on the flower

Thus they discard that and take this

Chapter 39

Those that attained oneness since ancient times:

The sky attained oneness and thus clarity

The earth attained oneness and thus tranquility

The gods attained oneness and thus divinity

The valley attained oneness and thus abundance

The myriad things attained oneness and thus life

The rulers attained oneness and became the standard for the world

These all emerged from oneness

The sky, lacking clarity, would break apart

The earth, lacking tranquility, would erupt

The gods, lacking divinity, would vanish

The valley, lacking abundance, would wither

Myriad things, lacking life, would be extinct

The rulers, lacking standard, would be toppled

Therefore, the honored uses the lowly as basis

The higher uses the lower as foundation

Thus the rulers call themselves alone, bereft, and unworthy

Is this not using the lowly as basis? Is it not so?

Therefore, the ultimate honor is no honor

Do not wish to be shiny like jade

Be dull like rocks

Chapter 40

The returning is the movement of the Tao

The weak is the utilization of the Tao

The myriad things of the world are born of being

Being is born of non-being

Chapter 41

Higher people hear of the Tao

They diligently practice it

Average people hear of the Tao

They sometimes keep it and sometimes lose it

Lower people hear of the Tao

They laugh loudly at it

If they do not laugh, it would not be the Tao

Therefore a proverb has the following:

The clear Tao appears unclear

The advancing Tao appears to retreat

The smooth Tao appears uneven

High virtue appears like a valley

Great integrity appears like disgrace

Encompassing virtue appears insufficient

Building virtue appears inactive

True substance appears inconstant

The great square has no corners

The great vessel is late in completion

The great music is imperceptible in sound

The great image has no form

The Tao is hidden and nameless

Yet it is only the Tao

That excels in giving and completing everything

Chapter 42

Tao produces one

One produces two

Two produce three

Three produce myriad things

Myriad things, backed by yin and embracing yang

Achieve harmony by integrating their energy

What the people dislike

Are alone, bereft, and unworthy

But the rulers call themselves with these terms

So with all things

Appear to take loss but benefit

Or receive benefit but lose

What the ancients taught

I will also teach

The violent one cannot have a natural death

I will use this as the principal of all teachings

Chapter 43

The softest things of the world

Override the hardest things of the world

That which has no substance

Enters into that which has no openings

From this I know the benefits of unattached actions

The teaching without words

The benefits of actions without attachment

Are rarely matched in the world

Chapter 44

Fame or the self, which is dearer?

The self or wealth, which is greater?

Gain or loss, which is more painful?

Thus excessive love must lead to great spending

Excessive hoarding must lead to heavy loss

Knowing contentment avoids disgrace

Knowing when to stop avoids danger

Thus one can endure indefinitely

Chapter 45

Great perfection seems flawed

Its function is without failure

Great fullness seems empty

Its function is without exhaustion

Great straightness seems bent

Great skill seems unrefined

Great eloquence seems inarticulate

Movement overcomes cold

Stillness overcomes heat

Clear quietness is the standard of the world

Tao Te Ching

by Lao-tzu

[email protected]

[email protected]

Tao Te Ching

Chapter 46

When the world has the Tao

Fast horses are retired to till the soil

When the world lacks the Tao

Warhorses give birth on the battlefield

There is no crime greater than greed

No disaster greater than discontentment

No fault greater than avarice

Thus the satisfaction of contentment

is the lasting satisfaction

Chapter 47

Without going out the door, know the world

Without peering out the window, see the Heavenly Tao

The further one goes

The less one knows

Therefore the sage

Knows without going

Names without seeing

Achieves without striving

Chapter 48

Pursue knowledge, daily gain

Pursue Tao, daily loss

Loss and more loss

Until one reaches unattached action

With unattached action, there is nothing one cannot do

Take the world by constantly applying non-interference

The one who interferes is not qualified to take the world

Chapter 49

The sages have no constant mind

They take the mind of the people as their mind

Those who are good, I am good to them

Those who are not good, I am also good to them

Thus the virtue of goodness

Those who believe, I believe them

Those who do not believe, I also believe them

Thus the virtue of belief

The sages live in the world

They cautiously merge their mind for the world

The people all pay attention with their ears and eyes

The sages care for them as children

Chapter 50

Coming into life, entering death

The followers of life, three in ten

The followers of death, three in ten

Those whose lives are moved toward death

Also three in ten

Why? Because they live lives of excess

I've heard of those who are good at cultivating life

Traveling on the road, they do not encounter rhinos or tigers

Entering into an army, they are not harmed by weapons

Rhinos have nowhere to thrust their horns

Tigers have nowhere to clasp their claws

Soldiers have nowhere to lodge their blades

Why? Because they have no place for death

Chapter 51

Tao produces them

Virtue raises them

Things shape them

Forces perfect them

Therefore all things respect the Tao and value virtue

The respect for Tao, the value of virtue

Not due to command but to constant nature

Thus Tao produces them

Virtue raises them

Grows them, educates them

Perfects them, matures them

Nurtures them, protects them

Produces but does not possess

Acts but does not flaunt

Nurtures but does not dominate

This is called Mystic Virtue

Chapter 52

The world has a beginning

We regard it as the mother of the world

Having its mother

We can know her children

Knowing her children

Still holding on to the mother

Live without danger all through life

Close the mouth

Shut the doors

Live without toil all through life

Open the mouth

Meddle in the affairs

Live without salvation all through life

Seeing details is called clarity

Holding on to the soft is called strength

Utilize the light

Return to the clarity

Leaving no disasters for the self

This is called practicing constancy

Chapter 53

If I have a little knowledge

Walking on the great Tao

I fear only to deviate from it

The great Tao is broad and plain

But people like the side paths

The courts are corrupt

The fields are barren

The warehouses are empty

Officials wear fineries

Carry sharp swords

Fill up on drinks and food

Acquire excessive wealth

This is called robbery

It is not the Tao!

Chapter 54

That which is well established cannot be uprooted

That which is strongly held cannot be taken

The descendants will commemorate it forever

Cultivate it in yourself; its virtue shall be true

Cultivate it in the family; its virtue shall be abundant

Cultivate it in the community; its virtue shall be lasting

Cultivate it in the country; its virtue shall be prosperous

Cultivate it in the world; its virtue shall be widespread

Therefore observe others with yourself

Observe other families with your family

Observe other communities with your community

Observe other countries with your country

Observe the world with the world

With what do I know the world?

With this

Chapter 55

Those who hold an abundance of virtue

Are similar to newborn infants

Poisonous insects do not sting them

Wild beasts do not claw them

Birds of prey do not attack them

Their bones are weak, tendons are soft

But their grasp is firm

They do not know of sexual union but can manifest arousal

Due to the optimum of essence

They can cry the whole day and yet not be hoarse

Due to the optimum of harmony

Knowing harmony is said to be constancy

Knowing constancy is said to be clarity

Excessive vitality is said to be inauspicious

Mind overusing energy is said to be aggressive

Things become strong and then grow old

This is called contrary to the Tao

That which is contrary to the Tao will soon perish

Chapter 56

Those who know do not talk

Those who talk do not know

Close the mouth

Shut the doors

Blunt the sharpness

Unravel the knots

Dim the glare

Mix the dust

This is called Mystic Oneness

They cannot obtain this and be closer

They cannot obtain this and be distant

They cannot obtain this and be benefited

They cannot obtain this and be harmed

They cannot obtain this and be valued

They cannot obtain this and be degraded

Therefore, they become honored by the world

Chapter 57

Govern a country with upright integrity

Deploy the military with surprise tactics

Take the world with non-interference

How do I know this is so?

With the following:

When there are many restrictions in the world

The people become more impoverished

When people have many sharp weapons

The country becomes more chaotic

When people have many clever tricks

More strange things occur

The more laws are posted

The more robbers and thieves there are

Therefore the sage says:

I take unattached action, and the people transform themselves

I prefer quiet, and the people right themselves

I do not interfere, and the people enrich themselves

I have no desires, and the people simplify themselves

Chapter 58

When governing is lackluster

The people are simple and honest

When governing is scrutinizing

The people are shrewd and crafty

Misfortune is what fortune depends upon

Fortune is where misfortune hides beneath

Who knows their ultimate end?

They have no determined outcome

Rightness reverts to become strange

Goodness reverts to become wicked

The confusion of people

has lasted many long days

Therefore the sages are:

Righteous without being scathing

Incorruptible without being piercing

Straightforward without being ruthless

Illuminated without being flashy

Chapter 59

In governing people and serving Heaven

There is nothing like conservation

Only with conservation is it called submitting early

Submitting early is called emphasis on accumulating virtues

Accumulating virtues means there is nothing one cannot overcome

When there is nothing that one cannot overcome

One's limits are unknown

The limitations being unknown, one can possess sovereignty

With this mother principle of power, one can be everlasting

This is called deep roots and firm foundation

The Tao of longevity and lasting vision

Chapter 60

Ruling a large country is like cooking a small fish

Using the Tao to manage the world

Its demons have no power

Not only do its demons have no power

Its gods do not harm people

Not only do its gods not harm people

The sages also do not harm people

They both do no harm to one another

So virtue merges and returns

Tao Te Ching

by Lao-tzu

[email protected]

[email protected]

Tao Te Ching

Chapter 61

The large country is like the lowest river

The converging point of the world

The receptive female of the world

The female always overcomes the male with serenity

Using serenity as the lower position

Thus if the large country is lower than the small country

Then it can take the small country

If the small country is lower than the large country

Then it can be taken by the large country

Thus one uses the lower position to take

The other uses the lower position to be taken

The large country only wishes to gather and protect people

The small country only wishes to join and serve people

So that both obtain what they wish

The larger one should assume the lower position

Chapter 62

The Tao is the wonder of all things

The treasure of the kind person

The protection of the unkind person

Admirable words can win the public's respect

Admirable actions can improve people

Those who are unkind

How can they be abandoned?

Therefore, when crowning the Emperor

And installing the three ministers

Although there is the offering of jade before four horses

None of it can compare to being seated in this Tao

Why did the ancients value this Tao so much?

Is it not said that those who seek will find,

And those with guilt will not be faulted?

Therefore, it is the greatest value in the world

Chapter 63

Act without action

Manage without meddling

Taste without tasting

Great, small, many, few

Respond to hatred with virtue

Plan difficult tasks through the simplest tasks

Achieve large tasks through the smallest tasks

The difficult tasks of the world

Must be handled through the simple tasks

The large tasks of the world

Must be handled through the small tasks

Therefore, sages never attempt great deeds all through life

Thus they can achieve greatness

One who makes promises lightly must deserve little trust

One who sees many easy tasks must encounter much difficulty

Therefore, sages regard things as difficult

So they never encounter difficulties all through life

Chapter 64

When it is peaceful, it is easy to maintain

When it shows no signs, it is easy to plan

When it is fragile, it is easy to break

When it is small, it is easy to scatter

Act on it when it has not yet begun

Treat it when it is not yet chaotic

A tree thick enough to embrace

Grows from the tiny sapling

A tower of nine levels

Starts from the dirt heap

A journey of a thousand miles

Begins beneath the feet

The one who meddles will fail

The one who grasps will lose

Therefore, sages do not meddle and thus do not fail

They do not grasp and thus do not lose

People, in handling affairs

Often come close to completion and fail

If they are as careful in the end as the beginning

Then they would have no failure

Therefore, sages desire not to desire

They do not value goods that are hard to acquire

They learn to unlearn

To redeem the fault of the people

To assist the nature of all things

Without daring to meddle

Chapter 65

Those of ancient times who were adept at the Tao

Used it not to make people brighter

But to keep them simple

The difficulty in governing people

Is due their excessive cleverness

Therefore, using cleverness to govern the state

Is being a thief of the state

Not using cleverness to govern the state

Is being a blessing of the state

Know that these two are both standards

Always knowing these standards

Is called Mystic Virtue

Mystic Virtue: Profound! Far-reaching!

It goes opposite to material things

Then it reaches great congruence

Chapter 66

Rivers and oceans can be the kings of a hundred valleys

Because of their goodness in staying low

So they can be the kings of a hundred valleys

Thus if sages wish to be over people

They must speak humbly to them

If they wish to be in front of people

They must place themselves behind them

Thus the sages are positioned above

But the people do not feel burdened

They are positioned in front

But the people do not feel harmed

Thus the world is glad to push them forward without resentment

Because they do not contend

So the world cannot contend with them

Chapter 67

Everyone in the world calls my Tao great

As if it is beyond compare

It is only because of its greatness

That it seems beyond compare

If it can be compared

It would already be insignificant long ago!

I have three treasures

I hold on to them and protect them

The first is called compassion

The second is called conservation

The third is called not daring to be ahead in the world

Compassionate, thus able to have courage

Conserving, thus able to reach widely

Not daring to be ahead in the world

Thus able to assume leadership

Now if one has courage but discards compassion

Reaches widely but discards conservation

Goes ahead but discards being behind

Then death!

If one fights with compassion, then victory

With defense, then security

Heaven shall save them

And with compassion guard them

Chapter 68

The great generals are not warlike

The great warriors do not get angry

Those who are good at defeating enemies do not engage them

Those who are good at managing people lower themselves

It is called the virtue of non-contention

It is called the power of managing people

It is called being harmonious with Heaven

The ultimate principle of the ancients

Chapter 69

In using the military, there is a saying:

I dare not be the host, but prefer to be the guest

I dare not advance an inch, but prefer to withdraw a foot

This is called marching in formation without formation

Raising arms without arms

Grappling enemies without enemies

Holding weapons without weapons

There is no greater disaster than to underestimate the enemy

Underestimating the enemy almost made me lose my treasures

So when evenly matched armies meet

The side that is compassionate shall win

Chapter 70

My words are easy to understand, easy to practice

The world cannot understand, cannot practice

My words have basis

My actions have principle

People do not understand this

Therefore they do not understand me

Those who understand me are few

Thus I am highly valued

Therefore the sage wears plain clothes but holds jade

Chapter 71

To know that you do not know is highest

To not know but think you know is flawed

Only when one recognizes the fault as a fault

can one be without fault

The sages are without fault

Because they recognize the fault as a fault

That is why they are without fault

Tao Te Ching

by Lao-tzu

[email protected]

[email protected]

Tao Te Ching

Chapter 72

When people no longer fear force

They bring about greater force

Do not limit their place

Do not reject their livelihood

Because the ruler does not reject them

Therefore they do not reject the ruler

Therefore the sages:

Know themselves but do not glorify themselves

Respect themselves but do not praise themselves

Thus they discard that and take this

Chapter 73

The bold in daring will be killed

The bold in not daring will survive

Of these two, one may benefit, the other may harm

The one hated by Heaven – who knows the reason?

Even the sages still find this difficult

The Tao of Heaven:

Does not contend and yet excels in winning

Does not speak and yet excels in responding

Is not summoned and yet comes on its own

Is unhurried and yet excels in planning

The heavenly net is vast

Loose, and yet does not let anything slip through

Chapter 74

People do not fear death

How can they be threatened with death?

If people are made to constantly fear death

Then those who act unlawfully

I can capture and kill them

Who would dare?

There exists a master executioner that kills

If we substitute for the master executioner to kill

It is like substituting for the great carpenter to cut

Those who substitute for the great carpenter to cut

It is rare that they do not hurt their own hands

Chapter 75

The people's hunger

Is due to the excess of their ruler's taxation

So they starve

The people's difficulty in being governed

Is due to the meddling of their ruler

So they are difficult to govern

The people's disregard for death

Is due to the glut in their ruler's pursuit of life

So they disregard death

Therefore those who do not strive for living

Are better than those who value living

Chapter 76

While alive, the body is soft and pliant

When dead, it is hard and rigid

All living things, grass and trees,

While alive, are soft and supple

When dead, become dry and brittle

Thus that which is hard and stiff

is the follower of death

That which is soft and yielding

is the follower of life

Therefore, an inflexible army will not win

A strong tree will be cut down

The big and forceful occupy a lowly position

While the soft and pliant occupy a higher place

Chapter 77

The Tao of Heaven

Is like drawing a bow

Lower that which is high

Raise that which is low

Reduce that which has excess

Add to that which is lacking

The Tao of heaven

Reduces the excessive

And adds to the lacking

The Tao of people is not so

It reduces the lacking

In order to offer to the excessive

Who can offer their excess to the world?

Only those who have the Tao

Therefore sages act without conceit

Achieve without claiming credit

They do not wish to display their virtue!

Chapter 78

Nothing in the world is softer or weaker than water

Yet nothing is better at overcoming the hard and strong

This is because nothing can replace it

That the weak overcomes the strong

And the soft overcomes the hard

Everybody in the world knows

But cannot put into practice

Therefore sages say:

The one who accepts the humiliation of the state

Is called its master

The one who accepts the misfortune of the state