The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DreamingNagual

Tassie Giants & Dog Crap!

Heya ppl, Yesterday a mate and I decided to take his dog for a walk to my local park- reserve.

This is where I do most of my fungi hunting.

We arrived at one of the spots where I have spread inoculated chainsaw sawdust and woodchips from the other side of the track where subs are always garuanteed.

Then I spotted in one of the sawdust piles these Beauties...They are the thickest subs from these patches I have ever seen! Enjoy!

post-16-1215594760_thumb.jpg

post-16-1215594934_thumb.jpg

As I have mentioned In a previous thread one of my favorite patches was cleared of ground cover & poisoned with Glyphosate by the local council dicks :slap:

This Patch stopped fruiting for a couple years and even looked like it was still dead this year...But...

I was about to just stroll right past the patch as I had checked it every visit this year with no luck, But My mate stopped to let his dog have a shit.

Then I hear him shouting "Hey XXXXX I think I found one of those magic mushies"

"Bullshit" Says I :rolleyes:

Well on closer inspection there was more than One!! :lol:

I am Glad to announce one of the first shroom patches I ever found, Has started fruiting once again and here are her lovely fruits! :worship:

post-16-1215596234_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of the said patch taken in 2005

post-16-1215596414_thumb.jpg

And a shot of the total haul,

post-16-1215596517_thumb.jpg

I am sooooooo stoked, And its thanks to My mates dog & her loose bowels :P:wink:

Edited by DreamingNagual

Great news on your patch returning to you! Those shrooms are stunning!

Thanks for sharing... well... the pictures at least ;)

thanks for sharing pics :)

where abouts are you? which suburb/area?

Far out!! Those are some F**KING thick stems!! Amazing, amazing looking specimens. :o

Edited by Hyphalknot

Hey Hyphal, They also had their veils intact on picking which was a surprise for their size!

I have left enough there too grow and I will get some pics of them in their natural enviroment!

These are a definate candidate for making some prints, I would like to pass some on to people that are more knowledged than I in the feild of growing from prints!

This could be a ripper of a strain to share around! :shroomer:

Edited by DreamingNagual

*yank quickly, but shyly raises hand and mumbles something about a trade*....will PM later.....

Very, very nice work!!!

Cloning into Liquid culture. It is just monkey science from there.

Edited by naja naja

I keep finding myself back at this thread to stare at those giant fat subs!

They really are very pretty :drool2:

Nice find dreaming, tassie really has some funky subs :wub: . Don't understand why council would hinder thier magnificent growth :slap: , only I guess to stop us from connecting/collecting, (it's not like they make a mess of the manicured landscaping, a welcome display I say and unfortunately only for a couple of weeks a year). Was thinking its getting late, better late than never. I'm in the NE and had a great year over here too. Here are a few shots of the spot I found this year. Nice, strong tassie wilds....Mmmmm

Which (to my delight :P ), dried out to this :drool2:

And what is this? It looks like it's upside down with the cap burrowing into the ground? :huh:

Hey naja, for the novice monkey, what is this liquid culture you speak of? Spores in a syringe? Where is the tek? Prints no worries, but not sure what to do with them.

Cheers, long live the fungus.

Howdy Alk, Great work there, Looks like you found yourself a nice little spot up there on the NE, I reckon the season will last another 3 or so weeks up this way!

This cold snap we are having certainly looks like it is helping things along, We even had light snowfall right down to suburb near my area yesterday, which is rare cos I am right right on the coast near Burnie way, But the Rains didnt keep it there for long!

I am thinking about going for a look around today, Thats If I can brave venturing out into this freezing weather ;)

Good Luck with The rest of the month, I hope to have some more pics up soon!

Ps, Surely we have some more Taswiegions On the site with stuff to share?

Just like the slogan says, "Come on, Get out there Tasmania!"

Edited by DreamingNagual

Alkron: Just take 95% water, 5% honey/malt/homebrew, sterelise the hell out of it, inject your spores into it via a spore syringe, and the mycelium germinates from the spores and forms a thick, stringy culture. Mycelium growing in liquid, a lot more success if you spread that around over plain spore water, but also contams easy and has a shorter shelf-life.

Im sure there are many teks available via google search, most def. at the shroomery.

P.S. I don't know what that last one is, the base looks a bit like an earthstar? looks cool though

Ps, Surely we have some more Taswiegions On the site with stuff to share?

there are a few more of us here, just lazy with the camera is all, and i havnt been out picking this year, but your pics up the top there have almost convinced me to go have a look, i recognised the area you are picking straight away from the pics and that has been a favourite picking ground for quite a few years now (and so close to town lol), just havnt had the time to go and have a look yet this season.

any how all the best and keep on showing them what our locals look like.

Interesting Tassiedj, You can recognise that place from just the one pic?

There are two local reserves around this area well known for shrooms, But I hardley ever see anyone else in this particular place for the same reason as myself!!

Can you Give me an initial as to the place you may think this is?

Hit the nail right on the head!

Was it the parkbench shadow that gave it away, or just a lucky guess?

Edit, Too Much info, Not needed!

Who knows you may even spot me somewhere head down arse up with bags of sawdust and weilding a giant syringe.

The Beanie Brothers are on the prowl :devil:

Edited by DreamingNagual

Tassie I am sure you would know the other local spot as well?

Plenty of Ferns!! Nice air freshner too.....

Are you a local yourself by any chance?

^thats freaky that you recognise it from that picture. but id probly recogise baly from a picture too though.

lol, as kids we used to own that area, run in packs, terrorise the locals all that sort of stuff. but it was actually the tree and the log that gave it away for me, not to many trees like that around this area.

any how keep up the good work and keep repopulating the area, back when i first started picking you could go up there and come home with hundreds, last couple of seasons i dont think there have been as many around up there, not sure if it has been to do with the seasons, the council, poor picking technique, people walking around and over them or just me looking on the wrong days, any how if i see any one up there with bags of sawdust i will be sure to stop and say hello.

Clone by snapping the stem in a sterile environment like a glovebox( not 100% nessisary, but nice) stab inner core of the shroom u wish to clone with a sterile syringe and take a core sample as such and just squirt that core into the liquid culture (96% H2O, 2% light malt, 2% dextrose PC at 15 P.S.I. for 15min) just use a small glass jar for the LC and don't worry about any special lid arangments, just plug a hole with polyfil. See shroomery for more info

Please take sporeprints though so these can be looked at under a microscope. There may be a chance of it being a new species.

Edited by naja naja

Alkron: Just take 95% water, 5% honey/malt/homebrew, sterelise the hell out of it, inject your spores into it via a spore syringe, and the mycelium germinates from the spores and forms a thick, stringy culture. Mycelium growing in liquid, a lot more success if you spread that around over plain spore water, but also contams easy and has a shorter shelf-life.

Im sure there are many teks available via google search, most def. at the shroomery.

P.S. I don't know what that last one is, the base looks a bit like an earthstar? looks cool though

If one used spores, would it be a clone? I think not. Think Asexual reproduction.

IME they seem to resist contam well if sterile to begin with and last longer than a spore syringe, but not longer than a spore print.

Quote "lol, as kids we used to own that area, run in packs, terrorise the locals all that sort of stuff."

Too Much Info, Taken To PM.

Edited by DreamingNagual

If one used spores, would it be a clone? I think not. Think Asexual reproduction.

He asked what a liquid culture was - that's a liquid culture. It doesn't matter whether you use tissue or spores, it's still a liquid culture.

P.S. Alkron: that last picture of the strange white mushroom is proibably a baby Amanita pin, ie: Amanita cokeri or similar.

Edited by Undergrounder

Those are incredible specimens, good work! :drool2:

This is my first post on this forum, so I'll briefly introduce myself.

I'm also from NW Tas. I've been educating myself at the Shroomery about what to find and where - and what to do with the wares! I started taking an interest in all this last year, but at the wrong end of the season, around late September. So I had to wait until this season to try again, but I didn't start looking until late June - so while hunting has been reasonably successful, next year I guess I should start looking around late April.

So far my hunting has been in the Dev area, and I've found the whole experience quite enjoyable - both the hunting and the results. Ideally I'd like to accumulate enough stock to last though the off-season .. but I don't think it will happen this year as the patches already seem to be dwindling.

Yesterday I was in the Burnie area and took the opportunity for a quick look around, first stop was the 'air freshener' with no luck, I then had a look at 'BP' (hint .. waterfall) and found 2 little subs, sorry there's no pics, I took my camera but the batteries were flat. I might go back for another look sometime this week ... I'd like to find the 'R' park!

Anyway .. it's good to meet you all, I'm glad to be part of this community and to share any info with you that I might find.

Cheers!!