The Corroboree
Stinkmeat

Heavy Metal

Gah, no Maiden fans? Saw them in Bris-vegas -- excellent. Someone mentioned Rhapsody, good call, they are champs. I really like what power metal I've heard, but I mostly love the old stuff: Omen, Manowar, Priest, Motorhead, Sabbath, etc.

I got an Electric Wizard cd off a friend a few weeks ago. Awesome stuff, listening to it feels like having your scalp massaged by a leper while submerged in a swamp.

Again, thanx for all the input. Like Mu said, its good to see metal plantheads about. :)

Thunder - I checked out Kataklysm. Nice groove and guitar tone. And I have only heard a few Children of Bodom songs, so might check some more out. A Tesla song that I checked out was prettt alright too. I really like Decapitated's latest album - Organic Hallucinosis. It has an awesome goove as well as making your brain think pretty hard with all the technicality. Some cool lyrics for a deathmetal band too.

Calea - For some reason I have never been able to get into power metal. Each to their own though. I really liked your description of Electric Wizard :P

JOP - Rage Against the Machine have always been a favourite of mine. Tom Morello is one of the best guitarists of all time in my opinion. I also had the pleasure of seeing them when they were here last.

One other band that I forgot about till now is Deftones - One of my all time favourite bands too. For anyone not familiar they are sorta new metal, sorta experimental, sorta popular, sorta trippy. All adds up to an awesome band.

Stink

Another aussie band called Took is worth checking out and soilworks from sweden have some juice. I like my techno, but its like watching Tv compared with running a guitar through my dimed Elmwood modena stack!

...so many bands go without mentioning

Soilwork also kick some serious metal ass

oh and NEW Testament album

The Formation of Damnation is the ninth studio album by Testament, which was released on April 29, 2008. It is the first album Testament has released since 1999's The Gathering, although the band re-recorded some of their early material for 2001's First Strike Still Deadly. It is also Testament's first release with original guitarist Alex Skolnick since 1992's The Ritual and bassist Greg Christian since 1994's Low.

and it RAWWWKS

Holy shit, more good metal news!

:wub: this thread

No one has mentioned Rob Zombie, or what about Static x, for the more modern stuff

Check out a cool local band called genedefect, There just young blokes i think the drummer is only 15!!

decapitated were young as too, when they started. don't like rob zombie, all the songs are the same.

mmmm testament. thanks for the heads up. should i mention wasp? yeah. wasp brought out a new album not long ago, it's actually pretty good! i like wasp. the lyrics make me cringe though.

Hmm, Testament aye? Yet another band that I have heard good things about but never really listened to. I shall Check them out.:)

Hillbilly - I used to really get into Rob Zombie and Static-X, but for me they seemed to just be a fad. I still enjoy them for a party or something like that, but they don't amaze me.

Thunder - Not sure if you or anyone else knew, but Decapitated were in an accident while on tour (earlier this year I think). The Drummer was killed when their tour bus crashed. The singer was also put into intensive care. Pretty unfortunate, as I only discovered them through hearing about this incident. They seemed to be heading towards good things, but I assume the band won't continue now. :(

Conan - I have given Blotted Science a few good listens and am really impressed. Thanx for the heads up.

Botanika - I know what you mean about the feeling that comes from the sound of a nice guitar and amp. I also get into a fair share of electronic and chilled music, but nothing compares to a crushing distorted guitar tone. :devil:

Stink

:(

on a positive note, testament is touring here late in the year, with alex skolnick which was already mentioned i think.

At the moment I can't get enough Slipknot - does anyone know any similar sounding bands? Cheers

I also get a bit obsessive about that Mike Patton releases, though not really metal.

Edited by toast

When it comes to metal there's plenty of great Aussie bands to choose from!

(Destroyer666, Alchemist, Blood Duster, Beanflipper, The Mark of Cain, Gospel of the Horns, Franeknbok, Dreadnaught, Alarum, Nazxul, the list goes on and on)

Internationals worth a mention:

Impaled Nazarene, Nevermore, Devin Townsend, As I Lay Dying

There's been a constant stream of old 'has been' internationals touring Oz these last couple of years - Tesla, Exodus, Testament, Alice Cooper, Saxon, Winger, Sodom, Megadeth, etc. Anyone been to any of these shows?

I saw Biohazard supporting Korn a few weeks ago which was alright (scored free tickets - wouldn't have paid the $90 for it!). Vodafone arena was mostly empty! And Korn had bodyguards onstage with em for the whole set! :P

ayjay101, i went and saw Kreator at the hi-fi bar in melb in 06. Fuckin thrashy as :lol:

Slayer last year at vodafone, they kicked plenty of ass. Bit disappointing to see 2/3 of the moshpit empty and a whole lot of poor chumps stuck in the 'seated area' (myself included). Why the event organisers choose to do this stumps me, safety issues? pfffft, tryin to ruin a good time more like it.

Iron Maiden also toured last year and that was a quality show also. Bruce Dickinson is one energetic old bastard!

ayjay101, i went and saw Kreator at the hi-fi bar in melb in 06. Fuckin thrashy as :lol:

Slayer last year at vodafone, they kicked plenty of ass. Bit disappointing to see 2/3 of the moshpit empty and a whole lot of poor chumps stuck in the 'seated area' (myself included). Why the event organisers choose to do this stumps me, safety issues? pfffft, tryin to ruin a good time more like it.

Iron Maiden also toured last year and that was a quality show also. Bruce Dickinson is one energetic old bastard!

Yeah so many people praise that Kreator gig! I missed out on that one, was in Sth America at the time - where I got to see Fear Factory do their first ever show in Ecuador. They put on an excellent show. The last track was a vocal solo by Burton C Bell without the band onstage. T'was brilliant.

I was in the seats for that Biohazard/Korn gig. I tried to talk my way onto the floor but the security monkeys wouldn't have any of it. Even though it was half fuckin empty. A couple of dudes jumped down but were pummelled by the cunts and then dragged outside.

Dude - I am a big fan of NIN too, especially albums like The Downward Spiral. That's one of my favourite albums ever. They are another group that I have had the pleasure of seeing live. Really good show.

Toast - I used to get into slipknot a lot too. Im not sure of too many other bands that sound similar. The only one that vaguely sounds similar is Mudvayne, yet they sing about more in depth topics and have a bit more of a moody feel to them.

Ayjay - I'm really surprise Korn are even alive anymore. After Head (the guitarist) left the band because he had found god, I didn't think they would continue. Then the drummer left and things have gone from bad to worse. :( I havent really checked out many Aus metal bands so I will go through the list that you mentioned.

A few people have mentioned power metal. I have never been able to get into it. I can enjoy it for it's comedic value, but never really "appreciate" it. I was wondering if the people that have mentioned power metal enjoy it for its musicianship or the comedic value, or both?

Stink

i don't really think of it in comedic terms, although it is funny. i really need to be picky, and only play songs that i like. songs that don't embarrass me. so yeah i don't listen to power metal :P heh nah there's some good stuff

I havent really checked out many Aus metal bands so I will go through the list that you mentioned.

Cool, one band that I forgot to mention that are *really* good at what they do is Virgin Black. They are a symphonic-operatic-doomy-gothy-metal kind of band from Adelaide, who've had major international successes but are barely known here in Oz. Be sure to check out their first 2 releases - Sombre Romantic and Elegant...And Dying. It's really different metal- not everyone will like it, but those that do, LOVE it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAKfJ-w5H0o...feature=related

Also check out Fuck...I'm dead if you like hilarious, fast grindcore :lol:

/mm\

power metal is FAST.

yeah, these songs are RAW.. and there are FAST PARTS... so that AUTOMATICALLYMEANSTHATTHEY'REGOOD

double bass-ah!! complex just like justice. complex just like justice.

bob says that we are a jam band-ah, and we should write all this stuff here on the spot-ah

so i'm making all of this up, as i goooo along, to capture these moments of genius. every part makes sense, and is theeeeeeeere for a reeeeeeeeeaaaaasson

well i was in re-hab, i'm an invisible outcast i wanna CRY CRY CRY

LIVINGS SO HARD FOR ME

NO DADDY NO

BOB, HELP

KILL.. KILL... kill?

---------------------------

i guess that deserves an explanation

Edited by ThunderIdeal

Hahaha, that was hilarious Thunder. The repetative snare in the first part was gold!

Stink

I fuckin love metal.. Even when i'm in a highly impressionable mental state :D Soo happy to be in melbourne the metal capital of australia.. Can't wait to see psycroptic june 14th..

Tool (to me) are the most psychedelic (and greatest) band of all time.. NIN is also up there..

In my stereo at the moment : Strapping young lad - chaos years, Cannibal corpse - kill (bloody good), Carcass - necrotism and descanting the insalubrious (sp) and NIN - Ghosts i-iv

I highly recomend any fan of reznor, ambient, metal, even trash trance go out and buy ghosts.. has my vote for album of the year (so far).

Theres just something about the sheer audacity of metal..

as a big fucking fan of meshuggah, i gotta say i loved every minute of those misheard lyrics Stinkmeat. cheers :lol:

Hey guys

I thought someone would have mentioned this album already: Slayer - Reign in blood.

Main reason i'm here is because of Minus and their album Jesus Christ Bobby. Anyone heard of them/a fan? Icelandic noise metal, and some of the heaviest, brutal, hardcore stuff i have ever heard. Second album is no way near as heavy but still worth a listen. Came out with their third album sometime last year and from what i've heard it's really disapointing.

Isis would have been awesome stinkmeat. From what i've seen on youtube :wub: their light shows are awesome. Can't wait to see them.

pretty sure this is my 100th post!!

cheers

as a big fucking fan of meshuggah, i gotta say i loved every minute of those misheard lyrics Stinkmeat. cheers :lol:

I gotta second that! Thanks Stinkmeat! I've passed it on..... :lol: Love the bit in the middle with the black gangsta dudes dancin to Meshuggah.

Cheers for the Metallica one too ThunderIdeal! GOLD!!!

LMAO