The Corroboree
Robert

What kind of music do you like best for...?

As a huge music fan with an extensive collection of music, I have edited many of my cds for different listening enviroments and ambiances. I find that slower, almost spiritual musical sounds will put you right onto that "path", if that's what you're seeking. I'm wondering what the general concensus is on that?

I would also like to know, what you all are listening to (musically)when going out on a psyconaught journey?

For those of you who aren't aware of the group- Tulku, its got some great music for this. On the cd- "A Universe To Come", there is even a MPEG video of a Ayahuasca Healing that was, I believe; done in the Amazonian rainforest. It's very nice, done to their music.

strangley enough i really enjoy listening to tool which most may find a little to full on for that kind of state and some fine jazz and i have a CD done by a guy from here a few years ago going by the name Pendulum excelent stuff, ummm but dont really listen to music when on journeys i like to talk, or just observe, sometimes i feel the music directs the experience too much

infinite_monkey:

...i have a CD done by a guy from here a few years ago going by the name Pendulum excelent stuff...

Didn't Pendulum do the "hug me till you drug me/ kiss me till I'm in a coma" song (Huxley tribute?)a few years ago?

Besides the obvious........Pink Floyd!!

(The video 'Pulse' on 'sony music' video in particular )

I like to listen to a CD Called 'Sacred Spirit'on 'Virgin' released in '94 which donated part (who knows how much??) to the "Native American Rights Fund".

Nice tribal rhythms and native vocals-even straight it induces visions

Or :D System Of A Down!!!!!

agree that music can be a driving force, in such a mind state.

in london in the late 80's speed & LSD were the most usual party drugs. MDMA was around, but was too expensive, & only a few liked the house/techno music that seemed to come w/it. virtually all parties at that time played hardcore thrash & the bonfire in the garden was usually the main gathering area- dancefloor? yeah right.

in 2 years that situation completely reversed, helped by the fall in MDMA price & thrash musicians taking to Dj-ing hardcore techno.

since then i have found most "bands" to sound flat & boring- there's only so much you can do w/a few guitars, drum kit, vocals & maybe keyboard; tied to a verse, chorus, verse, chorus song structure.

when in a state ov heightened awareness the clarity & dimensional range ov direct digital/silicon/crystal music, virtually sparkles compared to analogue instruments.

lyrics put me off these days too. when i was 13 i wanted to hear songs ov angst/rebellion, but now i'd rather listen to the music over the story ov lost love.

william orbit- strange cargo

Dj Cheb i Sabbah- maha maya

the irresistible force- it's tommorow already

orbital- the altogether

bill laswell- city of light.

"what you all are listening to (musically)when going out on a psyconaught journey?"

The music of the midnight forrest ( no, thats not a band :rolleyes: ).

quote:

Didn't Pendulum do the "hug me till you drug me/ kiss me till I'm in a coma" song (Huxley tribute?)a few years ago?

thats the one the songs name is coma and both the remix and the original are excelent which i think is strange cause most remix's suck

[ 22. May 2003, 16:22: Message edited by: infinite_monkey ]

what about the essence of music?

i feel like i'm just a shell walking around with no tune.

no feeling

looking about everyone seems to be moving to a beat, and i'm out of tune.

ANYONE else know how i mean?

Dr.Brax's free internet remedies.

you need to get back into the groove maan.

take a holiday & do nothing but smoke dope listening to the radio all day & all night popping pills & clubbing- ibitza would be the place to go.

guarentee that you'll be bopping along for atleast the next 6 months- then repeat the prescription.

I would say Tool is definitely an ideal choice. Even if not going on a "journey" but just falling asleep, it's great to have dreams to it. I always find it interesting how music affects dreams.

1,dio,

first solo album.

with richy blackmoor:

holy diver.

only few rats dive down the vortex of solid water...

just to retrive food for the fellow rats...

ride the tiger,

ride the rainbowserpent,

its allmost the same(snake-hexagons/tiger-spots).

2,gloria gaynor,

or so reach out ill be there...

oh, what an old boring fart i've become...

3, satchmo any black 50 song...

I keep finding things on the net that I haven't heard/seen in 20 years and longer.

here's my latest re-discoveries:

1. Eight Miles high by GOLDEN EARRING, 20 minute version...do I dare say almost better than the original by the "Byrds"(ok I know it's a Dylan song, or is it?)

2. "Flight" by Rare Bird, also almost 20 Minutes...very nice, resembles a little Pink Floyd"s "Atom Heart Mother"

3. German acid rock band "Can" for me the best german act of the 70s, certainly better than Kraftwerk or Tangerine Dream, here's some good one's:

Father cannot yell

Yoo Doo Right

Mushroom Head

Tago Mago

Paperhouse

Peking O

Bring me Coffee or tea

etc

Also good:

Robert Fripp King Crimson

More recent

Goa Gil

Infected Mushroom etc

For thinking I like The Doors

gomaos:

German acid rock band "Can" for me the best german act of the 70s, certainly better than Kraftwerk or Tangerine Dream,

Now you're talking! I think my fave krautrock was Amon Duul 11, eg, Dance of the Lemmings, Wolf City ... But Tangerine Dream's Phaedra wouldn't be too bad for someone in the zone, either.

quote:

Also good:

Robert Fripp King Crimson

More recent

Goa Gil

Infected Mushroom etc

Crimson are possibly a little heavy for that contemplative state that we are talking about, but any Tool (or Opeth) fan should certainly take a listen to what started it all. As for neo-psych, maybe Ozric Tentacles or Porcupine Tree.

uhhhhh, slower.....

I thrive in wicked pSY trance / Techno...

but I love some tribalish rythems, combined with space stuff.

lots Ambient out there, once mixed by a good DJ... is very good as well.

i think you'll love Ambient stuff... specially if slower is your thing.

Email to remind me, I'll see if i can find a Ambient artis for you. I remember one that mixed his stuff on your request. with "Bin Aural beats"(look it up kids & geezers) :)

very nice , smoothsailing music.

cheers

bri

over the last few years I found that psy trance was becoming more and more incompatible with my states of mind. I thought I was just getting old. I went through a similar thing in about 96 and found my roots back in techno. That opportunity didn't arise this time though, as virtually all my friends are now into psy-trance and I hadn't heard a good techno track for years. Even my usual record shops don't stock any decent techno. The only conlusion was that I was over the music as a result of working in the industry for too long.

Then just in the last week or so I got exposed to some driving techno... actually, one of them just last night on JJJ. While I wasn't out of it at the time, I felt a certain magic in the music I hadn't felt for years. I also had a strong urge that I wanted to trip right there and then.

Turns out the DJ on JJJ was from adelaide of all places. So I'm on a mission - I want to organise a party and bring this DJ over for it. Surely there must be others on the east coast who miss this style.

Anyway, given that I just got past my 35th birthday, I am thrilled to have recaptured some of my youth again

"Mezzazine" by Massive Attack

Or:

"Reverance" By Faithless.Beeeauitiful in front of a fire

Depends how you respond I guess-Before I let the world (destroy my natural psychedelic persona; laying in the back of the car-listening to the hum of the engine on along dark drive to safety as a child was the best)

BTW if anyone's EVER heard ofa band called 'OSIBISA' circa '70......hmmmm, still got it on vinyl :)Fringe African/fringe 70's you know :D

[ 25. May 2003, 03:15: Message edited by: mescalito ]

planthelper:

1,dio,

first solo album.

with richy blackmoor:

ha, i'm not the only dinosaur here.

Thanks for all the musical suggestions, some I know and some I don't. From those I'm familiar with, I think I was searching out a slower, "spiritual" kind of music. I guess there could be many different definitions of the word- spiritual, and what moves one person won't do the same for another.

For example... right now I'm listening to a new find for me of a group called- Lumin. The cd is titled- "Datura". Some of the songs are titled- Sacred Datura (nightshade mix), Syrian Rue (VERY GOOD), and some others with sacred plant names. This is the kind of music that seems to "take me there"... travelling music, all in your mind, without ever leaving home. I find it hard to meditate with music that has too much energy, unless I'm doing moving meditations.

A lot of the music mentioned are imports and not easily available in the USA without spending a small fortune, so I guess I won't be able to sample them. I searched out some other reccomendations you all listed and couldn't even find them as available unfortunately. That's too bad, I would have liked to have given them a listen.

anyone heard the cd Peyote, by O Yuki Conjugate?

never listened in that state

The Good old Classical Music.

Vibrates the Centers of the Astral Body.

When Trip Projecting.

Works real good, anything energetic helps to confront the negative side, even thou sometimes good.

This record/cd has stuck with me for the past 6 years and I seem addicted to it like a junkie to heroin:

Clock DVA: Buried Dreams

The dark, hypnotic, techno-like, repetetive rythms and soundscapes tell of a hidden/forbidden world inside most of us.

I have to make it totally clear here that I am not into sado/maso stuff and hate ANY violence connected with sex.

If you listen to this record do not be appalled by some of the evil lyrics, they are just an integral part of the direction this music is flowing towards: Your deepest subconcious. Since this is definitely the CD I have listened to most over the pst 6 years, this makes it my personal No.1...for better or worse.... just can't seem to get past it...maybe this is what death is like...

I recommend some sort of psychedelic before listening (where legal)

old thread i know but a good 1, time to add more? any one gone on with Oxygene, Jean Michel Jarre?