The Corroboree
Kenny Blister

Brugmansia Beauties

Heres a few Brugs i saw while out and about the other day. I have no idea of ID, although the leaves were the same shape as candida. ID help appreciated.

3180110135_ebd1afd7c5_o.jpg

-----------------------------------

3180944354_04a31be35e_o.jpg

---------------------------

3180941604_cfd6869863_o.jpg

-----------------------

3180936600_0578a95f95_o.jpg

---------------------------

3180939062_2c55cffba7_o.jpg

B)

Do you have a close up of the calyx and or any seed pod pictures?

Plantsoma, without the above... its a bit harder to judge these as what you have in the first picture appears to be a pure Brugmansia aurea species at first glance and believe it or not, a pure aurea is hard to find away from its native land. Seed pods and calyx would give us a more definitive answer as some hybrids can fool the best of us. If it is a pure aurea as I suspect, you have a good find.

The other pink Brugmansia has a very strong suaveolens influence with a hint of versicolor. From what I can make out of the calyx on this one, it appears to be a complex multihybrid. My guess, without seeing the pods or the calyx up close is that this one is probably suaveolens x (versicolor x suaveolens) or perhaps something a bit more complex. It really is hard to tell with multi-hybrids regardless as you could also have a suaveolens x cubensis on your hands. The fatter shorter pods on crosses like this generally denote a bit of aurea somewhere in the mix. Crossing these two should give you a field of whites and some exceptional growers. Form of course will very widely as this is not a pure suaveolens. Still, if you love fragrance... my guess is these will also throw out some heavenly scented Brugmansia for you as well. Ideally, you would cross your pink suaveolens multi-hybrid to a pink aurea, pink candida, or even a pink versicolor if you were simply wanting more pinks and hoping for a darker pink. I'm not an ideal kind of person though and would go for the fragrance and that very rare blending of colors that is possible. Your aurea by the way has some exceptional substance to it from what I can tell which is another aurea trait that is good to breed for. This is a good example of a pure aurea seed pod. I'll post another pure aurea pod from a different aurea so you can get a taste for the variation within this species at a later date.

post-5139-1231521717_thumb.jpg

Edited by Inyan

Inyan thanks a lot. I love Hyoscyamus and grew 2 species last season, and even enjoyed my own harvested hyoscyamus smoke along with some wine recently.

I made that comment about brug rooting, because, like I said previously, as I regard them as teachers in horticulture, I believe they root so easily that it's almost impossible to fail - but maybe that was only my experience with arbor/insignis/some pink hybrid I have. I have indeed hear of people having their cuttings rot, but I am not sure how this is possilble. I even had a cut in the water for over a month or so! It didn't rot, only made more roots, even though it seemed to call for potting, as it could not get any nutritients.. which makes me think... what about brug hydroponics {i am totally ignorant on hydro techniques, mind you]

keep up the brug love :)

Mutant,

You are right on the money with many Brugmansia, but not all Brugmansia. A general good rule of thumb is that there are general rules and they are meant to be broken and not taken as always true. Most of the time, some of the time, many times, but never all of the time.... unless your referring to death and taxes and even then I've heard tales of people cheating death and or taxes. Cats have nine lives and all that jazz. Trust me, B. aurea Rothkirch, B. aurea Quinde, and many others are harder to root than your everyday average Brugmansia. B. sanguinea, B. flava, B. vulcanicola are also notoriously more difficult. Mind you, much of this is due to certain Brugmansia cultivars being more susceptible to virus, bacteria, etc. Places like Gommer's pay to have their stock cultured virus free when they become infected and can thus keep selling some of the hot sellers that people like a bit faster than others as they are easier to root when healthy. Go figure that one. The problem arises when those virus prone specimens find their way into the average person's collection and disease sets in. Personally, I think many of these more disease prone Brugmansia should exist only in a hybridizers garden with the specific aim of keeping whatever trait or traits are worthwhile to keep while breeding for stronger Brugmansia at the same time.

Hi, could someone recommend a nice fast growing attractive and scented brug for south east Qld. ,, that's high temps and humidity in summer, mild winters. I've not had a brug, I'd like a success for my first. I grow roses, and cacti, the high tem/humid really takes their toll on flowers, so if there is a brug that can flower for a long time without looking like crap that would be a plus.

Also I asked this before, but it was around xmas, and possibly not seen. Any brisbane people know if BNE nurseries or supermarkets sell brugs, or are they maybe listed as a weed so not legal for sale.

Blog, you want a simple B. aurea or B. aurea hybrid. Very fragrant, can withstand heat, doesn't collapse in the heat. Anything with a significant amount of suaveolens will tend to collapse in the heat. B. aurea and B. suaveolens tend to be the most fragrant and hybrids composed of these two. B. arborea has a bit of fragrance, but not so much as to impress most. B. flava, B. sanguinea, B. vulcanicola... these hybrids don't fit your bill for fragrance at all and melt in the heat as well.

i have some candidas,a yellow aurea and a few rooted double yellow aurea hybrids available 4 trade or sale.

t s t .

I drove past what I'm positive is a Brug tree in Sydney the other day, near the Eastern Distributor. Incredibly beautiful! I'd never really noticed them before, butI can't imagine how not, with it's huge drooping white flowers.

After a few sessions of Brugmansia bioassays (Smoked Dried-Cured)

It has been observed for the next few days after that it tends to give the consumer

Flu Like symptoms, Running Nose, Excess Phlegm production and an overall "shitty" feeling etc!

It has not only been with Brug but with D.Metal - Stramonium also!

Is this a normal after effect with consuming Smoked material from these plants?

i have noticed this with just smoking -things- many plants seem to give me the soar throat/coughing/runny nose type things. never tried brugs/datura...so maybe not the same.

It has been observed for the next few days after that it tends to give the consumer

Flu Like symptoms, Running Nose, Excess Phlegm production and an overall "shitty" feeling etc!

I noticed a slight hangover the next day, rather a groggy mood than hangover, after combining some wine with some hyoscyamus leaf. And I hadnt drank so much to explain such a load...

How many sessions did you do??? I think this is not for everyday use, but for some special occasion...

in any way, all 3 folks who smoked thought the smoke and taste was pleasant and smooth...

This is a medically documented phenomenon called the "cholinergic rebound effect" where after high doses of tropanes (in studied cases, medical scopolamine hydrobromide) the opposite effects of the drug itself are felt as acetycholine receptors begin to function normally again.

"high doses" could possibly be replaced by "sensitive individuals" or simply inexperienced users.

So if you ingested a tropane complex and ended up with diuresis, dry mouth and throat, overall "nicey" feeling during the experience, you should expect the opposite the next day if your body is not used to it!

A few Brugmansia seedlings and a shot of an odd phenotypical expression found on a wild specimen maintained in collection.

As for some other things I've read in here... I've noted that dry and pasty is more likely than not... try to think of of your old girl friend Mary Jane x 10. I have to agree with you Mutant. Definitely not for everyday use, but can be used as frequently as every other day for a medicinal. As I'm not a doctor and I do know how dangerous this one can be, I'll come back and post a recipe or two from a cited source when I get around to it.

post-5139-1232300710_thumb.jpg

post-5139-1232300876_thumb.jpg

post-5139-1232301044_thumb.jpg

Edited by Inyan

1st Flower... B. arborea white (self fertile) 2nd Flower ... B. aurea orange (self-sterile) 3rd flower... B. Roter Vulkan red (hybrid self-sterile)---

post-5139-1232301744_thumb.jpg

post-5139-1232302012_thumb.jpg

post-5139-1232302108_thumb.jpg

Edited by Inyan

B. sanguinea... this particular one is very sweet to the taste as a honey like nectar forms on the stigma which leaves a very sticky gummy feeling as you roll it in your fingers. If I were a hummingbird, I could feast off of these flowers. As I'm not, I deal with the small amounts I can get without flying. B. sanguinea is also self-sterile.

post-5139-1232303182_thumb.jpg

post-5139-1232303274_thumb.jpg

post-5139-1232303329_thumb.jpg

Edited by Inyan

Katrien Bonte...suaveolens type variegated/pink flower.

post-5139-1232304371_thumb.jpg

post-5139-1232304417_thumb.jpg

post-5139-1232305664_thumb.jpg

Edited by Inyan

if i can get someone to take a pic i will but to tease you anyway.......

i have a candida long white,some say the largest brug flower,with a fruit which appears to have taken,still young yet,this fruit has five ovaries instead of one.it appears as though male and female organs could have been exchanged.

dont really expect it to mature,though it looks very good and healthy.......hard to fit five fruit on the one little base........

and the big q is always.....will the babies be mutants?

t s t .

mine are finally flowering, and so is a "wild" bush in my villiage....can i get an ID? :)

this is the wild one.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

b6.jpg

b7.jpg

pics of mine tomorrow when im less drunk and im not trying to get pics at 4am :bootyshake:

ps. both smell AMAZING. when i was riding my scooter just now to snag a couple flowers i damn near fell over from the scent!!!! like hitting a brick wall, but with smell. its weird, i barely notice it during the hot daytime....but night, fuck me is it strong!!!!

Edited by kadakuda

yeah, if mine is insignis, this is a lot like it as well... The flowers might get darker orange and more attractive given less light, my observation...

as far as the scent is concerned, these are the brugs that got swim aroma-inebriated some summer night!

i often find flowering with plants is a bit of a learning proccess for the plant and it does it better each flush until it is finally able to produce mature seed.

[this seems true for anadenanthera too]

this year ,the third flowering year from seed grown plant,my double yellow candida[tantra] is producing some triple flowers.........a bonus for those few people who have got one from me.

t s t .

some pics of a naturalized population i went through.....total area i found covered was about 7 square kms

brugs1.jpg

brugs2.jpg

brugs3.jpg

brugs4.jpg

brugs5.jpg

brugs6.jpg

brugs7.jpg

brugs8.jpg

brugs9.jpg

brugs10.jpg