The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
t st tantra

effects of 5meo?

anyone able to describe the effects of smoking this substance as opposed to dmt?

t s t .

I haven't tried either as pure substances, but there seems to be a lot of variation in opinion on this. Some authors have said that while DMT is predominantly visual, 5Meo is more of a "true psychedelic" and a much more interesting drug. Others say that DMT is a beautiful psychedelic, and 5Meo feels like "being sat on by an elephant" and has no redeaming features whatsoever. 5Meo does seem to have greater cardiovascular toxicity. You'll just have to try them both and see. I believe that a friend's gnome's pet ferret is planning a separation of these substances from acacia bark and will be reporting back to this board (or Eccle's) on the different effects of both ( and any other psychoactives that are in there), probably late this winter, maybe earlier.

"I believe that a friend's gnome's pet ferret is planning a separation of these substances from acacia bark"

As in purifying out the individual compounds from the mixed alkaloid extract? I've never seen a ferret do preparative column chromotography, that sure would be something to see (what would it use, SiO2 as the solid phase and a mixed solvent of mostly toluene, some chloroform, and just a touch of methanol?) Of course ferrets are shorter than the required column, so maby he would choose selective crystalization instead? But the solvent fumes are pretty harsh on ferrets, thats why its normally done by humans even when a ferret is the actual end user :)

Only let ferrets make drugs where its legal, otherwise your a accomplice, then they kill the ferret and arrest the human (ferrets are like dogs- they get the death penalty for many crimes that humans only get a few months in jail for you know).

quote:

As in purifying out the individual compounds from the mixed alkaloid extract?

Yeah. He doesn't know what he'll use as the solid phase or the eluent yet, has anygnome done any research into doing this that may help him? He has a 30x1.5cm column but might do some TLC first as he only has a very small quantity of extract.

Hello T S Tantra,

For SWIM the 5meo experience was of the sitting elephant nature. I must add here that SWIM only did 5meo twice (never again), once at 6mg and later at 12 mg. The 6mg came on unlike the 12 which simply hit me. There is an unmistakable awareness of the "Qi" pulsing through your body. You feel an energy pulsating through your body, it could also be described as a feeling of electricity flowing through you. I had very little visuals with 6 and a little fuzziness with 12 and some black n' white geometric layering. After 6 it felt similar to how i used to feel after i had a panic attack when i used to suffer from them. 12 left me on the floor, literally. After the little disassociation that this dose also produced all i wanted to do was just lay down on the floor and try and pull myself together again.

DMT is _THE_ most visual of experiences, OEV's and CEV's that completely obscure your visual field of an ultra colorful nature. SWIM gets a strange effect from DMT, it's an a felling that i am dying and that i have lost control of my bowels, i get the distinct felling that i have wet myself, i also have had this from very high doses of psilocybin. I hope others may have had this effect as i feel it is significant as I'm sure DMT plays a role in the dying process, or have i just revealed a dodgy aspect of my subconscious?. Although DMT can be one of the downright weirdest and one of the scariest experiences it is common to fell euphoric in the 30 mins after. SWIM has done DMT a dozen times and will continue to do more to blow of the cobwebs.

[ 27. April 2003, 21:20: Message edited by: Slarty Fart Blaster ]

Wastl smoked some 5meo last week, approx 5 mg...almost immediately after exhaling the effects start...carefully put down your smoking instrument...it's very visual: Whatever you look at, lines, forms, shapes, start moving, if you manage to close your eyes, you will see many patterns, you have to keep telling yourself that it is only a ten to 15 minute affair, no panic, sit back, try to relax, and yes it is pretty cardiovascular, personally Wastl would not be comfortable with anything above 5 mg. Your bloodpressure is up, you are hot, but you came here to see what you are seeing: all these things changing form and shape, those patterns...

while dmt is more of an experience that leads to tremendous insights, 5meodmt is more of shock-like nature, still worth the visit, you have to know the feeling, the insight that there is a substance that will instantly send you tripping heavily, but Wastl would definitely not call it recreational, rather very experimental

quote:

Only let ferrets make drugs where its legal

And when you can't afford a baboon to do it.

quote:

it's an a felling that i am dying and that i have lost control of my bowels, i get the distinct felling that i have wet myself, i also have had this from very high doses of psilocybin. I hope others may have had this effect

You're not the only one slarty.

be careful if trying higher doses than 15mg as a friend smoked 20mg and immediately started getting that strong feeling thru his body as well as quite strong visuals, although a little different to DMT visuals. after say 20secs he just fell on his side unconcious and stayed that way for 30min, another person tried to wake him but had no luck. but the friend who smoked the 5meo then woke up feeling really euphoric and in a state of general well-being.

a different friend one day accidently triple-dosed with about 50mg and it started off the same way with visuals and the intense body rush but much stronger. he saw all the walls in the room collapse in brilliant colours. but 20-30sec into it he fell unconcious and went into convulsions for 30-45mins then woke up feeling great and wanting more not realizing what just happened.

I'd better staw away from this stuff. My blood pressure is so tricky just thinking hard can make it spike so high it feels like my arms are going to pop (literally), this stuff might kill me!

I have the same blood pressure thing as my dad and I've seen nurses amazed because they have rarely seen spikes in blood pressure as bad as his that werent instantly fatal- he can go from 100/60 to over 260/190 in ten seconds flat! (well I admit, last time that happened it WAS instantly fatal but I remembered he said he wasnt done livin' yet- so I beat him to life).

Higher doses have dramatically more severe effects (as the available MAOI and other enzyme turnover is filled?) and I would always recommend erring on the side of caution. Too much can spoil a few months afterwards for some people, it is so scary as to be inexplicable.

The fits of unconsciousness are possibly not related to the blood pressure rise but to respiratory depression. We lost my last reference to this article so here it is again. The dose ranges given for the effects are comparable to human doses, (the lower dose being 1.89 mg for a medium size human).

From http://www.tacethno.com/info/5meodmt/5meoabst.txt

Authors

Lalley PM

Title

The excitability and rhythm of medullary respiratory neurons in the

cat are altered by the serotonin receptor agonist 5-methoxy-N,N,

dimethyltryptamine.

Source

Brain Research

Date

1994 Jun 13

Issue

648(1)

Pages

87-98

Abstract

5-Methoxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine (5-MeODMT) is an indolealkylamine

which has agonist activity at 5HT receptors. In the present investigation,

5-MeODMT had two types of effects on medullary respiratory neurons of the

cat. Iontophoretic administration or i.v. doses (43 +/- 8.9 micrograms/kg)

of 5-MeODMT hyperpolarized respiratory neurons and severely reduced action

potential discharges. Cinanserin, a 5HT-2/1 c receptor antagonist, when

injected i.v. reduced the inhibition produced by i.v. injection of

5-MeODMT. Iontophoresis of cinanserin did not antagonize inhibition

produced by iontophoresis of 5-MeODMT or 5-HT. The depression of

respiratory discharge by i.v. injection of 5-MeODMT is attributed to

presynaptic effects (network depression) and post-synaptic activation of

5HT-1A receptors on respiratory neurons. 5-MeODMT (27 +/- 2.78

micrograms/kg i.v.) also increased discharge frequency of inspiratory and

expiratory neurons. Inspiratory neuron discharges were briefer and

expiratory neuron discharges occurred earlier in relation to phrenic nerve

activity. It is suggested that the effects of the smaller doses are due to