The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
theobromos

Nicotine/Salvia interaction?

I recently read "The Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins published in 1858. Excellent book about the third eye of a statue of Soma the Moon and Drugs God of the Hindus.

A major plot point (close your eyes if you are going to read the book) is that while a protagonist was withdrawing from a heavy cigar habit he was slipped a dose of opium. He had an untypical reaction to this substance in that he worried about the events of the day, got up, walked a long way, did various things in a state of apparent semi-consciousness, returned to his bed and forgot everything that had happened.

It occurred to me that perhaps this effect (that was mentioned by the author in the foreword as one attested by medical men of experience, the author himself being very experienced in the use opium) was a intensification of the kappa-opioid effects of the opium. Salvia trips have some factors in common with this report, the urge to walk and do things, for example.

Has anyone (where legal or friendly with people who have friends) noticed positive or negative influences of tobacco smoking immediately before salvia or abstinence from tobacco for some time (hours to weeks) before salvia?

There are scientific reports of interaction between nicotine receptors and kappa-opioid receptors but beyond my untangling.

can't be ov much help, but the woman running the amsterdam shop where i bought my salvia expeerience specifically told me not to mix it w/tobacco as that "fu*ks it up"

have a memory of maoi effects due to drug withdrawl,forget the source,sorry.

t s t .

Just be careful smoking a non-filter cigarette (maby any cigarette) RIGHT before salvia. A normally scantly noticed reduction in breathing ability caused by smoking two things back to back could potentially become amplified to a rather unpleasant degree. Other than that I dont know of any noticable interaction.

edit

Edited by Rev

I HAVE NEVER had an interaction between nicotine and salvia, and I usually smoked b4 and immediately after.

However, many people I have spoken to, including myself, testimonied to a strong interaction between alcohol inebriation and salvia use.

Don't Know if this helps-but,recently had an interaction with a TCA(nortryptaline), Alch, and erb -Very strange,had total blackout about the previous night after taking the prescription med.-Got up with a total hangover(not usual 4 me )

The weird thing was;

I fitted a new shelf in the garage, arranged certain amulets,symbols and a gourd on the shelf,then re-potted two plants,fixed my plant incubator-then crashed!!-Go Figure :confused:

NO RECOLLECTION AT ALL.

quote:

or better yet, anyone know any reformed junkies who have also kicked the smoking habit?

That's me! ( Although admittedly I never used as much of either as many do, and still occasionaly endulge.)

Thelema, the question is have you tried Salvia while withdrawing from tobacco addiction? Unfortunately most people withdraw from tobacco rarely. An interaction from that is not necessarily exclusive of no interaction while addicted. Consider that in the story it was two weeks into the withdrawal when the interaction occurred.

quote:

, did various things in a state of apparent semi-consciousness, returned to his bed and forgot everything that had happened.

Tropane containing plants are often added to opium as a potentiator, and are renowned for producing delirium followed by complete amnesia.

As for "walking a long way", the opiates do let you perform amazing feats of endurance, as pain and exhaustion are not felt. I have often overexerted myself whilst on opiates and regretted it the next day.

[ 30. April 2003, 17:05: Message edited by: Tryptameanie ]