The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
The Dude

Local Massive Cactus

This cactus is huge easily 4-5 metres tall, I can't judge heights and distances for shit though.

I scored myself some fallen limbs that were quite large, the new pup growth tends to have that typical green/blue to bright green near tips colouration. I'll take some more photos tommorow...

The mother plant had many noticeable furballs that i believe are the initial stages of flowering?

Older growth that wasn't that yellow surnburnt colour is a dark green/blue colour.

yeah i should take more photos. But judging from the dodgy one I've uploaded, what do you guys think?

Clicky for slightly bigger image.

med_gallery_596_167_41665.jpg

Edited by The Dude

Right on!! fantastic find..

Wow... :wub:

Perth or Darwin presumably,a journey of a thousand miles begins with black weeping rot perhaps?

yt post a pic of the monster we found and show duder how superior you and i are as hunters! nice find tho duder hope yours has rainbow goodness hehe ours was looooooooooooooooooooooow. i wanna see some tests off pachanois, there needs to be an efforet to find the powerful pedros and get em known im sure peeps know but i dont hehehe mmmmmmmmmmmmm laxo pedro mmmmmmmmmm

I know people always winge about how morally wrong it is to steal cuttings from somebody's garden..... but tax that shit yo.

Oooo, big fucker there. I think you should go do the good & honest thing and offer to trim those overhangin branches :lol: its the right thing to do

I know people always winge about how morally wrong it is to steal cuttings from somebody's garden..... but tax that shit yo.

umm thats cos it IS morally wrong indigo!

i live in fearof people taxing my collection!

a knock on the door, an expression of admiration and asking politely is all it takes! especially for a m,onster of that size!

cactus thieves suck.

It's true.if it were my back yard i would look favourably on a letter enquiring about cuttings.

You may even get more than you bargained for!

i agree with jono here

man if i had a cactus that big i would prefer to share it with someone who has the balls to ask, i would be proud of having a cactus that large at my house, and would hate to see it get hacked so some kid can trip out on it.

just ask man in my experience you tend to get more than you ask for when knocking on the door. except one fulla crazy old bloke he was he was so pissed off that people kept pinching his plant he didnt look to kindly on me but in the end after talking with the fulla he gave me a nice cutting that he had prop'd from the plant.

he said if i see someone try and steal my cactus again i coming out and chasing them with my gun i am a good shooter etc. he even had put cages around the base and a huge mother fucking ligth out the front to deter them

so you can see that people dont like it they feel violated when somethign gets stolen from them.

anyway i will stop now people do what they do in the end. its on yoru shoulders if you steal someones plants

in peru often san pedro is planted at the back and front of houses and the job of the cactus is to warn of intruders, curanderos will plant certain san pedro askign them to inform them of intruders they claim that the san pedro whispers to thenm of intrusions interesting i find this

People that hack others plants have some pretty bad karma coming to them IMO. Ethnogens demand respect and if abused can have some pretty nasty side effects. Perhaps not in the immediate future but at some point in time. The ripple effect of our actions are infinite. If you were to go about this the right way I have a feeling you will get a lot more out of the whole expirience. The goddess may even reveal herself to you. Hopefully I'm preaching to the converted though.

Epic cactus man!!

Same rule applys to Lemons, Nectarines Ect, fallen off plant over fence- not owned by plant any more but by someone or something else

judging by the broken branch that hasnt been fixed up i'd say they dont care!

t s t .

a knock on the door, an expression of admiration and asking politely is all it takes! especially for a m,onster of that size!

cactus thieves suck.

Right on Jono! Absolutely correct. I would gladly hand over a generous (or 2) cuttings to someone who had the decency to come to my door and ask. Especially if I owned a monster like that!! It's called common ethics.

On the other hand, If I caught some parasite asshole out cutting my cactus in the middle of the night...................

Christ. Where is it? I'll ask... No shame, me.

I've heard the guardian plant idea applied to a few species, most seem to be those that tend to get riddled with birds n bats n crickets of a nighttime...lots of vertical growth, cool and dark rootzones with leaves n shit braeking down between stems...home for animals that will shutup real fast if someone happens on by, of a night time... like a very silent alarm I spose. Or maybe the plant does tell them.

Always ask. 95 percent of people I have ever flat out asked for ANYTHING have come thru with more than asked for, and the rest are usually arseholes anyway. So if youre the flexible kind, ethically, you can always go back later on anyway.

Anything over a footpath at head height, sorely neglected, nearly dead or held against its will by godless consumerists has a higher chance of finding its way into my car boot without asking the nearest biped, though.

I don't think its morally wrong for example to say pinch a cutting of a nice hibiscus... it isnt very nice to level anything and take it all home... I wouldn't lose much sleep at all over pinching a wee pup off that monster but then as has been said, if I just went n asked and pointed out I am qualified, experienced, have sterile tools, know what I'm doing and will clean up every last bit of mess on the ground when I'm done... AND pointed out that, there'd be much better airflow and water useage for the root size if you knocked some of that dense growth from the middle areas...and the outer ones well you dont want them to fall on the local kids or youd be fucked in court... tell you what I'll leave it basically the same overall shape, but a lot safer and less prone to bugs n scale, for free, and I'll listen to you drivel about how your weeks been while I do it .... well that'd probably get me a couple broccoli boxes of nice bits PLUS bits off the other sucs n cacs they keep out the back. And a coffee.

There's a few cut sites on it as is, theyre certainly not keeping it "mint" and you'd probably find half their friends n families and have the ppl in the street have a bubby one in a put struggling alone too.

Wondering what the chances are of something that size having littered the soil beneath it with viable seeds? Thought occurs to me that scraping up the top 10mm for a couple feet around it , spread it far n fine over some trays and see what comes up might get you some freebies too.

I wants a giant.... meant to be looking in a semi rural old german family's rambling cactus patch of a backyard sometime soon, fingers crossed... well done Dude.

VM

Always ask. 95 percent of people I have ever flat out asked for ANYTHING have come thru with more than asked for, and the rest are usually arseholes anyway. So if youre the flexible kind, ethically, you can always go back later on anyway.

VM

Vert, You're right. There is in fact that "asshole factor". :P