The Corroboree
ballzac

Anyone using Dvorak?

Guest Øskorei
137WPM touch typing here @ 100% accuracy. Tested last year, probably a bit slower now as I type much less since my job no longer requires coding.

If the "Typing Pool" ever resurfaced as an career choice............ you'd be a shoe in.

If the "Typing Pool" ever resurfaced as an career choice............ you'd be a shoe in.

There's still big demand for typists, particularly in the medical industry. Esp. dictaphone typists.

I do 60 - 75 WPM and Dvorak is my favourite composer. New World Symphony, last movement :drool2:

different pronunciation

is the keyboard layout dvorak pronounced phonetically?

yep

Really? I always assumed that I pronounced it phonetically because I was uncultured and ignorant of the arts and whatnot...

My understanding is that it's pronounced like the composer because the two are distantly related.

Well... Wikipedia says I'm wrong:

While the composer's name is pronounced [ˈdvɔr̝ɑːk]), with the ř roughly as a simultaneous trilled [r] and [ʒ], August Dvorak's family in the U.S. pronounces it as IPA: /ˈdvɔræk/[4].

Interesting.

oh well- yes, I've been using dvorak exclusively for about ... 5 or 6 years. When I started full-time work (as a programmer) I was using qwerty at work and got tendonitis after a couple of weeks, so now I irritate the hell out of anyone who tries to use my work computer.

Chris.

It's good to know that Dvorak is working for someone. I gather it is not very often that you have to use a different computer?

i found out about dvorak quite some time agao and been bugging to try it, then my friend offered to lend me amicrosoft split ergo with dvorak stickers on it, i got to like it, though having the microshaft split and angled keyboard was crap. so i looked around and found the stickers on ebay ($10) and amazon, and will be ordering a couple of sets asap, justr until i can afford the Typematrix top line model, to get away from teh diagonal placement of keys which is also draconian ....

i really think and have experienced a difference and benifet from the layout, such as reduced movement, and less body movement. i never had any trouble switching between keyboards as the qwerty is so ingrained by now... not that typing speed is important for me, quality before quantity here.

If you need stickers on the keys, then you obviously look at the keyboard when you type. Maybe that is why you found it so easy to switch between layouts. When I was learning Dvorak I could still type qwerty when I looked at the keys, but it kinda defeats the purpose of touchtyping.

i want a spacebar that is missing the right half.

even though constantly moving the right hand from mouse to keyboard (to keypad) to mouse is the main problem, using my right thumb exclusively to hit space is also a bitch. takes SO long to type if i force my left thumb to do it.