The Corroboree
ballzac

Anyone using Dvorak?

After reading that the Dvorak Simplified Keyboard layout is generally safer, faster, and more efficient than Qwerty, I decided to give it a go. My normal Qwerty speed is 50 WPM. This is with no formal practice (apart from years ago when I first learnt). It took me about three-quarters of an hour to memorise the Dvorak layout and now, a couple of hours later, I am typing at 13WPM. It will be interesting to see if my speed is over 50WPM in a couple of months when I have become more comfortable with the layout.

Just wondering if anyone else is using this method, or any other alternative layout for that matter.

(Fuck that took me forever to type :BANGHEAD2: )

After reading that the Dvorak Simplified Keyboard layout is generally safer, faster, and more efficient than Qwerty, I decided to give it a go. My normal Qwerty speed is 50 WPM. This is with no formal practice (apart from years ago when I first learnt). It took me about three-quarters of an hour to memorise the Dvorak layout and now, a couple of hours later, I am typing at 13WPM. It will be interesting to see if my speed is over 50WPM in a couple of months when I have become more comfortable with the layout.

Just wondering if anyone else is using this method, or any other alternative layout for that matter.

(Fuck that took me forever to type :BANGHEAD2: )

yes, and I use mini cd instead of mp3, and linux instead of windows

go linux xipe i love linux too

i have no idea what this dvorak is. will have to look it up

yes, and I use mini cd instead of mp3, and linux instead of windows

The current keyboard layout was actually designed to slow typists down so that typewriters could actually work, which is also a good analogy to how windows slows down hardware nd makes it less efficient... So it's little wonder a windows user would be so sneering towardss the more efficient and effective dvorak :P

Edited by FungalFractoids

The current keyboard layout was actually designed to slow typists down so that typewriters could actually work

I have a feeling that is actually a fallacy. I think it was just that some common combinations on the alphabetical typewriter would lock up but on qwerty, these letters are seperated.

The QWERTY keyboard layout was devised and created in the 1860s by the creator of the first modern typewriter, Christopher Sholes, a newspaper editor who lived in Milwaukee. Originally, the characters on the typewriters he invented were arranged alphabetically, set on the end of a metal bar which struck the paper when its key was pressed. However, once an operator had learned to type at speed, the bars attached to letters that lay close together on the keyboard became entangled with one another, forcing the typist to manually unstick the typebars, and also frequently blotting the document.[1] A business associate of Sholes, James Densmore, suggested splitting up keys for letters commonly used together to speed up typing by preventing common pairs of typebars from striking the platen at the same time and sticking together. The effect this rearrangement of letters had on maximum typing speed is a disputed issue. Some sources assert that the QWERTY layout was designed to slow down typing speed to further reduce jamming.[2] Other sources assert the rearrangement worked by separating common sequences of letters in English. Ostensibly, the hammers that were likely to be used in quick succession were less likely to interfere with each other

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qwerty#History_and_purposes

?

:huh::lol:

images of tangled up fingers come to mind

Aparantly one is less likely to develop CTS or RSI using Dvorak instead of qwerty.

go linux xipe i love linux too

i have no idea what this dvorak is. will have to look it up

i was being sarcastic...but I have no doubt linux has some great benefits, I have never been bothered to set it up on a pc. I got an old pc, which I was going to put an old linux on, and have a play around with it, but havnt got around to doing it yet.

Edited by XipeTotec

The current keyboard layout was actually designed to slow typists down so that typewriters could actually work, which is also a good analogy to how windows slows down hardware nd makes it less efficient... So it's little wonder a windows user would be so sneering towardss the more efficient and effective dvorak :P

better playing games on slowed down hardware, than not being able to play games at all on fast hardware?

Edited by XipeTotec

Does this mean you do in fact use Dvorak?

Edited by ballzac

when you type 100wpm 100% using all keys and punctuation and 130wpm 100% just typing lower case ummmmmmmm, i think it would take 10 years to forget all of that so that you can even start hitting 10wpm on a new system.

that said i'm going to look it up and see what the layout is like.

100 wpm is f'ing fast.

it's kind of weird that it on wiki it says this

"The right hand should do more of the typing, because most people are right-handed."

and yet all of the vowels are on the home row under the LEFT HAND FINGERS.

i was expecting the qwerty keys to be replaced by dvorak!!

100 wpm is f'ing fast.

i'm pretty sure that full time typists (i mainly did data entry in the past although i should have been a typist) such as secretaries can exceed 100wpm full punctuation by a looooong way.

i'm pretty sure that full time typists (i mainly did data entry in the past although i should have been a typist) such as secretaries can exceed 100wpm full punctuation by a looooong way.

I think anything over 60 and you are considered employable, but you need 90+ for some of the higher paying jobs. 100 is definately fast. The record is over 200.

ok i didn't realise anybody could go that fast. i reckon that is with a passage of their choice... like one where no finger ever has to do two keystrokes in a row.

Link

Doesn't say under what conditions, so you could be right.

Edited by ballzac

137WPM touch typing here @ 100% accuracy. Tested last year, probably a bit slower now as I type much less since my job no longer requires coding.

jesus christ

Is that random text, or code?

What layout are you using?

QWERTY!

I like qwerty, been using it since I was eight or nine.

Random text (with punctuation) read off the screen and touch typed for the testing. My reference to coding was more along the lines of constant typing practice. Otherwise I can only code that fast if I have already conceptualised what I want to code (which is not how I code :P).

I forgot to post an update in this thread. After a couple of weeks I was still very slow on Dvorak, and I had lost all ability on qwerty even though I was still practicing it. I came to the conclusion that there is no way I would ever be able to use both, so I decided to stick with the popular one. It took me at least a week to get back to the speed I was typing at before, because I kept reaching for Dvorak keys. I wouldn't suggest that people try learning Dvorak.

I know someone who´s named "Dvorak" but i dont think thats what this thread is all about! :P Actually i´m glad that my windows is up and running! I´m totally not up-to-date. bye Eg

rofl

similar to the reason why windows will always be number one. sad.