The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ace

Canberra Meet

mmmmm, regen site :)

What's better than www.regen.org.au?

www.regen.com.au. That's what.

All the wild natural wellness an emu can inspire.

T'was a pleasure to share the wine with a bunch of budding botanists.

I look forward to some forest forays.

Thanks for turning up, good to put some faces to names.

Thanks Sina - that was the one mentioned. Will sus it out and might have to see if we can get a mob together for the big doof :) I'm a doof-virgin, so please go easy on me :blush:

BTW, T.I. - that site looks just awesome!

Edited by Ace

The site IS awesome. I am putting together an ethnobotanical plant stall for this party, I just hope it all comes together in time.

Damn, missed this thread till after the fact :(

The site IS awesome. I am putting together an ethnobotanical plant stall for this party, I just hope it all comes together in time.

I'm playing my first gig there:)

Come say hi at the servantsofsound stage, we all canberra ppl:)

I'm settled and keen for the next meet! :)

Good to hear MORG! Sorry Sina and TMM - I had hoped to come to the shindig, but it never happened for me (lack of organisation on my part)...

Next meet I hope to have in late autumn when our fungal friends come out to play :) I want to do a hunt and get some photos of all those fungi that pop up :) When I get a chance I'll get something organised, or others are more than welcome to get the ball rolling.

I'll help rolling balls.

I'm keen to meet some new people out here... [read: lonely with no friends].

I'd like to organise something for soon, but I'm tempted to wait for early May (at least) merely to give us more chance of getting good conditions for a fungal foray.

So late April, early May? Anyone keen? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Consider this a ball I have just begun to roll.

I was super-excited to be riding to work the other day through really thick fog and was thinking there could be some interesting things growing around the gardens that we could look at and photograph for our collections - But then the fog seems to hit earlier around Gungahlin, what's it been like in the city?

Did someone want to organise the next canberra meet? I dont have a lot of spare time on my hands this time (to do the dirty work - organising), but would be more than happy to come along for a catch up and whatnot. If someone is happy to organise, could they just shoot me a PM? I dont visit the forums too much these days (too much work, not enough play...), but can be contacted via PM. Cheers!

So.... any interest in a late June or early July meet for the Canberra contingent? I'm keen to hang out with other ethno-freaks for a day.

And if so, what's the vote? a) Stay local, perhaps a botanic gardens visit and/or pub/cafe? Or 2) organise a bit of a foray somewhere bush? I'm thinking perhaps head east around Tallaganda SF, Braidwood kind of way in order to search out some wetter forest. Or perhaps someone knows somewhere nice in the Brindies? The foray will of course be contingent on logistics, but I can drive myself and some passengers and I have vehicle to do it with.

Edited by MORG

:D I'm up for it! will drive too if needs be just let me know guys, I can't do the week of the 23rd of June but lets make plans. :)

yeah!

Sounds good.

The Majura pine forests are still barren.

Ace! I know you're out there... thoughts?

And Sabretooth, what about thee?

Thanks for the prod MORG - I had missed the thread :blush: Yep - I'd be keen as a bean to get out and have a looksee with some local folk :) It is raining quite constantly today (WOOHOO!!), but I dont know how long it will hold up. Fingers crossed we get a bit more before the weekend so there is a decent chance of some action.

I think with enough rain and a bit of determination, there probably wouldnt be any need to venture too far out of town (though I dont mind at all if a mini road trip is on the cards). I think some of the forests around town should hold some action, but I am still yet to find anything. I think I had yet another sub dream last night (so many dreams of finding the buggers - still yet to actually find them!). People seem pretty certain that the bot gdns and the cork plantation are great spots to start looking, but I've yet to find any actives around the place. Maybe some of the pine plantations around the place?

Not sure if it would be an option, but maybe this weekend would be good for an unplanned meet/hunt? I have a strange feeling that this rain will lead somewhere, but I could be wrong and we could be struck with a month of dry (knowing my luck). Perhaps those who are interested (for this weekend - maybe saturday?) could post in this thread, then closer towards the weekend (thur/fri) we can chat via PM to discuss specifics? Maybe piece together half a dozen promising locations all withing a reasonable distance, then spend a few minutes at each so we can get a good look everywhere (obviously stopping for longer if we strike gold - I mean blue :)).

Everyone interested, give us a yell (submit a post)!

Well, I had thought that the advantage of a road-trip would be to go somewhere nice. I'm thinking perhaps Braidwood area or Tallaganda State Forest in order to find some wetter habitat somewhere. That way we're bound to find something, because the ground around town I've found to be bare of practically anything mycological. Also, the bonus of heading away is that even if we find no fungus to admire we're at least in a place a little more inspiring and rewarding than a patch of pines in between the skate park, the shopping centre and the housing estate.

Admittedly, I don't know Canberra too well so am open to suggestions. It's just that most of places I've been that are close to the city are not very pretty, although the Bot Gardens is nice. I especially like the rainforest walk.

Don't know about this Sat. Will get back to you.

As far as the meet goes, let's canvas opinions on candidate dates between this weekend and mid-July. 28-29th of June is out for watertrade. Post any weekends between this one and 14th of July you're not available. I'll check up on my plans tonight and post tomorrow.

Fair call about going somewhere with a better view and I know what you mean about the skatepark/shopping centre analogy :) Dont worry though, there is plenty of fungi about the place. The bot gdns are full of all sorts - corals, LBMs, galerinas, boletus, amarilla, etc. There have been saffies around the pine plantations and supposedly heaps of amanitas too (I missed them again this year by the look of it :().

I'm not sure what is around the braidwood/tallaganda area, but google says it looks promising. Only downside is that we might need a 4x4 (according to LINK) and I've only got a 4 cyl sedan. Do you think we'd be alright up there or did someone have a 4x4 that wants to be a tour guide? :)

I'm usually free most weekends, but will be moving house around the end of the month, which will chew up a weekend or two. But if the weather is right, then I'm sure I can make time.

You wouldn't mind taking your 2007 lancer for a little bit of 4x4 would you ACE? :lol: we can go slow and take some planks in case we get bogged. if we get good numbers a few of us might need to jump in the boot.

:slap: hehe

HEY CANBERRA PPL!!! OVER HERE!!! DOOFS UP!!!

824f64458e3639779a8302eea1ac9973.jpg

EMERGENT PROPERTIES

An intimate event bringing Tom Cosm (live, New Zealand) and Vajrapani (Brazil) for your ears and feet. Support from three of Canberras finest crews, C-TEK, SOS, and SideProject.

Set Times:

5:00-6:30 Steve Sobevski

6:30 - 8:00 Dante

8:00 - 9:00 Psytata

9:00 - 10:00 Freebasstoad

10:00 - 11:00 Ugly Bunyip

11:00 - 12:00 Psyentology

12:00 - 1:30 VAJRAPANI

1:30 - 3:00 Disect vs Stoj

3:00 - 4:00 Aneurysm

4:00 - 5:00 Tarik

5:00 - 6:00 Incongruous

6:00 - 7:30 Embolina

7:30 - 9:00 TOM COSM

9:00 - 12:00 Eukali

Close - Meow (chill/ambient/dub)

Decor by Doof Wranglers.

Firetwirling by Alex, Rosie and Gordo.

dress for winter - we'll be providing fires and heaters, but please be aware of the time of year and prepare accordingly.

Please bring enough warm clothes, sleeping bags, food, water and whatever else you need to support yourself (and your crew) for 24 hours.

plenty of camping space is available.

Location will be released the day before the event (lush forest over the hills and far away... but not too far away :-D )

$30 donation per car at the tree. (i.e, carpool and you'll get in for cheap, this is to avoid parking/access issues at the venue.)

Contact Tarik or Mikee for details, suggestions or to make donations. Contact Mikee if you'd like to invite someone on facebook.

See you on the dancefloor!!

Edited by themagicmushroom

Sweet! Oh bummer - I'll be moving house that weekend :(

...and about this meet that we were planning and all evidence of which was removed with the server crash.

I'm sorry I haven't got things back on track (I was getting there!), but I've had a family emergency to respond to so it's been put on the backburner of my priorities list. My next few weekends are haphazard as a consequence.

Given that Ace is moving as well, then we might have to get the organisation rolling again in a couple of weeks.

Sorry fellas.

I wouldnt stress MORG - the main point of the gathering (apart from meeting new people) was to go hunting for fungi (for photography and ID purposes). Due to Canberra being as dry as hell, I dont think we'll be finding any interesting mushrooms any time soon (though there have been quite a few amanitas around now that I've been lead to find my first - thanks again mate! Such gorgeous fungi!). That said, I'm still always keen to meet new (and old) faces for a discussion about the world around us, so once everyone has a bit of time up their sleeve we shall put together some times and dates and organise the next meet.