The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ace

Cloning Glow in the Dark Kitties

South Korean scientists have cloned cats by manipulating a fluorescent protein gene, a procedure which could help develop treatments for human genetic diseases.

In a side-effect, the cloned cats glow in the dark when exposed to ultraviolet beams.

LINK

Now that's a cool cat! Fingers crossed these will be available as pets in the future!

Not that I think it'd ever become a regular sight, but these fluoro cats would be much safer as pets than those we have been breeding for millenia. They would be pretty useless hunters, making them ideal as pets without half the destruction they currently reap on our native fauna. They would be easier to spot when looking for them after dusk, probably cutting down on road kill, keeping kiddies happy knowing their kitty is safe at home (and probably getting the torch shone on him so he'll glow for another half hour). Oviously, their reaction to UV light could prove to be a very short life (depending on what sort of ill health effects come of UV exposure), so they might not live as long as those of our current felines, but then again, it could always have a positive effect on their health (I really wouldnt know).

It is very sad to see that we are still practising medicine via trial and error with animals (something I've never been a fan of), but I really dont think it will ever stop if possible rewards include curing genetic diseases in humans. Not that we need more of us humans living to abnormally old age, depleting the earth's resources further and further... But I cant sit here and complain about that, otherwise it'd be a tad hypocritical, sitting in an air conditioned office with the electric hum of computers and fluorescent lighting...

Edited by Ace

Humans like to learn the hard way not to fuck with nature. The destruction of native fauna from cats pales in comparison to roads, pollution, etc Roads alone account for more deaths.

Still it seems to be in our nature to fuck with nature; to control, to create, to destroy as if we are somehow separate from the natural world. It will all balance out in the end, but I get a little sad still to see something like this occuring.

Humans like to learn the hard way not to fuck with nature. The destruction of native fauna from cats pales in comparison to roads, pollution, etc Roads alone account for more deaths.

Yeah, but the human impact isn't as bad or evil, because cats are unnatural and don't belong here.

*bursts out laughing*

Still it seems to be in our nature to fuck with nature; to control, to create, to destroy as if we are somehow separate from the natural world. It will all balance out in the end, but I get a little sad still to see something like this occuring.

You can begin to see where some of the Biblical writers got their ideas of The Fall from.

I like capitals... stop defending roadkill.

Whilst I agree its a sad site its purely animal instinct. Every animal acts on its surrounding to make them more favourable for themselves or their species. Eg soft corals produce highly cytotoxic compounds so thay other corals wont grow next to them. Whilst I believe in peace and respect for nature, the more I learn and the closer I look the more I see how close we are to other animals and their behaviours. The idea that humans are like a virus is silly, we are nothing but animals and whilst I believe we are overpopulated we havent reached our survival limit yet, that is all.

Alot of GM stuff is said as evil or wrong or fucking with nature but most of the time the people saying this may not completely understand it. There certainly are ethical lines to draw but there is nothing inherintly evil or bad about the technique.

For many organisms cloning is the only way of reproduction.

Edited by teonanacatl

Poor journalism

I don't think they were cloned by manipulating the GFP... you can insert a GFP gene and it doesn't mean the organism has been cloned. The GFP is a marker to indicate the successful clones.

Whilst I agree its a sad site its purely animal instinct. Every animal acts on its surrounding to make them more favourable for themselves or their species. Eg soft corals produce highly cytotoxic compounds so thay other corals wont grow next to them. Whilst I believe in peace and respect for nature, the more I learn and the closer I look the more I see how close we are to other animals and their behaviours. The idea that humans are like a virus is silly, we are nothing but animals and whilst I believe we are overpopulated we havent reached our survival limit yet, that is all.

yes... As a part of nature, isn't everything we do therefore natural?

Whilst I agree its a sad site its purely animal instinct. Every animal acts on its surrounding to make them more favourable for themselves or their species.

Humans don't :D

There certainly are ethical lines to draw but there is nothing inherintly evil or bad about the technique.

Intent...

Whilst I don't think the dichotomy of good/evil is very useful is resolving problems, especially since it is a very subjective concept, 'fucking with nature' as I so eloquently put it (:P) has consequences and repercussions. Balance will always ensue as nature is perfect.

What are the consequences of breeding glow in the dark cats? This could actually make for a great creative writing exercise :P

Edit: the usual can't type :P

Edited by Tarnicus

This could actually make for a great creative writing exercise

What are we in grade 6 here man.

and why must you refer to people as "humans", sounds like you think as if you are above all else and better or wiser, or are you not a human. Seriously WTF.

p.s. i love your avatar.

Tarnicus is human PD. I checked yesterday. he does make strange bird noises sometimes but hes definitely human... :lol:

and why must you refer to people as "humans", sounds like you think as if you are above all else and better or wiser, or are you not a human. Seriously WTF.

p.s. i love your avatar.

Seriously WTF indeed? haha i love the logical conclusion you come up with about tarnicus's superiority complex.

the quote was about animals... human being is the common animal name for us. Apart from homo sapien. People is more of a social term it seems than a biological term, if that makes sense, i never really thought about that so it might not. anyway Seriously WTF. not wanting to be all defensive for tarny its just seriously wtf indeed, that was hillarious man!

'human' = the species name of the animal we are, it's simple english, maybe you need to go back to yr 6 english instead of giving tarny shit.

btw PD can you gimme some cheap cacti plz sir? your cuts are so sexy!

or do a fixed price thingo at least, auctions are rediculous, people have way more money than me.

Most 10-12 year olds that I have encountered have far greater intuitive perception than most 'adults' I've met. If you do not enjoy expressing yourself creatively with the little game, then do not participate.

I usually prefer 'monkeys'.

Do I have a superiority complex or do you have an inferiority complex? Most of your replies to me on these forums have been far from 'passive' and suggest you feel the need to insult others when you are in disagreement with them in order to make yourself feel better.

Me better or wiser than others? Muahahaha! Meet me some day, it would be fun and you might get a better understanding of the shell that surrounds my spirit, also known as my 'personality'. In the famous words of Peter Tosh:

"I am that I am

I'm not in this world

To live up to your expectations

Neither are you here to live up to mine"

p.s. i love your avatar.

And I love you :wub: This interaction has put a smile on my face daily. Keep up the good work!

Tarnicus is human PD. I checked yesterday. he does make strange bird noises sometimes but hes definitely human... :lol:

And most animals, children and the occasional older monkey love it :)

Bacchant is mostly human, at least that was the impression I got. Part raptor as well :)

El Duderino on the otherhand, well he's an animal :P