The Corroboree
spacedracula

Local Nursery TBM Find

Hey guys, just wanted to share my newest chum with you all, went into my local nursey to pick up some plant tags and founf this guy in their usually very ordinary cactus section. The lady at the counter even knocked it down to twenty bucks for me because it had the black spots.

Im one happy dude :drool2:

tbm2.jpg

tbm1.jpg

I assume its recently been repotted to make it presentable, do you guys reckon an upgrade to a larger pot might do good things for it?

Edited by spacedracula

Nice find....down down bux from 24 noooice, looks pretty happy where it is, shows all the dif groth forms too :drool2:

nice and blue with the arial roots n all. nice. Should have a tbm form appreciation thread, like a bonsai show.

A bigger pot would be good, chuck it in a 200mm I reckon

Edited by phloom

Man, that is an awesome score for 20bux. Lucky bugger :P

thats on one large column...and some fat pups too, great score!! :drool2: ...$20 damm thats good.

SW

Sensational ! Yeah bigger pot for sure. Due to the black spot I would put it in a larger terracotta pot with nice well draining soil. Good find :)

Edited by Hellonasty

(best borat voice) Niiiiiiiiiihhhccceeee!

I got bent over for the one clump of bridge I actually paid for, about half or a third the size of that (hard to judge) for twice the price... no rot spots though. Seems you did well with the range of present forms too, even seems it has spat out the odd "normal" looking pup... 4 ribbed non-mutant looking things with fairly regular spination for their size.One of my pups has come out so normal looking at its wee size that I'd never have thought it came from the same clump to start with.

Would this nursery happen to have a name or a vague location, by any chance?

Black rot is a curse in clumps like that, I find it pays to go over em every couple weeks with some long nosed snippers and some equally long tweezers ,snippers good and sharp to avoid ripping out aerioles, and snipping at the base any spines that are about to grow into neighbouring sections. Still leaves a good silhouette of spines around the clumps but takes the pain out of the middle... it hurts to watch em sometimes, ingrown toenail from hell or what? I only managed to save a few sections on mine and a mates by completely removing (clean tools for each and every cut) the spottier sections, cutting out the rot and hitting with a light mist of very very dilute thyme oil in sterilized water, then let em wrinkle up a little in an area with very very good airflow, then reroot as per usual... a few of my separated pups have a bit of a healed over ulcer here or there but anything to stop the rot. Only lost one out of a dozen fairly spotty pieces.

And is it just my imagination or are the more phallic "2 ribbed" growth sections more susceptible to rot than the more regular looking "4 ribbed" sections? Sorry for the wee hijack, it's probably just me... but was thinking it might have something to do with a more favourable layout of cell walls in the dickier ones, or something?

Well done once again, I'll be quietly muttering your name all weekend though, don't take it personally :P

VM

Those black spots will heal just fine on their own though no? Most all my bridgesii get them, especially when cuttings are taken...

Some do, some don't, across many species... I find that odd little microscopic pustule that isn't in real deep tends to act like a blind zit til it hardens off... others look like non events on Monday and by Friday you're doing amputation. Would depends on individual specimen, cultural techniques, growing conditions etc too, and the reason for the spot in the first place. A quick jab from a weathered just about sterile sun blasted spine doesn't seem too heinous at first, whereas a wiggling jab taking place at the start of an hour long car trip from a spine that lived in some dank steamy greenhouse... different story.

Like tetanus really... I've opened myself on some festy stuff over time and never got it, boosters or no... other people scrape their finger on the fence of an old cattle yard and just about die.

The real decider is your willingness to have faith, or foot the odd loss. Me, I'm the grabby kind lol

VM

Hehe, right on...

We don't really know what causes it though - I'm not talking about spine wounds necessarily - but the general bubbles that become black spots - most any bridgesii I've seen, when cut, will form those bubbles/black spots on the cutting -

I know a large bridgesii mother plant that has no scarring or black rot of any sort on it, but every cutting I've taken from it develops those bubbles/spots within a few days, and they take a matter of weeks to heal up and become scars... Some of them are pretty scary looking, and will drip that black pus out of them - but all such cuttings have recovered and the overall health, rooting, and growth seems unaffected...

I wonder why they do that when cut? Is it contamination of some sort?

T pachanoi/peruvianus don't seem to have that issue to nearly the same extent...

Thanks guys, i was pretty happy with myself for this one haha. Looks like its got lots of penis-pups on the more normal parts, so maybe at the end of the season I'll have a few to pass on.

Hey Vertmorpheus, the nursery was the landscaping supplies place at carseldine in Brisbane, but theres like three nurseries there that all seem to get their cacti from the same supplier, ill see if i can maybe get the details from the girl at the counter, imagine what they sell them for wholesale if theyre selling for 24.99 retail!

The black spot looks pretty minor, ive got a smaller TBM that had a breakout with those heavy rains we had here a while back, and with a nearly complete pullback of water and fert, it got through okay, and its much smaller, a light dust with some anti fungicide rooting powder helped a bit too i believe. Ive got the bigboy in the shade in a nice breezy warm spot, and theres already some callous over some of the spots, so im quietly confident. If they flare up again ill try the anti fungicide, but theres no reason to it if i dont have to right?

However i am taking your idea about snipping off some of those spines, theres a couple just about to get nasty. Thanks mate.

Do you guy get the little flys (almost fruit flies) sitting on the spots sucking up the black juice? I had a theory that was how the fungus got to my garden in the first place, because the first cactus to get it was grown from seed (by a friend) and was the only one i had at the time. Ive had it on pach and bridgexscops as well since and theyve beaten it with no major stress.

The cacti will usually not poke itself with its own spines though no? It will grow it's pups around the spines, or the spines around the pups, one of the two - I'm amazed by how mine do that, like they can feel if they're hurting themselves..

I managed to deal with a bit of rot this month just by moving them out of the sun a bit and away from the water. all my cacti only show signs of rot when they get a full week of rain. some of them remain fine though even through that.

damn you got a nice find!!!!! Congratulations. i would be grinning ear t ear if i were you!

i would not worry too much about those black spots, they should heal fine. my bridgesii get them sometimes as well, they just seem more susceptible to it.

I'm curious as to approximately how old that plant would be. I know the information would be on the forum somewhere, but I've searched a lot and have only found peopl saying that TBM is a slow grower, not how slowly it actually DOES grow.

I have a TBM that is one main 'knob' with a small pup, and I'm wondering how long it will take to reach the size of yours.

Anyone have an answer?

Not an answer, but my experience has been that most trich's grow pretty slowly until they hit 'critical root-mass' and then things rally start to happen. Noticeably moreso with bridge's than any other I've grown.

Obviously this means no pots, and takes several years at the least.

ed

Wow, somehow I managed to overlook this thread! SD, you have done extremely well in finding this beauty!! :drool2:

Is it just me, or does this look very much like both clone A and B in one plant??? Could that mean they are somewhat more closely related than we had previously thought (possibly just the same clone?)?? I wonder if there are any Americans on the board that could clarify how similar it is to the US/European tall-clone? We (Aus) only have the little clumping one with rather small sections (like the majority of this plant), whereas this one clearly has some much longer sections (like a few of the top sections of this one). And they dont appear to be from etiolation (lack of light) because they are still very thick sections. This is getting me rather curious!