The Corroboree
PD.

Flowers!

maybe now is a good time for me to remind folks that the flowers are in fact some of the best smoke ive ever had. and resin xtract is well, the lushest stuff ever... by far my most favourite way of intacting with these plants.

Also, of anyone was inclined to do so, i would love to try an essence!.

(just pull off the green/hairy bits, its the petels, stamen and pollen your after, like with lillies, only better :wub: )

first pach flower :)

3139675054_24355afc9e_o.jpg

3138842693_67eba8d650_o.jpg

3138844209_3a37d733de_o.jpg

That's ridiculous sb! How tall is that plant? Is it in a greenhouse? :D

I hate you all.....flower power junkies...

H.

Jeebus, SB, that be one MINT flower show...

Hss that happened that way before, and did you get any seeds from them? How old is it?

OK, ill try my best to explain.

The plant i have which i refer to as super pedro is called as such by the person i get it from who has called it that for many many years, he has supplied a major distributor in melbourne for many many years also, he also supplied the said distributor with regular pach and an amount of bridgesii. So in actual fact the plant you say was collected in melbourne would more than likely be the same plant! That said, like all trichos there can be dramatic differences of appearance due to growing conditions such as climate, sun exposure etc, i have had super pedro cuttings that look like regular pach thru to heavily spined monsters which look nothing like a regular pach at all.

I have never heard of T. roseii being called super pedro and when i finally got some roseii from the garden it was imported to in the late 1920s it is easy to see it is a straight peruvianus (with long and short spined variants) hence the name roseii (T. peruvianus was originally named T. roseii to avoid confusion with C. peruvianus)

IME it is roseii which is rare as hens teeth in these circles and therefore would be the more desired plant for prop. Roseii is without doubt the most beautiful tricho strain we have here in Au! It is an awesome blue coloured peruvianus that is hard to be mistaken for anything else, like i mentioned is rarely seen in collections it has to been seen in all its splendour to be fully appreciated.

If you have any pics of the plants you mentioned E i would really like to see them, it would help a great deal in sorting out the naming of the plants!

anyways, here are a couple lil copiapoas that flowered today, the large T. pach is about to fully flower, opening tonite followed by psycho0, yowie and a few more J3 flowers :)

please excuse the quality of the pics, my camera is playin up and i had to use my phone :(

post-1464-1230428740_thumb.jpgpost-1464-1230428818_thumb.jpg

Hey PD, awesome photos/flowers!

Was wondering if you'd be so kind as to post some pics of the roseii plant you have to see what it really looks like, as many people have claimed to have roseii and they've all looked different.

post-1464-1230896523_thumb.jpgpost-1464-1230896577_thumb.jpg

There ya go egad, the long and short spined variants. :)

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

thats a beautiful plant PD, if we ever got any cuts for trade or sale i would be very interested

gerbil good to see you pach there its had grown alot since i last seen it, must be a tall thing now was up to the bottom of that window when i saw it last.

great photos in this thread

Edited by VelvetSiren

There ya go egad, the long and short spined variants. :)

Cool, thanks mate! The plot thickens! I shall compare your images to the variants i have received under the name roseii.

EDIT: After reviewing your images and comparing to my plants, the long spined variant is the same plant as i first received under that name a number of years ago, and quite dissimilar to the variety i received a year or two ago.

Is the short spined variant you posted an actual different cactus, or is it the same plant with different growth characteristics due to growing environment etc? Also, does it happen to grow more slender than the long spined variant?

Edited by egad

That's ridiculous sb! How tall is that plant? Is it in a greenhouse? :D

About 9 ft. including the 40cm Tuscan pot.

Jeebus, SB, that be one MINT flower show...

Hss that happened that way before, and did you get any seeds from them? How old is it?

Yeah, I last more last year but I removed a tall branch for stability reasons. It's about 9 years old now - it's in a pot and I'm unable to replant it as it's too heavy so growth is fairly slow. No signs of fruiting yet, I'd be very surprised if it happens as the only X was with another common pach. In the past successful X's were made with SuperPedro, macrogonus? & a fat pach.

Man that's sweet strangebrew!

Here's a couple of mine, standard SP, unknown pachanoid of some kind and Bruce though I can't take credit for the last one it came with the flower bud attached... also a cliestocactus strausii doing its thing back in spring

post-1521-1230969910_thumb.jpg

post-1521-1230969961_thumb.jpg

post-1521-1230970819_thumb.jpg

post-1521-1230970880_thumb.jpg

Couldn't resist showing off my first loph flower!

sorry about the shitty quality...

photo.jpg

Nice healthy looking loph there Gromit, very nice mate :)

Micro - The "unknown" pachanoid (second from left) in your group of pics would be yowie imo. The single or double downward pointing spines are a trait thereof. Excellent garden btw!!!

A good way to encourage flowering is leaving the plant in the same pot for a few years as to make it rootbound. I have had a PC pach in the same pot for around three years and while it is only 2.5ft tall, slow growing and has three arms it flowered on all three columns this season, the smallest column being a tad over 1ft. Three other neglected singular columns with heights ranging from 2 to 2.5ft in pots far too small also flowered. Full sunlight may also be key in this method.

The growth will slow considerably like mentioned but if you want flowers and have had no success using another method it is worth trying i believe.

just curious how the 'yowie' clone got its name?

tripitaka and i have been cultivating this plant for about 4 years now.... has anyone bioassayed?

Yowie found the plant I think. Nothing special from what I remember being told via grapevine, just one he spotted. However I believe that the skinny clone is the one peeps wants from that early explorer.

On the subject of flowers. I have several grafted lophs that flower their asses off constantly! I grafted them all at same time from same seed batch, although they vary hugely in phenotype. The weird thing is that I hear/read most peeps get seed/fruit from self pollenation, however IME I only get fruit if I manually pollenate the flowers. Even if it's just from a diff flower on same loph. Just seems to require manual pollenation. U see how useful insects are when YOU have to take over THEIR job to create seed.

Has any1 else ever had this same problem?

Edited by naja naja

This plant in flower with the two downward pointing spines comes from a large plant in SA. It may well be the same as Yowie but comes from a different plant AFAIK unless Yowie is from SA. This is a beautiful plant... a very deep green. So what's the consensus - Yowie, or not?

Edited by Micromegas

Yep yowie was the one that directed me to that plant and is of the ecuadorian pachanoid bent which isnt all that common to come across which is why people seem to want it. Very different/strange in other regards but each plant is different in that nature.

yowie opened up the other night, was crossed with the other pachanoi pollen. Stigma has browned a little, shrivelled and highly receded, will see how it goes.

Besides her more browny redness in her hairs, at full bloom the flower bracts where really tightly curved back towards the seed pod; seems more drastic than in the other 'normal' pachanoi which is more grey hair with a fanned sorta forward point to them, cobra like. vague first obs.

very nice plant in the gallery micromegas, very very nice.

gallery_239_3_86746.jpg

Edited by gerbil

Hey gerbil I have been reliably informed by another SAB member that that plant is called Goliath, possibly a peru x pach but who knows... it's very fat and new growth is very frosted/blue. v.slow growing tho i think. and here it is in flower. Bigger flower than PC.

post-1521-1231559870_thumb.jpg

And here is the sausage plant doing its thing tho not mine unfortunately... smaller flowers than PC... also shown is its propensity to morph and alter rib structure

post-1521-1231560187_thumb.jpg

post-1521-1231560215_thumb.jpg

post-1521-1231560376_thumb.jpg

Edited by Micromegas

Yeah the few I've had and seen in the past have always been noticably smaller than PC, another reason why it could be macrogonus. It's yet another stubborn flowerer IME.

Just about all my pieces have decided to terminate this season too, bizarre.

the last monstrose pic is lookin sorta like it's got some scop in it in a sense, but still pretty ecuador pach like but weird hehe a macro that age and size would be good to have around.

:drool2: loving these photos everyone keep em coming.

gromit that's one hot photo, perfect lookin loph yuo must be very proud :)

geeze sb you could take a bath in those flowers! lol very impressed.

ah pd that rosseii is electric :wub::drool2:

make any hybrids plantsoma? nice lookin first bloom :D

Edited by gerbil

spa01961vd4.jpg

J3, pic by Nat.

Edited by PD.