The Corroboree
Sparkster

Books that changed you

Hello everyone,

I discovered this message board by searching for a collection of esoteric/theological/philosophical ebooks. Turns out someone had set up a thread here about a torrent of occult books. I had a lurk around as I thought this place is pretty interesting, turns out it is! B) and the people here seem pretty decent too (so far at least :P )

Pleased to meet you all anyways... :rolleyes:

so thats my (brief) introduction... now onto the topic of this thread.

I've always had an affinity towards books, I love what they represent, how they can affect people, how people can write so personally, and how some people can write so provokingly.

Few years ago back in my teens I went to an antique bookstore and bought a book called "There is no death" a non-fiction book written by Florence Marryat in late 1800's and printed early 1900s. She wrote about her experiancing traveling around England visiting different psychics & mediums and the effect it had on her.

I'm quite the cynic and eagerly throw alot of things on the bullshit pile, never to be considered again, but this book seemed to stop that.

Instead of being someone who always had an explaination & answer for everything I stopped to admit "hey... maybe there are things I just don't know" and for once I was content with it being that way.

Is there any book here that any of you rate really highly?

Edited by Sparkster

Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder, Stephen Hawkings A Brief History of Time, Human All Too Human by Friedrich Nietzsche, The Razors Edge by Somerset Maugham, Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (from where I stole the moniker Irving Washington), Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut, Animal Farm by George Orwell, Voltaire's Candide ....and for sheer prosaic beauty (even in the English translation) part 1 of Faust by Goethe.

the Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu; the basics/basis for me. Mycelium Running - Stamets; changed my whole perspective on a lot of things. Can't think of any others right now; gotta go to sleep.

only one book has ever really changed me, "Far Journeys" by Robert A. Monroe.

Julian.

"Double your Dating" changed my sexlife. :wub: THE ART OF WAR from Sunzi had a big Influence on my thinking about Tactics. Stephen Hawkins Books somehow had a big Influence on me. Besides i once read some german books about cancer that changed my Food and my lifestyle! Backebergs Cactaceae and Ritters KAKTEEN IN SÜDAMERIKA made me interested in Cacti! And my Ex girlfriends Diary kinda changed me too! lol. bye Eg

"Here a Book, There a Book, Everywhere a Book Book" by Mr. Chicken

footrot flats-murray ball

• Like 3

Tandia (and the power of one), cliche but has some amazing points of views on insights.

The rule of the bone - Russell Banks -great satirical book that addresses real issues :)

The know it all - aj jacobs (classic)

Me talk pretty one day - david sedaris (i recommend Torst to read it if he has not yet :))

heres just a few to skim the top of my life changing FICTION books.

Grug and the green paint.

:wub: nice one PD...Grug Goes Fishing :P poor fella got bitten on the toe.

The Lost Amazon - Wade Davis (Schultes)

The Healing Forest - Raffauf, Schultes (More so a reference text)

Dr. Seuss no doubt.

Edited by gerbil

I have not read a book thats has 'changed' me, that is probably due to the fact that i mainly read fantasy/sci-fi.

anyone care to say how reading these books has changed you?

The works of Herman Hesse, and most importantly the poet W.B. Yeats!!! He is brilliant.

The Teachings of Don Juan had an impact, considering I was 13 when I read it.

and a couple of occult texts I read in mid-late teenage years:

Liber Null and Psychonaut - Peter Carroll

Magick in Theory and Practice - Alister Crowley (thanks Eli... glad it's finally back in your hands, well I hope so anyway hehe)

Apothecary, ...'all that is very well, come let us tend our garden.'...is there a better end to a book?

Siddartha by Herman Hesse, The way of the peaceful warrior by some tripper who later got into numerology, The Prophet by Khalil Gibran (and his other stuff), Plants of the gods by Hoffman and schultze, Kama sutra by some horny Indians, The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers by someone i've forgotten, The Taming of the Great South Land by?, The Secret Country by John Pilger, Bury my heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown, Bill Mollisons Permaculture books, The naked ape by desmond moriss, some book by Alan Watts on Zen.

Oh, the books that god apparently wrote or dictated, well I've read some of most of them and all of some of them, and they're shite. Don't even bother, you know they're crap.

I'm not suggesting i like these books, but they influenced me.

i still think of the illuminatus trilogy, not a true life changer but at the same time a book that makes you think in different ways and see things slightly different when you have finished it, that along with a few of Robert Anton Wilson's other books,

The Teachings of Don Juan had an impact, considering I was 13 when I read it.

Definately. I bought "Don Juan, Mescalito and Modern Magic" by Nevill Drury and after that had to get Teaching of Don Juan.

Btw Jono. I used to live on the same street as Murray Ball growing up! I remember when he dog died, it even made the national news!!

Oh, the books that god apparently wrote or dictated, well I've read some of most of them and all of some of them, and they're shite. Don't even bother, you know they're crap.

If you mean the books of the Christian Bible, yeah some of them are shite, like Leviticus or something. Then again, some of them are pretty classic spiritual writing. Ecclesiastes, Proverbs, the Psalms, the Gospels... what is crap about them?

BTW, there is no Christian doctrine that God wrote or dictated the Scriptures.

Oh, and hi and welcome, haven't seen you around before. I am just messing around, I love everyone.

*edit* to remove unnecessary foul language and slightly drunken insult, sorry!

Edited by IllegalBrain

1984. Fuckin awesome ending

The Godfather. Thought it was gettin shite towards the end, but the first half is pretty good (like when the uber tough godfather-protector dood gets killed - brilliant)

I wouldnt say they had any immediately obvious long-lasting 'change' (everything always bloody changes anyway!) but they did give good effect!

My computer programming books from back in the day: Paradigms of Artificial Intellgience Programming & The C++ Programming Language, plus this other programming book dealing in abstract programming/thinking concepts - very life changing. That period had a big effect on how I think and approach problems.

Also, various Buddhist texts here and there, again, influencing worldview a lot and way of thinking/perceiving. (The Tibetan Book of the Living and Dying http://www.rigpaus.org/WIR/TBLD/index.html springs to mind).

The Brothers Karamazov, The Mosquito Coast, The Idiot, Anna Karenina, Crime and Punishment, Calvin & Hobbes, 1984, Brave New World, Watership Down, Oscar & Lucinda, Lord of the Rings, Bliss, My Brilliant Career, Pride and Prejudice, Tommyknockers, The Woodlanders, Weaveworld, Last Days of the Dog Men, The Old Man and The Sea, God In The Wasteland, Soul Survivor, The Jesus I Never Knew, Rational Mysticism, The Quiet American, Farenheit 451, Animal Farm, The Great Divorce, The Lord of the Rings,

Edited by IllegalBrain

there is no Christian doctrine that God wrote or dictated the Scriptures

All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;
(II Tim 3:16)