The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest reville

Selective Dopamine Reuptake inhibitors

Guest reville

SDRi's

do they exist?

Ive spoken to two pharmacists and they dont know - i guess i should have come here straight away smile.gif

Yes, but they are called DSRI's

Not sure if they use them in Oz, but I know about their use in Parkinson's disease treatment and a few psychological treatments.

Originally posted by reville:

SDRi's do they exist?

Naughty Rev! wink.gif

I've checked Chemweb and Infotrieve and nothing much turned up. Any clues?

[This message has been edited by Darklight (edited 14 March 2002).]

well, didn't I make an ass of myself..... I always thought SSRI's stood for serotonin selective....., but in fact it stand for selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. now, to me that sounds like bad english. But that also means that the dopamine version is called SDRI not DSRI as I insisted.

A websearch on either was fruitless, so I consulted the "handbook of psychotropic drugs". As interesting as this books sounds, it is NOT a scene publication wink.gif but a dull science book.

It has a few pages in SDRI's. What do you need to know?

The drugs discussed are bupropion, venlafaxine. Let me know if you find some wink.gif

Well, one interesting chemical which seems to act in this way is methylone, aka 3,4-methylenedioxy-methcathinone. Essentially, its MDMA with an extra oxygen atom tacked on. Subjectively, it is interesting... its like MDMA stripped of almost all serotonergic activity. It feels remarkably like MDMA, though without much in the way of emotional opening. Neat little substance.

i thought it was selective serotonin etc etc not because it acts only at serotonin recpetors, but that these 'selective' ones act only on specific subtypes of serotonin receptors

rev, take a look at www.amineptine.com and all the links & related domains there (based on www.biopsychiatry.com )...heaps of info on reuptake inhibitors, ant/agonists..pharmacology & studies..

there's pharm info also at http://www.australianprescriber.com magazine

bupropion is sometimes listed as an SDRI but usually listed as an NDRI (norepinephrine dopamine reuptake inhibitor) and venlafaxine is considered SNRI (serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor)

If I have the funds to take me to South America this Summer (down under winter) , I will definitly look for Amineptine!!!!

wink.gif

[This message has been edited by brian (edited 16 March 2002).]

Amineptine...."It has a small but non-negligible abuse-potential." I want some.

Guest Thelema

Hi rev...my guess is you're looking for DSRI's for mary.(subtle..)

now torsten mentions bupropion, which is quite easy to get in Oz..it's actually Zyban, and I have a whole cupboard full of the stuff. Go to your doctor and tell him you want to quit smoking, and he'll give you a prescription no worries.(too subtle..) :|

Dunno about your theory though...as far as 'creative' pharmacology goes in that area, didn't do anything for me. It would be interesting to try it with something more like....crack cocaine for instance. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

zyban eh?? that's got a pretty bad reputation already. From feeling plainly 'spaced' to schizophrenic effects have been reported by people I know. I'd rather be a smoker (and I'm not).

Ive been poisionng my system with venlafaxine for 6 months - not fun at all - feeling much better off it.

FS

www.utexas.edu/research/asrec/addiction.html

This is a nice website explaining All the neurological processes, also explains the functions of dopamine, serotonin and several other Ntransmittors.

I am just now gaining more interest in this Nuero stuff....Thanks to SAB!

There certainly are some dopamine reuptake inhibators. For a start all Norepinephrine reuptake inhibators act by knocking out the NET (Ne Transporter protein) which is responsible for uptake of NE in the synpatic cleft. NET also to a lesser extent is responsible for uptake of dopamine as well. There are also other agents that work purely on dopamine levels.

That being said, high dopamine isnt a good thing from what ive read - paranoia??

Amineptine seems especially interesting in its reported actions as an oxytocin-promoting stimulant antidepressant... a few more hugs and some DAT-inhibition does sound like a real winner!

The cocaine-analogues synthesised from arecoline also look interesting. I have some cool papers around the place that I'll get and add to this post when I remember to.

on the topic of dopaminergics: i thoroughly recommend sublingual selegiline for amotivational syndrome! B)B)B)

it's also being marketed as the first transdermal antidepressant

I second that Twix... in the hypothetical tense if any psychiatrist enquires...

Edited by The Alchemist

I received a sample of 50 milligrams of amfonelic acid from europe about a year ago.

the people who sent it offered to sell me a gram of the pure compound for around 500$...

I wasnt interested in having a bunch of it though.

I waited about a year to try it....

dose of 5-10 milligrams gave me a slight headache...moderate stimulation...moderate euphoria/emotional increase.

I didnt however really enjoy the effects compared to ritalin or cocaine.

I wouldnt pay alot of money for this stuff, even though its fairly potent.

the physical effect is not as interesting as ritalin or coca....the mental effects were OK...but there was more stimulation than euphoria.

and some dizzy/nauseous type of reactions in the first hour.

I have about 30 milligrams left and will probably have to throw it away rather than investigate further.

coca leaf is far superior in my experience

I think the people that got ahold of the substance thought that it was going to be a good selling research chem. there was a few brilliant sounding bioassays that made it sound better than cocaine...

but my experience was not enough to put it in that category.

still, this compound is probably more interesting for medicinal purposes than recreational....I wouldnt write the compound off in that respect.

I second that Twix... in the hypothetical tense if any psychiatrist enquires...

I waited about a year to try it....

dose of 5-10 milligrams gave me a slight headache...moderate stimulation...moderate euphoria/emotional increase.

I didnt however really enjoy the effects compared to ritalin or cocaine.

LMAO... :P