The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
chilli

Cat Killing Poll

Cat Ownership to Killing Ratio  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The last question is supposed to read "I have had at least one cat for a pet, and I have purposefully killed at least one cat."

Damn, that's fucked up...

Sorry, can any mod who happens to wander by please fix this? Cheers.

Edited by IllegalBrain

Dont kill me!

Nothin's wrong with a cute pussy ;)

post-1255-1189793554_thumb.jpg

In order to properly answer, I need to know what you mean by "purposefully." Does this mean it was premeditated? What about a crime of passion? Or something along the lines of "catslaughter?" If it simply means there was a 'purpose' for it happening, that is different... Please clarify to obtain my accurate vote.

Yes, but not pet cats! I only kill feral cats and thats to save our beautiful native fauna and not because I don't like cats. I do like cats and admire them for the ultimate killing machines that they are, but they are feral and just like the fox do not belong in our environment. Their main problem is that they are such efficient killing machines that they are a scurge on our already rare native fauna. I like animals where they belong. Cats in scotland, red foxes in europe, starlings in Africa, etc, etc.

For example: If I were out bush in isolated area and a cat ran out in front of me I'd try and run it over because it is feral, however if I were in a town or city area I swerve and break to try and avoid hitting the cat as I understand it's a pet and could be sum old ladies only friend in the world. Admittedly, they should not have let it out to rome the streets and kill more local parklands fauna, but I still am not gona run over a pet cat. I recommend ragdoll cats as they are great pets and useless hunters :P Once again, this shows that the original problem is us humans and the cats are the unfortunate innocents caught up in it all along with our disappearing marsupials.

@ Apothecary

What the fuck right back at you, what is your reason for moving this thread? It is a serious question, what is the problem? You could have at least fixed the poll if you were going to bother moving it. Please move it back to chill space or provide a legitimate reason for moving it to the Bitches forum.

@FeloniousMonk

In order to properly answer, I need to know what you mean by "purposefully." Does this mean it was premeditated? What about a crime of passion? Or something along the lines of "catslaughter?" If it simply means there was a 'purpose' for it happening, that is different... Please clarify to obtain my accurate vote.

I mean purposefully in the sense of premeditated. If it was "cat-slaughter," it was not purposeful, surely? A crime of passion is a little harder to answer :scratchhead:, maybe let's just leave that disturbing possibility out. And let's say purposeful in the sense of obtaining any purpose other than the welfare of the cat. Cheers mate, good to see not everyone wets their fucking pants over a poll like this... mind you, you do live in California :)

@Naja

Thanks for explaining, I like your approach, and I should have included scope for that in the poll.

*edit* Shit, now it is in both forums! I am freaking out...

Edited by IllegalBrain

Clear as mud. This now begs the question of 'how long' before the act is considered 'premeditatation.' Anyway, I'll just go ahead and vote rather than turn this into a courtroom; those suck.

Also, I think apo was thinking this thread belonged under the heading "Degenerate(d)," not "Bitches." I suppose the former is fitting as you and I seem more interested than anyone else and naja has some moral ground to stand on. The only thing here that makes me go 'WTF,' is your comment,"you do live in california." What the f is that supposed to mean? Just 'cuz it's the land of 'fruits and nuts' doesn't mean everyone here is a degenerate. OK, so I probably am for accidentally projectile-snuffing a kitten (and God knows what else...seriously, he really does,) but there are many fine and decent a-holes around here other than me! Yeah, right. You're pretty much on point with your assumptions. Anyway....

Dumped so you can have your discussion without me having to mod it (i.e. you getting your pants wet).

I left a link in chill for anyone who cares.

Sorry, I can't edit poll options.

I'm sure you will feel the urge to write another outraged reply, don't bother, I don't check this subforum often.

i totally agree w/naja.

i've never killed a cat & i do love them, but i'd have little problem killing a feral cat on a bush road.

The little problem would be that i don't like killing things, so i don't think i'd go out hunting cat or dropping poison bait around.

The same holds true for feral dogs, pigs, foxes, rabbits, goats etc.

BEER ROASTED CAT

1 cat cut into roast

1 can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup

1 cube of beef bouillon

1 clove of garlic

1 Fine Irish Stout, a lot like a popular dark Irish Beer

Scraped CatCover and soak cat roast in salt water for 24 hours. Drain water and then cover and soak in beer for 6 hours. Drain and place in crock pot with your cans of soup. Add a clove of garlic, and a cube of beef bouillon. If you start to slow cook your cat in the morning with your George Foreman Cooker (or it's ilk), you'll have finely cooked feline in time for supper.

If a slow cooker is not available, a cat can be baked at 350 degrees for 2-3 hours in a conventional oven and still come out pretty good. Beer Roasted Cat is fantastic served with mashed potatoes, collard greens, and fresh, homemade egg rolls. When planning a full meal just remember- cat is a course best served hot!

How To Cook A Cat

21 minutes to get dumped into the trash. Is that a new record?

what do you definie as 'bush road'? Cats can have a hunting radius of up to 4km, with 1-2km being quite common even for well fed pets.

Sure, I think there is little point in stopping cats in towns and cities, but what about a place like Mullumbimby where 1km already takes you into native habitat on all sides of the town?

personally I feel that if people can't keep their pets in their yard then they are fair game [both the people and the cats]. I know this is difficult with cats and I am happy to compromise if the cats are at least locked up after dark. Responsible cat owners will do so.

Cats are a huge problem for native wildlife, especially birds. We used to have a cat, and even though she didn't do much hunting at all, our yard never had a bird nest in it. Within a few months of getting rid of the cat we suddenly had birds everywhere, including nesting in our trees. I don't think anyone who has a cat that is unrestrained can truely call themselves a conservationist. And the difference between feral and domestic cats is mostly an emotional one. They both do pretty much the same amount of damage. I know many will disagree, but if you lok at the distribution of feral cats you will find that they are the highest in areas where there is a feral prey species like rabbits or mice.

why did this thread get dumped? sure it could have been worded better, but this is after all a very important topic for those who care about species conservation.

Looks like I completely misread the polls purpose, I didn't even consider this was to do with feral cats just thought it was something to stir up shit.

My bad, I apologise.

Looks like I completely misread the polls purpose, I didn't even consider this was to do with feral cats just thought it was something to stir up shit.

yeah, that's what I thought at first too. And I am sure that amibguity was aimed for by the original poster :rolleyes:

I think this kind of emotional and often irrational topic stirs up shit without making it that way.

I've resurrected the thread with apothecary's agreement.

I wasn't outraged Apothecary, just a bit confused. The poll is not just to do with feral cats, but with cats in general. Definitely wasn't meant to stir up shit, and I don't really see how it could unless I brought the topic up at high tea with a bunch of lemon-sucking old ladies.

The poll was supposed to be worded a bit lightheartedly (poll questions in general crack me up) and ended up just being clumsy, but the question is asked in all seriousness, and I'm glad for those who responded seriously, and those who responded light heartedly! Wow, just like a real discussion!

AJ, I've discussed this topic quite a bit in the past, and was just wondering what people's attitudes towards it were generally. Specifically, I was talking about killing animals with my brother and Bacchant, and I got to thinking about it in relation to cats. No problems with people killing ferals and I think it is necessary, but I don't think I could do it myself just yet.

Lots of city and country boys I've talked to have killed both feral and pet cats for a variety of reasons, and its these reasons that interest me. I'm specifically interested in finding out the relation between those who have had owned cats and those who kill them for various reasons. I stuffed the poll questions up because I was a bit pissed and tried to edit it a few minutes later, but since it can't be done it is what it is. Acceptable explanation? :)

For the public record :) we keep our cats inside, and let them out on a leash supervised.

Very interesting answers so far, thanks everyone.

*edit* Thanks Torsten and Apothecary for putting it back. I wasn't trying to be ambiguous exactly, and certainly not to be a smartass if that is the impression that earned me the rolleyes.

Edited by IllegalBrain

"21 minutes to get dumped into the trash. Is that a new record?"

12 hr's 56 mins to get back out thats gotta be a record.

I know it s been said before but the only GOOD cat is a.....Caged cat, Had u goin there, I honestly believe the only way u can responsibly have a cat is to have a 100% house cat or build an enclosure so ur cat can go outside. O therwise day or night in town out of town (as long as its not in front of the popo) its fair game.

Just to reiterate:

The last question is supposed to read "I have had at least one cat for a pet, and I have purposefully killed at least one cat."

Sorry for the stuff up, can anyone who selects the last option please indicate that they understood this? :blush::BANGHEAD2:

when i was younger i had a pet cat called bob. he got really old & used sit on my bed snoring really loudly & drooling everywhere.

one night he was sitting on my bed snoring really loudly & drooling everywhere when i got annoyed with him & picked him up a bit roughly & i must have done some internal damage to him somehow because his pupils went really huge & he started panting really fast & just generally looked like DMT was flooding his brain & he laid down & slowly died over the next 4 hours.

i felt so guilty & i still feel bad when i think about it because i liked him heaps & the fact that he died when i picked him up in anger still cuts me up.

Hi paradox, thats really a sad story! I´m sorry to hear! This is one of the fucked up accidents in life that you´ll never forget. bye Eg

but what about a place like Mullumbimby where 1km already takes you into native habitat on all sides of the town?

I'd call that a 'bush road'.

On the difference between feral & domesticted cats, the UK law actually makes no distinction, treating all cats as wild animals. Legally if someone steals 'your' cat there's not much the UK law can do about it.

torsten i believe that eventually, there is a physical difference. don't quote me but once feral cats have been breeding for a while, their paws and head are enlarged, and there is probably an overall change from nice kitty to screeching face removal expert.

domestic cats are still excellent hunters, and lets not overlook that dogs get lucky sometimes, especially with large reptiles and mammals.

i've never killed a cat but torsten is right. a cat out at night is fair game and so is it's owner.

here's an alternative to getting your hands bloody: depending on where you live, the council may give you a cat trap. a registered cat caught in the trap will be returned to it's owner JUST ONCE, if they pay the fine. any unregistered cat, or repeat-offender, is put down.

Just get a trap for wild cats, its nonlethal and having them transported to cat island where the the wild cats have there own survival.

Seafood mostly, but as they are thinking and feeling animals theres a differnce between the the wild cats and the pet cats which is critical.

A wild cat will drive off a pet cat.

So traps owners have to be able to tell the difference.