The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
M S Smith

Trichocereus bridgesii?

Question

I don't remember what this one was labeled when it came into my collection, but I do remember from whom it came, and so it has the name "Norton." It has some T. bridgesii features, but is just off somehow. Certainly one of my all-time favorites, and just a spectacular plant no matter what you call it. I think I only traded this once in the many years I've had it. I'm propagating it a little more actively these days. A very special plant.

1339624388_d456b2b95e_o.jpg

1339624420_83c8a8753c_o.jpg

~Michael~

9 answers to this question

Just off? I think she looks very typical bridgesii - blue coloured epidermis; generally 4/5 spines per areole; yellow spines on new growth, dark brown on old growth; 'V' notching above areoles; etc, etc.

What would you say is leaning towards another species, and which species?

Totally agreed - she is something special :worship:

Just off? I think she looks very typical bridgesii

It's a bit hard to count from a side profile, but I counted 5 ribs, another standard bridge trait.

I agree its not the regular bridgesii. It looks exactly like the ones I am growing from seed. Also I count 6 ribs ;) like most of my seed grown ones.

I'd actually say 7 ribs (:P), but it is quite hard to tell. Why does this bridge seem to differ to 'regular' ones? I can honestly only spot bridge characteristics, I wouldnt even call this a hybrid (due to lack of other unusual characteristics), but I am far from an expert (the reason why you have me wondering now!).

" It has some T. bridgesii features, but is just off somehow"

I get u, to me she does look very bridge but things that seem a little different are the way the areoles stick out a little unusualy giving it a wavy silhouette & the large secondary spines from the top of the areoles & most have 4-5 spines which is not unusual but is on the high side all in all it has a unique appearence to me. Maybe I'm looking to hard.

Very beautiful plant BTW, I can see why she's special.

Hi Michael, somehow it looks like FR 101 from La Paz, Bolivia! Around here, this Bridgesii seems to be very common! Especially in the collections of the older collectors! bye Eg

Here's the mother plant. I took a limb and cut it into four 15cm sections and rooted them for propagation. I'll come back in a few to say a bit more, but I have to go do something real quick.

1343376535_24a07739de_o.jpg

~Michael~

This plant differs from the other T. bridgesii in my collection (and grown under identical conditions) in having a much larger diameter and more ribs. It's never grown five ribs, but always has six or seven, this even though 5 is probably the most common number on my others.

Here's an older shot of it before I cut it into sections.

~Michael~

post-19-1189262569_thumb.jpg

bridgesii is a variable plant like pachanoi is a variable plant.

There are also known to be bridgesiiXpachanoi that were created back in the 1970s along with bridgesiiXperuvianus. These were sold through companies like Sticky Business without labels.

Its a sad fact that most hybrids aren't recognized as hybrids and there seems no real way to do so although they should show more ability to fertilize themselves? You might try to let it get rootbound for several years and get some flowers to try this with?

Its a beautiful plant.