The Corroboree
tonic

Astrophytum spp.

some nice cacti here! i am not a huge astro fan but they are growing on me!!!

here are some of mine.

astro3.jpg

astro2.jpg

astro1.jpg

Nice Astrophytum asterias var. nudum, SUPERKABUTO & what looks to be an Astrophytum myriostigma var. tricostatum + nudum :scratchhead:, I'd kill for one of those. No, I mean it seriously! :devil:

yes you are correct thats what they are :) i keep telling myself not to get into astrophytum because i am moving countries in a few years and don't want the legal headache...but they are so damn pretty!

Nudum is my favourite form/variety of all astro's...love that bald lok. like a smoother, shinier, harder lophophora.

They are a beautiful genera that is for sure. You could always grow them for a while collect seed and sell them off before you move kadakuda?

On another note a few of mine are coming into flower :wub: or will be in the coming weeks, anyone else got any that look like they will flower soon? I am keen to do a pollen swap if people have pollen/flowers soon.

The ones that are coming into flower so far are:

Astrophytum asterias

Astrophytum asterias cv. Super Kabuto

Astrophytum asterias var. nudum

Astrophytum myriostigma var. columnulare

Astrophytum myriostigma var. quadricostaum

...also just updated my Astro list as I just recently scored a nice A. capricorne, and have a feeling I will be adding a few more shortly :wink:, I am getting closer to realising my dream/goal of having as many species, varietas and formas that I can find. Still looking for the ever elusive A. caput-medusae, also keen to get a larger A. asterias. Also on my list is A. myriostigma var. tricostaum, A. myriostigma cv.ONZAKU, A. myriostigma monstrose cv. LOTUSLAND and a few others, always looking for interesting hybrids though, and am getting ready to create some of my own this season.

Next stop Arioville.....somebody stop me..

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

TODAY!

Astrophytum asterias var. nudum

post-3332-1193627463_thumb.jpg

post-3332-1193630336_thumb.jpg

Will get clearer shots of the flower as it opens to full.

If anyone has any Astro pollen to trade, now would be a good time to speak up :wink:

looks good man. my flowers just died. but every time i have sent pollen to Aus. it gets snapped up by customs anyway :(

Thanks, but all the credit should go to Mother Nature :wink: all I did was give her a helping hand.

Bummer! Wonder what they did with the pollen? Probably thought it was coke and snorted it! What a waste, that could have fertalised somebodies ovaries LOL did you manage to produce any seed this season? Hybrid or otherwise? I would love to hear details.

Thats awesome PD, shes a beauty...

Astrophytum flowers are so beautiful, I'm really jealous.

I look forward to seeing when your other astros are in flower, and I'll be sure to get some pics of mine too...

Nice one PD... :P

Thanks KanJe, I am very proud. I will let you in on a little secret, that was my first Astro flower EVER, all pretty exciting. I agree, the flowers are really stunning and quite large for a smallish cacti, love that red throat. That one has a few more buds on it too. Can't wait till I get some more flowering.

Do you [or anyone else] know any good techniques for collecting the pollen? I harvested a small amount from that flower, but did'nt seem like much.

EDIT: Look foward to seeing your flowers mate. Shouldn't be too long now eh?

same as any other flower. i use a small womens cosmetic brush (cause my wife has em...so i steal one now and then). its pretty straightforward.

i got some fruits a while ago but ants got at them and they often take seeds away to their nest :( now my ant problem i s a little more under control but no more fruits since :(

astros also seem, in my climate anyway, to flower more when watered less.

looks good man :)

the Nudum i showed above has a fruit coming in now....bought damn time.

My myriostiogma has flowered laong with one of hybrids --> which has beatufil red centre on the flower :) hopefully i'll get some seeds.... :drool2:

post-1465-1193964314_thumb.jpg

Edited by mark80

One of my SUPERKABUTO's put on a show recently....spectacular indeed :D

post-1378-1199458978_thumb.jpg

post-1378-1199459011_thumb.jpg

That is lovely.

:wub:

Can't wait until mine flower.

here is a hanazono crest :)

cr1.jpg

and another that grew a face

astrosayshello.jpg

Edited by kadakuda

Awesome SUPERKABUTO ReclusE. I tought mine was going to flower this season, now not so sure.

Cool looking Astros you have there kadakuda.

Thought I would ask what people are using to pot their Astros into?

i use those thick round plastic ones cause the sun destroys the thin ones and clay are expensive.

for soil i use rough grit, perlite, some coarse washed sand and pellet ferts. conditions here are very wet, so it cant hold any moisture for long.

Another flower today, and what looks like another one on the way...

Awesome SUPERKABUTO ReclusE.

Thanks... B)

Thought I would ask what people are using to pot their Astros into?

I'm using 1 part premium potting mix (bunnings), 1 part finely screened loam and 1 part fine quartz gravel. :wink:

post-1378-1199788552_thumb.jpg

post-1378-1199788587_thumb.jpg

1 part finely screened sandy grit (2- 3mm sand particles)

1 part cow manure

1 part permium grade potting mix

its cheap and does a decent job, far from ideal though. but nealry all my astros, apart from the expensive ones which are in searles perimium grade possting mix with about 1/4 to a 1/3 pumice.

How much humidity do you get in your area Mark? Must get pretty freaking humid in summer I'll wager. Pretty humid here but don't reckon any near what you would have? I have to watch the organic matter input to my mixes around here for my Astros and Arios etc. use quite a bit of course sand and perlite. Haven't quite found the mix I like the best yet, but it will come to me.

Damn cold in the winter though, no sun but no frost. A bit of a challenge with some plants.

EDIT: What is this lome you use ReclusE? Is it just garden soil? Soil around here has alot of fine sand in it, though some of it has a fair bit of OM in it, not bad, but not great.

The loam I use is just your basic brown garden soil you get from nursuries and landscape supplies.

It is quite sandy but definately needs to be screened to remove any chunky bits of clay and rock etc.

BTW - An easy and cheap way to make a dirt screen/sieve is to buy some fly screen material and staple it to a square wooden frame made from boards.

A myriostigma and hybrids are probably one of my favorites - the flowers are pretty plain but

still pretty nice - these two flowered today.

post-903-1200112474_thumb.jpg

post-903-1200112529_thumb.jpg

PD yeah its really humid here, they don't seem to mind. That mix i orginially thought was way to organic but i now love it. Its the mix i get most of my astros in when i buy them, I think i would only change the snad into quinican.

I love thos myrio's I hate that i only have plan ones. Your cultivars are really nice.

Actually took in all my astro today out of the rain so i might post a pic later.