The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
coin

tulsi, holy basil

anyone know how the wood of ocimum sanctum is made into mala beads ("buddhist rosary")?

thanks

Wood??? My tulsi is barely strong enough to support its own weight. Aren't they annuals anyway??

ok..i've read on up this..after they die (up to 5 years old) the most upper roots and stem and thicker branches are carved into beads..

the reason i asked is because i've seen Vrinda Mala (tulsi rosary) with quite large beads..from what i've read now tho, many beads of similar wood are sold and passed as tulsi... genuine tulsi beads are said to be smaller.

011.gif

could this be the 'tree' variety? (Ocuminum gratissimum var. suave?) supposedly used when Tulsi is unavailable for worship..known as Laksmi Tulsi or Tulsa.

on the insert with the Sanctum seeds I have from AustralHerbs, it states-

Height & Spread: 60 x 90 cm

Pink - purple flowers

beads:

plhl01.jpg

authentic? *shrugs*

sposed to be two types of Tulsi ..one with purplish leaves "when grown in full sun" & "dark puple to pink flowers"? = Krsna Tulsi.. the other with white flowers, and no purple coloration - Rama Tulsi, or Sri Tulsi.

Ocimumsanctum0005.jpg

Ocimumsanctum3.jpg

purple flowers??

tulsi.jpg

tulsi.jpg

umm..white? pink?

tulasi-pot.jpg

there's a book released by ISKCON (international society for krishna consciousness) -

The Art of Caring for Srimati Tulasi Devi - By Isanah Devi dasi.

A guide to growing and maintaining Tulasi Devi in all conditions. Softbound, 49 pages.

in brief www.vaisnava.net/growing.htm

could anyone clear up the issue of two varieties..white & purple..?

is sanctum synonmous with tenuiflora?

sorry if this seems obsessive.. :]

[This message has been edited by coin (edited 29 January 2002).]

Ocimumsanctum0005.jpg is what my tulsi looks like. It is NEVER purple on leaves or stem and even the hardened wood is just brownish, not purple. The flowers are pink or even purplish.

I had a think about the wood/bead thing. The very base of the plants gets pretty woody and may yield something usefull, however I doubt in a 8 months growing period. However, in India the growing seasons are different. Same as Cannabis can go for 1.5 season (ie three passes of the sun overhead) in Thailand , maybe Tulsi can go for a few seasons in India and may thus develop much stronger woody tissue.

I still think the most likely source of the wood is a perennial species.

In regards to the two varieties of Tulsi (o.sanctum) it says on that link that These intergrade through a spectrum of intermediates . It appears that there is no need or point in trying to define the two varieties as most specimen would lie somewhere between the two.

sorry if this seems obsessive.. :]

You obsessive?? Never! wink.gif

I like it how you research some things to such infinite detail. Pity you don't make a permanent record of your research available (ie website).

Definitely! I'd find it very useful too.

hmmm a few years ago i built up a site..was gonna call it something like "backyard entheogens" (a term i'm not really fond of now)

it was mostly a collection & summary of info, and resources, scattered around the net...i tied it up and gave it some clarity & consistency but never had the feeling that it was ready to go online.. so it sat for ages...was a little too comprehensive..now i can't bring myself to present such (instructive) information .. for reasons of karmic concern (however pretentious that might sound)

i wouldn't even know if i was somehow responsible (even tangentially) for someones actions, tilling the field or planting the seed for some disagreeable fruit...some are genuinely interested and this may be recognised as a natural development or extension of part of their path & life lessons... but it could also read as a list of subverted activities for the numb, bored and/or disillusioned.

i have strongly conflicting feelings about this field of interest..there's a such a serious potential for self-deceit..it's in me and i don't wish to share it around..

basil, on the other hand! - it's all good..Aum

[This message has been edited by coin (edited 30 January 2002).]

Originally posted by coin:

i wouldn't even know if i was somehow responsible (even tangentially) for someones actions, tilling the field or planting the seed for some disagreeable fruit...some are genuinely interested and this may be recognised as a natural development or extension of part of their path & life lessons... but it could also read as a list of subverted activities for the numb, bored and/or disillusioned.

This is a constant dilemma. The knowledge and experience of these plants is absolute and truthful. You can't change the knowledge, you can only make a choice of hiding it or sharing it.

Ultimately I believe any adult is responsible for him/herself, their own actions and their own education. if anyone misuses the information on this site then that is their problem. I don't believe this information should be limited in any way. if we limit ourselves for the purpose of protecting the lowest common denominator, then we may as well give in to government censorship and their stupid laws.

The main problem with the information on the web is that there is so much crap out there. For someone who hasn't got a clue it is hard to find the accurate information in the sea of rubbish. We need more sites with good, reliable and in depth information to counteract this stupidity.

Your ability to research things to the minute detail is astonishing and I always thought it a waste that it wasn't available in a presentable form. Now that I know that it is already in a presentable form it is even more agonising to know that you won't present it.

I hope you will reconsider.

Yeah coin,

See now that you've brought this up, I want to make beads out of my old Ocimum sanctum plant. Great idea. I do believe your website would bring more good than harm. Especially if you link it off this site. I'd like to build a webpage myself at some stage but can't seem to find the time. It seems a waste to have one there and not upload it. At least get something up. You can improve it over time if youre not happy with it now.

Just a bit of encouragement...

Adam.

thanks for your thoughts guys..

hehe and the encouragement..im the sorta person that needs it... anyhoo

torsten, the difference with your site is that you don't have explicit instructions..but it's not like i had Dummies' Guide to Birch Reaction..and there's a difference between hiding, sharing, and a sortof subversive promotion (which is why i can no longer use the term entheogen)...

i can't be so non-chalant about the misinformed you speak of..you can't just leave ppl clutching..it's easy to be going down the wrong road and not realising it before some damage is done..i don't think i should be fuelling that potential in any way...

you say 'misuse' the info, but this implies knowing right from wrong and then making a conscious decision to the latter (prajna parada..crime against wisdom) ..surely ignorance (clouded view, not turn a blind eye) is infinitely more forgivable?

..gifted ppl are often the most deluded due to their ability to rationalise their actions.. we're talking about ppl's minds here, and substances that have a potentially profound effect thereon..it's a precious, precious thing..(i have serious trouble even with the idea of just passing some spores along)

i think this is the age where we come to realise that the more we help each other in the right direction, reach out and lift each other up, the more this happens exponentially with a sweeping force across human existence...

those with auspicious circumstances, eg freedom & opportunity to persue education, pre-existing network of support, moderately favorable genetics with a predisposition to internal harmony also with the environment & towards true insight , etc etc should feel some responsibility towards those 'without a clue'

i'm really keen to work up the site again, albeit sans grow guides, et al :]

how old's the tulsi adam? smile.gif

Adam.

[This message has been edited by coin (edited 01 February 2002).]

I cna only say, that YES, I worry about the misguided, but NO, I won't let that stop what I am doing. HOWEVER, it does change the way i do things. You noticed rightly that I don't guve idiot proof instructions anywhere on the site for anything. Simply because I don't want idiots to follow them.

Once exception to this is growing instructions. I have the faith that the majority of people who bother to grow a plant will also learn enough about it and will gain enough respect in the growing period to not harm themselves when it comes to heavesting. In fact this is what we try to encourage. We don't sel most dried herbs simply for this reason. We want people to develop a relationship with the plant and learn about it.

What we do is little different from what nature does. A plant doesn't grow in nature with idiot proof instructions. It just grows. And if you're silly enough to eat it and you get sick, then you have learnt a lesson. A lesson you will likely pass on. Our society has become so far removed from this natural knowledge and thus from nature itself. We don't know what our healing plants are and we don't know what our poisons are - everythign just comes prepackaged in pills and boxes.

We need to relearn these lessons to be a part of nature, even if some of then lessons are hard to learn.