The Corroboree
RonnySimulacrum

Suggested Speakers for EGA 2007

Hey guys

Just looking to see who you may be interested in seeing speak or do a workshop at EGA this year. Really just trying to see if there is anyone we are not up to speed with that would be nice to try to invite and involve in the conference. Suggestions have to be living in Australia and as far as you know, and would be interested in attending.

I think as it is very much a conference for ‘plant heads’ it seems right to get some feedback from you guys.

We already have most of them worked out, but always up for more SAB input

Much appreciated

:rolleyes:

Edited by RonnySimulacrum

I'd like to hear more from Bruce Fuhrer, he was great last year. Maybe you could get Tim Flannery down for the weekend??? if we'd be so lucky!

Though I reckon you'd have some good stuff to say yes, Mr Simulacrum?! :)

Awesome.

Robin Rodd he is an anthropology lecturer at JCU, lived with the Piaroa tribe of Southern Venezuela and studied their use of yopo and caapi, interesting bloke and all around cool dude :shroomer:

wow he would be good to talk to, i am very interested in yopo lately

Thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming :blush:

Hey phloom Tim Flannery sure would be good, but I am pretty sure however he would not won’t to get a name for speaking at plant drug conferences, but I could be wrong, anyone know if he is that way incline?

As for Bruce Fuhrer we sure will be asking him back, I know last year we put him up around the corner as he is a bit too old for the cold. There is a good chance he will be back again this year, but certainly will be at EGA again some time, he had a ball last year.

As For me doing a talk, I am not sure if that is my thing, trying to co-ordinate the conference is well enough for me.

Hey teonanacatl; Dr Robin Rodd sure would be interesting, here is a link to more info on his work

http://www.faess.jcu.edu.au/saas/staff/robin.rodd.html

I remember someone giving a talk on such matters at an ethnobotanica one year, was that him?

:lol:

Hey teonanacatl; Dr Robin Rodd sure would be interesting, here is a link to more info on his work

http://www.faess.jcu.edu.au/saas/staff/robin.rodd.html

I remember someone giving a talk on such matters at an ethnobotanica one year, was that him?

yep, sure was. He is an excellent speaker. Captivating and entertaining.

Robin Rodd that year sure was good.

We would love to get him to EGA at some point :lol:

Are there any SAB or AEers on the list to speak or hold a workshop? Theres a whole lot of info/talent in here..

Are there any SAB or AEers on the list to speak or hold a workshop? Theres a whole lot of info/talent in here..

yeah, ill speak...!!! im funny!!!

People might laugh for the wrong reasons though, seeing as your from Tassie :P

Is that whats stopping you putting the info into your profile :wink:

People might laugh for the wrong reasons though, seeing as your from Tassie :P

Is that whats stopping you putting the info into your profile :wink:

im not actually originally from tassie... although people may still laugh at me for the wrong reasons... :( , I dont have my info in profile... as tassie is a small place , and i am a ninja by night.

should get jono to discuss the art of shelving :P

Without thinking to hard as it is the start of a long weekend, the people ‘directly’ associated with SAB that have pledged to do a talks or workshop so far are;

Torsten

REV

Michel Bock

Maybe Darklight but I have to get here email

I will have more of a list for you at a latter date, but there are loads of other names that are associated with SAB but I am not certain if they still post.

For example Mesq should be Djing there.

This thread is all about suggestions, so pleases do. Realistically we have way more chance of incorporate 1 or 2 good workshops as most of the Lecture slots are already taken up.

I am aware that somewhere on this forum already it has been suggested that Dennis McKenna will be headlining. I can confirm that to be very likely, however until it goes out over the EGA email it is not 100%.

:devil:

There will be plenty of SAB kids around the traps this year, i am very sure of that :wink: and being it is summer and all :lol:

sweet, im def gonna try come then :) Bring on more info so i can book already lol

Edited by teonanacatl

Would holding the hole conference in a massive Geodesic dome be a problem for anybody?

Would holding the hole conference in a massive Geodesic dome be a problem for anybody?

im have a medical condition preventing me from being able to enter geodesic structures... but i dont think i will be able to make it to speak, as I probally wont be able to afford it :( , as much as I wanted to enrage torsten in person!!! :) and meet some great folks...

Edited by shroomytoonos

I couldnt see that being an issue :lol:

Sounds like world class event so far...lets get Dennis down here!

Guest Øskorei

Although not strictly ethneo, perhaps a speaker on the aspect of (localised) native plant management might be cool. In the unlikely event that the conference were held in the greater Sydney Basin, Ø might be able to find a speaker or three to elucidate on the virtues of plant species specific to particular ecosystems.

eventdomes.jpg

The dome is just an idea we are working on at the moment. We are not 100% sure as yet.

:unsure:

i personally think it would make a nice conference space.

:lol:

The dome sounds like a great idea, but I am curious as to what the acoustics for music and talks is like in such a dome.

I imagine the acoustics would be horific, but adding a heap of decor - patterned sheets? - would cut down on some of the reverberation bouncing around from every single angle.

nothing bounces. The covering is canvas or similar cloth type material I would think. One of the biggest problems with closed cloth spaces is inconsiderate idiots chatting away just outside where no one can glare at them, but they are very disruptive to what is going on inside. It's bad enough with a tent, but when I went to a dome event recently [which was basically ruined by exactly this problem] I thought that the best way to deal with that would be a 30m exclusion zone [electric fencing might help for the really thick ones :devil:].

As a summer venue I think a dome is great. Cool in the day and keeps the dew off at night. But yeah, do consider the position carefully to avoid disturbance.

Guest Øskorei
... where no one can glare at them

Perhaps the organisers can hire some 'glare police'. Gotta love non-violent crowd control. T, it's the job you were born to do, I'm sure :rolleyes:

Regardless of what the dome is constructed of, even the slightest air resistance will affect the acoustics. Although for all that doof-doof, would it really matter ?

Regardless of what the dome is constructed of, even the slightest air resistance will affect the acoustics. Although for all that doof-doof, would it really matter ?

We have no plans of amplified music in the dome until Sunday night.

I am in Perth with work at the moment, so will not get time to do any more work on the project for some weeks.

Enjoying the feed back but