The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SaBReT00tH

Growing Cacti Indoors Through Winter

Hi guys,

At the moment I've moved some cacti inside 1 foot under a 2 x 17 watt fluoro lights. The cacti are mostly Lophs and lophs grafted to Trichs. The electric blanket I was using has just conked out so they don't have any heating underneath at the moment. I'm wondering if they'll still grow OK just with artificial light and no underneath heating? The temps at the moment are averaging just under 20 degrees celcius. I'd appreciate any advice, thanks!

They should still grow ok, but will probably slow now they dont have the bottom heat. If you want strong growth thru the winter, perhaps invest in a heat mat or another electric blanket. Temps under 20C will stunt their growth a bit - I have seedlings under a fluoro with an ambient temp of about 30C and they seem to like it a lot. Surely with mature plants, you'd need higher temps. Grab a source of bottom heat, or maybe use an oil heater or something (in a safe manner) to keep them warm and growing strong :)

I have asked it before, but I dont think I've found the answer yet - Do cacti need a period of hibernation (i.e. winter) for all round good growth, or can they be grown hard (high temps and regular watering) all year round?

if its too cool then add more lights to warm them up. it benefits them in two ways.

They'll slow down a bit due to less warmth and less light.

Be careful with artificial heating, especially gas.

Also, I think its necessary to have a timer so they have periodic darkness.

How did your electric blanket work out? I thought of getting one for bulk seed germination, but I was a bit nervous... tempting though, because these heating pads are bloody expensive.

Ace, they don't need to hibernate, they'll keep growing fine if the conditions are right.

well it was the 2nd electric blanket. First one was from ebay 2nd hand then conked out, and 2nd one i bought new from target on special (maybe $40-$45) and conked out. I'm thinking some water got on them and even though they both dried out I think it screws it up somehow. I'm also thinking they must cost a fortune to run for 8 hours a day!!! not to mention dangerously risky as a fire hazard. I had the electric blanket (and still have my light) on a timer so it has about 8-10 hours during the daytime and then turns off during the nighttime.

Edited by SaBReT00tH

look out on ebay for water bed heaters, much more better

EDIT: Heres one now!

I got one about 2 years ago (it was already 7 years old) and is going strong, temp range from about 20-40 C

Used it for home brewing, mushroom boxes, grow boxes and general heat mat, just got to place the Thermostat for correct temp, easy if your using a grow box etc, otherwise you can put in soil or rig up a thermostat box (an mt box with the sensor in it placed on the heat mat)

Edited by foolsbreath

I know SFA bout cactii, but had temp issues with something in the past and putting one of those little 20w halogen desk lamps in the space jacked up from about 15 to 25 after a while .... as lights go, they make good little heaters haha.

@Sabretooth

Yeah, its the fire risk I was worried about too, they just seem so dodgy. BTW, isn't 8-10 hours pretty short? Seems like you could get away with 16, then you've doubled your light.

@Foolsbreath

Awesome suggestion, these sound really good, I'll track one down when we get back to Aus.

I have my cacti seedlings under a fluoro from about 6am to 9.30pm (15.5 hrs) every day and they love it. I think you could go even more without any ill effects, but any less seems to slow growth, so i'd recommend keeping their lights on for a good 15+hrs every day :wink:

@Sabretooth

Yeah, its the fire risk I was worried about too, they just seem so dodgy. BTW, isn't 8-10 hours pretty short? Seems like you could get away with 16, then you've doubled your light.

@Foolsbreath

Awesome suggestion, these sound really good, I'll track one down when we get back to Aus.

Soz, I think it is 16 hours. I got confused between +4 and -4 than 12 hours LOL!

Dude just add some warm white compact fluoro(s), they'll keep heat happening all day and night :)

If you have any fish tanks, just put your lophs on top but angling the light a bit towards them. try to space it so the light doesn't burn them, it takes a bit of practice to find it but once you do; mark it out and then use the fish water as weak fertiliser. You may burn a few seedlings in the meantime but you'll learn a lot now which will save a lot in the long run. In the end it comes down to experience, read what you can; then just experiment. I'm yet to find something that works for me 100%

Do cacti need a period of hibernation (i.e. winter) for all round good growth, or can they be grown hard (high temps and regular watering) all year round?

(not sure if youve gotten an answer)

Im not 100% sure, but iv got some under lights,there pretty new, around 4/6 months but theve been under the same conditions during that time and go pretty good,not sure if it would effect the chemical makeup of the cacti tho over the long term tho, not yet anyway.

I was sure that some cuttings I received at the start of autumn wouldnt take root until the next spring but I have been surprised. I have 2 TBM sections and 1 macro which was cut in half, so two of each. I took the tip cut and 1 TBM and have set them on the windowsill at work, the office is reasonably warm and they get fairly good light but no water as I didnt want rot to set in over winter.

The 2 cuttings I left in pots under the pergola which sometimes make it out for the sunlight and heavy rain have been looking quite healthy and seem to be growing a bit. Both sections got blown over in a storm and I realised that they had both taken root quite well considering it is now winter so I thought I would sneak a peek at the root systems on the cacti in my office. The comfortable environment of the office seems not to have helped the rooting process as neither have taken root and are essentially still cuttings.

I was really surprised that the neglected sections would root so well over winter, sometimes they got drenched on a regular basis but after bringing them in from the flood they dried off fine in the shade and are both doing well. I also noticed that the outdoor cactus are still growing fine over winter although not as fast as summer.

I spat out this question on the nook last (N.Am) fall - I asked about the effects of growing loph seedlings and perski grafts year round without inducing dormancy on the seedlings,

I was told Id for sure have etoilation, and that the cactus would be stunted etc - but under 400W of HPS only 15 hours a day I had really good growth (slightly stunted growth rate due to thrip problems).

I moved most of the collection out of doors now (our summer) and havent really seen any problems....

I had my pereskis under flouros however, growing them out in a veg cycle - not in HID room.

Beware of excess heat in your HID room - I lost most of my pereski graft stock's leaves, by getting them too hot and them drying them out once :(

Cheers

Cw