The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
hebrew

Nu Nu

recently iw as gifted with some nunu from the forest and my supply is almost run out, this stuff is so nice, i was wondering if there woudl be any suggestions as to a close substitue for the ash they use in makign it. traditionally 2 great hunters would make the snuff, one would work with the tobacco and the other with the ash from the bark of a tree in the cacoa family. i forget its name, i wonder a good australian substitue for making some nunu australian style any suggestions.

I've thought about ash a lot in terms of pituri [sorry, no experience with the material you write about]. I think ti is quite safe to assume that no organic actives are present in the ash, so the selection criteria must be based on other attributes [and hence wider choice].

It appears the most important aspect is that the resultant ash is quite alkaline, hence a caustic timber is often preferred [ie high sodium and potassium content].

The other main thing to look for is the consistency of the ash. I've made quite a few and only very few timbers produce a uniform, clean, fine ash with no debris or larger particles.

Arid grown hardwoods that do not contain volatiles appear to burn the most even and hence produce the best ash. Timber that has been weathered a lot and has the bark worn off somehow is preferred. Volatiles cause problems, so avoid them. Water also causes problem, so make sure that the wood is extremely dry.

With the right selection of wood there will be no need to process the ash in any way. It will be perfectly uniform, fine and white.

So you got this nu nu straight from the matse? Just wondering about its authenticity as I believe there's still be some ambiguity as to the ingredients of nu nu.

yep from the matses, a friend in peru gave me it, he told me that the ingreideints have variations to the recipe depending on the makers but it always has mapacho and the ash from bark from the wild cacoa tree, its good stuff.

thanks torsten i will go bush and look for some wood i am thinkgin an acacia.

Edited by hebrew

I've made ash from A.saligna and this was just perfect white fine ash. It's a really hard wood though once dry. Try and find something similar.

Acacia saligna is in Victoria (Melb) hebrew :)

It's an introduced species from Western Australia, I think considered naturalised in Victoria but is still treated as a weed in certain areas, but not particularly controlled in others.

and damn wouldn't you believe it, neighbours only recently had tree dudes come and chop/mulch a large dead A. saligna (Recently died, drought). I wanted to trial mushrooms on it's logs, but got there too late to only find a stump at soil level. :BANGHEAD2:

Acacia and all it's species are specifically listed under the Flora and Fauna Guarantee Act as being protected flora, however this excludes A. dealbata, A. decurrens, A. implexa, A. melanoxylon and A. paradoxa. (This is Victorian State Legislation)

I don't fully understand the laws as from my reading it seems this species is actively controlled in areas as a weed, but at the same time it sounds like it's protected under the FFG Act.

Permits for work relating to the species listed under the Act are supplied by DSE for public land, but generally it sounds like private land is not as restricted but it mentions you may need Council permission/permits.

But this is just vague work on my part, my understanding still has a vast area for improvement so please don't take my advice as solid :)

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/dse/nrenpa.nsf/F...6D?OpenDocument

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/DSE/nrenpa.nsf/L...A256DEA002469C2

Would the liquidy lime SAB sells suffice if dried and mixed? I've got alot if you'd like to give it a try hebs (red and white, few years old), else i'll keep a lookout for some saligna wood for you.

Thanks Heb, the only bioassay I,ve read on nu nu is that by Peter Gorman. Do you feel nicotine activation explains the full range of effects of nu nu in your experience.

thansk gerbil i dotn want lime it is too hardcore i got plenty of lime as well. i dont like the shit raelly.

and the nunu is somethign more than nicotine it is a strange effect, very warming only after a considerable amount you get the effects of the nicotine, and even then it isnt lik if you snorted some tobacco powder. i find it hard to descrobe the effects of nunu but it is very dreamy when you take larger amounts, burns real hard in yoru head but that pain subsides after repeated snuffs, works best when someone blows it into your nostrils, i actaulyl had a dream and in that dream the nunu spirit came and taught me how to use it properly it was great dreaming about that and in the dreams the effects were really pronounced.

sad to see my supply go actually.

peter gormans articles on the nunu and sapo are pretty to the mark although i didnt get visions of animals to hunt and i did ask. but i got other dreams from the snuff. when you taek enough of it you beome very heavy and need to lay down when you do that and shut off these images sort of come to you. its really nice

Hebrew, your Peruvian friend isn't interested in making some Au$ is he? I'm sure there'd be enough people on here to warranty a large quantity. Sounds like something I'd love to try!

I'll get it sent to my PO Box if you want! lol.

Interesting stuff Hebrew. Peter Gorman insists there are only two ingredients, tobacco and theobroma.

However another author mentions a third ingredient being curupa leaves which are anadenanthera(Piptadenia) meaning tryptamine alkaloids would be present. Some TLC on the stuff would resolve the matter.

smoking opium the morphine and codeine are largely left in the dross left afterwards.......maybe ash could contain some actives?

t s t .

I find ground' burnt' coconut shell to make a real fine white ash' it is also quite alkaline'

Bless

Nobunoni +

Edited by Nobun

calcinated snails shells could work too...?