The Corroboree
tardistestpilot

any body watching wilfred on sbs

this is a funny show what a cool idea for a comedy wonder if its original our a copycat comedy ? :worship: hail the mighty wilfred

Yes, it is the BEST show I have seen in a while!

I think a short film titled 'Wilfred' was entered in the Sydney Short Film Fest(don't quote me on which fest) last year. SBS and the original creators decided to make a TV series based on the concept.

It is just about a guy who has started seeing a new girl. Her dog doesn't like him, and is always aggressive towards him. Who hasn't been in a similar situation?

Well, the only difference is that the dog is played by a person in a dog costume. Only the boyfriend can hear what the dog says though.

This is seriously a classic Aussie comedy, it's so funny I don't even want to spoil any of the jokes. Picture a dog urinating all over a toilet seat to frame the new boyfriend..... :lol:

Personally I'm not a huge fan of it - the humour doesnt sit right with me - but then again I've only seen a few bits from one or two episodes. It just seems a little slow and boring in parts that puts me off, but I think becoming a regular watcher could get me addicted :P

Ah k, Iv seen the adds for it and it looks like a pretty funny concept but keep forgetting when its on to watch it.

When is it on? I would'nt mind checking it out. Not a huge fan of TV really, but this show sounds pretty amusing.

Can someone let me know, thanks.

Damn! Missed it this week. Will have to try and remember to watch it next week.

Thanks

Just saw the show. Classic! What a crack up, I wish I had'nt missed the previous episodes now. May just have to buy the dvd. Thanks for putting me onto this show guys. What a bizarre concept.

:lol:

Guest onemind

Do you like this? I thought it was lame.

Ozzies are just no good at comedy..

that was downright un-australian of you, onemind. aussies are responsible for so many classic comedy scenarios that i don't know where to begin. it may not be as cutting-edge or universal as some foreign humour but what do i care? the fact that americans don't laugh at it just keeps our comics HERE, where they should be.

Guest onemind

Name one good aussie comic that isnt a little aussie battler with no brains and i will eat my hat.

No, croc dundee and the glass house crew are not comedians.. Nor are those old timers that ozzies always rave on about, maybe for my grandparents..

Aussies stick to sport and leave the thinking to the jews :P

Edited by onemind

yeah okay, aussies are dumb, that's why we're leading researchers in science and medicine.

rodney rude. want sauce with that jew hat?

Peow Peow! Fuckin eat it onemind, show him who's boss :lol:

Interesting opinion onemind looks like your opinion is unfortunately not that valid as most have said they like the show.

See Ya!

Guest onemind

My opinion is not valid because a bunch of stoners find a guy dressed as a dog funny?

Rodney rude? All class..

Welcome back onemind - glad to see you bagging Aussie humour :slap:

How about one of the greatest Aussie comedy flick - The Castle?

Do you not like the humour found on the Glasshouse? How about Chasers War on Everything? CNNN?

How about:

-Carl Barron

-Greg Fleet

-Russel Gilbert

-Corinne Grant

-Adam Hills

-Dave Hughes

-Jimeoin

-Judith Lucy

-Paul McDermott

-Rove McManus

-Fiona O'Laughlan

-Rodney Rude

-Akmal Saleh

Just to rattle off a few names... Anything you actually appreciate there?

Edit: My opinion is not valid because a bunch of stoners find a guy dressed as a dog funny?

Lol - frankly, I'm not a huge fan of Wilfred either - I guess its mostly that guy that shits me, but that shouldnt put you off all Aussie humour :wink:

Edited by Ace

Guest onemind
How about one of the greatest Aussie comedy flick - The Castle?

Thats what i meant by the aussie battler with no brains comment. Next you will be talking about Kenny and other toilet humour that only appeals to beer guzzling brick layers.

As for Russel Gilbert and other mainstream, hey hey its saturday types, grandma zone.

Rove has gone down since his wife died and is starting to look like a mouse.

Akmal is funny but notice the funniest australians are not white, cricket playing australians and probably are first generation.

Jimeoin is irish.

Dave Hughs is ok until he sold out and went mainstream.

Chasers war is an improvement and notice how they are from jewish families :)

I'm not a jew by the way, just find jewish comics to be generally funnier than Kath and Kim..

i don't know if it's fair to count jimeoin, but if we're going to pretend nicole kidman and flea (born here raised elsewhere) or sam neil and russel crowe (kiwis) are australian, hey, count jimeoin in too!

Guest onemind

Thats what aussies are good at, claiming other countries as their own.

I bet rodney rude is a pedophile..

there have been lots of great jewish comics not to mention comic writers, that doesn't make comedy their province alone. jewish humour can be cliche and boring sometimes, not to mention violence-inducing for some.

i find your beer-guzzling bricklayer comment unfair, it seems to me that that's how you view the entire country. that may be true for much of the population, but most of us appreciate that kind of humour whether or not we haul chunks of stone around for a living. these stereotypes may come close to the truth but that's all they will ever be, we can't all be tarred with the same stick.

i hate to sound so nationalistic, there is heaps about australia that needs to change, but there's nothing wrong with our humour, for a long time we have been a country of larrakins.

Next you will be talking about Kenny and other toilet humour that only appeals to beer guzzling brick layers.

I dont drink beer very often, and I have never layed a brick (other than when in need of a shit ticket :P), but I still found it fairly amusing. By no means as good as the Castle or the Nugget, and a few other good oz flicks.

Noted, Russel Gilbert has well and truly passed retirement point, but in his day, was good for a chuckle.

Rove has turned to shit, but it was before his wife died - I think it has been the last 12 months or so that his levels have dropped, but I think the show has picked up somewhat now that the stress from his dying wife caused has left.

True, most cricket playing aussies seem to stick to their chosen sports, not stand up comedy... And also a valid point about the fact that a lot of comics are first generation immigrants - just like a lot of people in every other industry in Aus... The fact that there are still many other older generation aussies and aboriginals in each and every industry doesnt seem worth mentioning? I guess their value is measured differently from person to person :wink:

Jimeoin is Irish, but now lives in aus and has since he was 22, according to wiki. I was hesitant to add him to the list, because of that fact.

Dave Hughes has never been huge in my books, he is more of the 'aussie battler with no brains' IMO... But still a valued comic in Aus.

Chasers War is indeed a great show IMO, but what difference does it make if they are from Jewish families? I'd estimate that somewhere around the 70% of modern Aussies are decendants from foreigners - but that doesnt make them any more or less aussie.

Re Kath and Kim - another one that falls in the 'aussie battler with no brains' and I can agree with you there - Chasers is much funnier :P

Thats what aussies are good at, claiming other countries as their own.

Thats a big call, mate. Considering the fact that we are one of the most diverse continants on the globe, I dont think it is such a big deal. But I can see where you are coming from - Nicole Kidman, Sam Neil, etc, etc, are all claimed to be aussies, even though they had little do do with the country. They should be proud to be Kiwis, Irish, Pommies, Yanks, whatever. I think its more the media that claims them, not the every day yobbo...