The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
XipeTotec

Leonotis leonurus, lions tail or lions ear???

I know SAB shop has Leonotis leonurus down as "lions tail" but other references I have seen have "lions ear" as the common name for Leonotis leonurus. Anyone care to comment on this?

I know SAB shop has Leonotis leonurus down as "lions tail" but other references I have seen have "lions ear" as the common name for Leonotis leonurus. Anyone care to comment on this?

nepetifolia --> lions ear , leonurus --> lions tail.

below are a few pages after a quick google search (yes, I do use the search engines) which list Leonotis leonurus as "lions ear"

http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantklm/leonotisleon.htm

http://www.sahealthinfo.org/traditionalmed...onotisherba.htm

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1048/index.html

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=LELE3

Edited by shroomytoonos

I cam call heimia mytrifolia sunopener. Doesn't mean it is. The beauty of the net - nothing is really reilable.

I cam call heimia mytrifolia sunopener. Doesn't mean it is. The beauty of the net - nothing is really reilable.

vice versa

Leonotis leonurus (L.) R. BR. (Lamiaceae) -- Lion's Ear, Lion's Tail

Leonotis nepetaefolia (L.) R. BR. (Lamiaceae) -- Catnipleaf Lion's-Ear

Leonotis - Lion's ear - lee-on-OH-tis

leonurus - Like a lion's tail - lee-on-or-uss

nepetifolia - Having leaves like Nepeta (Catnip) - nep-eh-ti-FOH-lee-uh

Looks like only L. leonurus is properly called lions tail if you base things on the latin names, common names dont follow any rules tho but if you were to call L. nepetifolia 'lions tail' it would probably be a good idea to add in 'catnipleaf' to make it clear what species.

could anybody (heh, quickly?) comment on the activity of either of these?

I know lion's tail is renowned for it's cannibinoid-like effects, but is there any more/less noticeable activity in lion's ear??

Thanks for any quick help! :)

from the sab store info:

effects of this herb are in many ways analogous to those of L.leonurus with the exception that some individuals experience agitation from the nepetifolia. The aroma is similar too, although a little more citrus-like and more acrid.
Link

Oh thank you very much Auxin, musta missed that on the sab site. :worship:

Being such a bargain, i ordered one of each (just to be sure :) ) and now I'm very glad i did.

Beautiful plants, regardless of their constituents. :drool2:

The red/orange flower Leonotis leonurus seems to be a common garden plant where I live, almost as much as brug :P

You will see it in a lot of gardens especially old neglected weed looking places. Once you can ID it it you can will be able to have much as you can handle. :puke:

... hehe, true CT.

Yet, apart from the certain satisfaction in merely growing such a plant, there's also a warm fuzzy feeling i get from growing my own plant, giving it organic ferts, propagating it for next year and just to have grown it well and you know it's history. It's nice to enjoy plants throughout the whole growth. If you grow just for a harvest, you miss out on all the other special things a plant does :)

Also, I always seem to see the bright orange flowers in gardens, but it seems many plants have a very similar flowering tip and so after many days searching i just got :BANGHEAD2: hehe a bit over it.

Thanks for the tip bro!

could anybody (heh, quickly?) comment on the activity of either of these?

I know lion's tail is renowned for it's cannibinoid-like effects, but is there any more/less noticeable activity in lion's ear??

Thanks for any quick help! :)

I second this... i've used lions tail on several ocaisions, though to no noticeable effect- though a close friend ingesting similar amounts was quite intoxicated. I'm planning on attempting lionstail again, any advice on how to wring the goodness out of it? Or possibly what to expect? :)

Ok, so I UTFSE rather than starting a new topic.

Just discovered L. leonurus, took some flowers and leaves (bracts?) and dried 'em. Only smoked the flowers so far.

So what is the general feeling with this plant? I've found an increased sensitivity to light (nice to smoke after dark) and a quietening of the mind. Could be good for meditation?

Thoughts?

Guest Øskorei

Try smoking small sprinklings SAB's 30:1 L.l extract to discover the plant's true potential.

Funny how people compare these two unrelated plants. But what's in a name ?

book009.jpg

yes, anyone doubtful of the potency of Leonotis leonurus should try the 30:1. It's lovely.

As for the naming, I think the whole genus can be called Lion's Ears, but only L.leonurus can be called Lion's tail.