The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
XipeTotec

encyclopaedia of psychoactive plants, where to get cheap copy?

ANYONE know where to get a cheap copy of the "encyclopaedia of psychoactive plants" , via the mail?

I'd be keen to get a copy too - but cant afford it at RRP... does anyone have a copy or two that they could share/lend? Promise to return it after a week or two :):worship:

Sorry for the hijack shroomy - of course you'd be the one with shotgun ;) first in best dressed :P

is this the hoffman/shultz book? i had a copy from the uni libaray a while ago, tho prolly stolen by now....wish id thought of that....

hmmmmm

amazon had it cheapest I could find.

hmmm im thinking of neither, think it was "australias Psychoactive plants and livestock" kinda thing. i remember reading about morning glory in there and seeing a picutre of a lamb beating its head against a post after eating MG vine, the one i was thinkin of was more about the effects of psychoactive plants on animals

stuff

Edited by spudamore

Another book to add to my book list.

looks like a pretty good book. There are a lot along these lines, but this one in particular looks mighty intersting.

Anyone know of a pdf while i save my $$$ to purchase this one.

Ratsch's Encyclopedia is well worth the price. I find that I use it even more than Ott's Pharmacotheon, because it doesn't feel quite so dense (it's still full of information and beautiful pictures) and it's easy for me to find what I'm looking for.

Anyone recommend this:

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Nonfictio...193841f37afcb8a

Never even heard of it before...

I found it to be a great read so far, I'm about 2/3 of the way through it, but I haven't read any of it for awhile. My biggest problem is I'm usually in the middle of 10 books at a time, so it takes me forever to finish anything, oh well. Rather than tell you what the book covers (Like I said its been awhile) I'll just give you the chap. titles:

CHAPTER ONE

Remote Antiquity

CHAPTER TWO

The Greek World

CHAPTER THREE

The Roman World

CHAPTER FOUR

The End of Paganism

CHAPTER FIVE

Islam and Inebriation

CHAPTER SIX

Drugs, Lust, and Satan

CHAPTER SEVEN

The Resurgence of Medicine

CHAPTER EIGHT

The Discovery of America

CHAPTER NINE

The End of the Old Regime and the Opium Wars

CHAPTER TEN

The Nineteenth Century

CHAPTER ELEVEN

The Antiliberal Reaction

CHAPTER TWELVE

The Beginnings of the Crusade

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

New Drugs

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

A Pharmacratic Peace

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

The Psychedelic Rebellion

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Return of the Repressed

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

The Era of Substitutes

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Some Aspects of the Problem

Heres some excerpts from the book: http://www.csp.org/chrestomathy/brief_history.html

The books only 161 pages long, but its actually only a light version of Excohotado's enormous three volume 1500 page Historia General de las Drogas :drool2: Unfortunately is only available in Spanish; I'd trade my left nut for it to get translated(maybe Ott?) into English, but I guess I wanted to learn Spanish anyway. Here's more info on it:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...as%2B%26hl%3Den

and here:

http://www.amazon.com/Historia-General-Dro...o/dp/8423997391

Speaking of large books, does anyone know when The Garden of Eden: A Compendium about Psychoactive Fauna and Flora is suppose to come out?

Edited by liftyourskinnyfists

Speaking of large books, does anyone know when The Garden of Eden: A Compendium about Psychoactive Fauna and Flora is suppose to come out?

Thanks for that info LYSF :)

As for the Garden of Eden one - no, never heard of it, but its name certainly sounds like it'll be worth a read! But I spose you cant judge a book by its cover (or name in this case :P)

Last I heard [mind you I was inebriated at the time] it was finished and is in the process of getting edited for publishing. So, not long now I would hope.

are there any australian enthobotanical books in existence? i've been looking for one for ages but i cant find any :scratchhead:

thanks

Hmm - never seen fishpond.com before -seems pretty good :)

i got a copy thru fishpond, an excellent australian company to deal with IMO, book arrived in under a week.

looking at the fishpond site now tho, the encyclopedia of psychoactive plants is now listed at $264.37 ! yet i bought a copy about a month ago and only paid $150.96....

bizarre...

edit:spelling

Edited by Alice

is this the hoffman/shultz book? i had a copy from the uni libaray a while ago, tho prolly stolen by now....wish id thought of that....

hmmmmm

Is that the Chemistry and Botany of Hallucinogens??? That was a Hoffman\Shultz book I'm pretty damned sure - Hoffman at least.

I found that at my uni library amongst a couple of other goodies...

Edited by -=IndigoSunrise=-

i got a copy thru fishpond, an excellent australian company to deal with IMO, book arrived in under a week.

looking at the fishpond site now tho, the encyclopedia of psychoactive plants is now listed at $264.37 ! yet i bought a copy about a month ago and only paid $150.96....

bizarre...

edit:spelling

yeah, I bought a copy 2 weeks ago for 150

where did you guys get it so cheap? fishpond?

where did you guys get it so cheap? fishpond?

yep fishpond. got plants of the gods too, for $38. very happy shopper.

they've got some really good books and most that i've looked at from fishpond were well below the shelf price for normal bookshops like borders. and i do like that they're within australia, would make it much less stressful to buy some of the more *exotic* titles they stock, with out having to worry about customs etc. check em out.