The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Μορφέας

First Cacti In Collection, Tricho, Panchoi!?

Question

I got a few cuttings last night, kindly donated by an aquantance

They look like Trichocereus Panchoi to me

Any second oppinons?

post-2017-1166713414_thumb.jpg

post-2017-1166713423_thumb.jpg

12 answers to this question

they look very scop like (due to the thin ribs and wider valleys in between the ribs). Like a Pachanoi vs Scop hybrid. Otherwise possibly a dehydrated Pachanoi I guess.

Looks like pachanoi to me, but it hasn't had an easy life. I have a 1m+ pach which was grown in a 15cm pot which looks like that, with the narrow ribs. Have put it in the ground so with a bit of luck it'll fatten up nicely.

can you take more pics that are in focus? and also a pic looking down at the tip?

Looks a bit scop like from the top??

i reckon its a pachanoi.

Yeah I'd say pachanoi. You can see a glaucous coating on the cactus which scopulicola do not produce. Scops are usually a darker green too and if they are a lighter green its usually a more 'khaki' ish colour than the virbant blue/lime green seen in the cactus in the last pic.

The one thing that makes it look scop-like to me, is the 5 ribs. Thats rare for pachanoi, but very common for scop. Still, I've had 5 ribbed pachanoi branches before so I see no reason to call it scop based on that alone.

That said, the first 3 pics do make the cacti look more scop like than the last photo of the tip. Maybe there is a mix of scop and pach clones.

Edited by zee_werp

aIEEE confusing it seems..

Thanks for your time guys.

Il send it overseas to my mate and when his finished shotting the soup from it we'll soon know if its pach or not hehe

Edited by tepa

Looks like the common sort of T. pachanoi. The smaller tip is a bit deceiving, but if it is the same as the longer limbs then it is the common T. pachanoi.

~Michael~

Il send it overseas to my mate and when his finished shotting the soup from it we'll soon know if its pach or not hehe

Well make sure you keep a little cutting growing! If your mate says it's potent, then you'll wish you had more! :)

when his finished shotting the soup from it we'll soon know if its pach or not hehe

Oh it's definitley an 'active' trichocereus / San Pedro...It's just a question of getting down to the nitty gritty of it. The effects won't tell you if its pachanoi or not...there are many active Trichocereus species.