The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

MPs rave visit 'grossly irresponsible': Rann

Keep it up folks. Of course it's for publicity. Every time Sandra does this stuff, we should be writing to Mike Rann and telling him what a tool he is.

==================================

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200612/s1809267.htm

The Premier Mike Rann says a weekend visit to a rave party by two South Australian MPs sends the wrong message about drug taking.

Thousands of revellers took to the Wayville Showgrounds at the weekend.

So too, Liberal politician Isobel Redmond and the Democrats leader, Sandra Kanck, with glow stick in hand.

Both MPs say the outing was for research into the illegal drug, ecstasy.

But Mr Rann is unimpressed.

"It's grossly irresponsible," he said.

"I think both of these MPs are more interested in publicity than they are in terms of the care and well-being of young people."

Mr Rann has denounced Ms Redmond's view that ecstasy is less risky than other drugs and Ms Kanck's comments that taking ecstasy is hardly criminal activity.

That is nonsense, according to Mr Rann.

"They should now meet with the parents of kids who died taking ecstasy so they can get a balanced picture rather than a publicity stunt," he said.

Ms Redmond has accused the Premier of being deliberately mischievous.

yes it's ridiculous of Rann. Especially since his nephew and his own son are potheads (I went to school with his nephew and know of people who are friends with his son).

Ministers: Hon MIKE RANN MP, Premier

imageproxy.php?img=&key=ed93ee4b8a158835

Premier

Minister for Economic Development

Minister for Social Inclusion

Minister for the Arts

Minister for Sustainability and Climate Change

Phone

8463 3166

Fax

8463 3168

[email protected]

Postal Address

GPO Box 2343

ADELAIDE SA 5000

Office

15th Floor

State Administration Centre

200 Victoria Square

ADELAIDE SA 5000

"I think both of these MPs are more interested in publicity than they are in terms of the care and well-being of young people."

Pot. Kettle. Black.

bloody rich coming from media mike :wacko:

"They should now meet with the parents of kids who died taking ecstasy so they can get a balanced picture rather than a publicity stunt," he said.

will mike rann now meet with the parents/family of all the suicides that cant bear to live in the shit he and his has created :ana::ana:

will media mike random drug test his staff cos if drug use is soooo prevalent and the number of people using that his government tells us is sooooo accurate then he HAS drug users on his staff and in parliament

answer:NO cos all he cares about is pleasing his high profile buddies

A.L.P.

ALL LYING POLITICIANS

ALTERNATIVE LIBERAL PARTY

ANOTHER LYING PARTY

ALL LIKE PEODOPHILES

ALL LYING PRICKS

yes it's ridiculous of Rann. Especially since his nephew and his own son are potheads (I went to school with his nephew and know of people who are friends with his son).

I won't name her (in case it's inappropriate to do so), but she retired from politics recently (held a federal seat somewhere in the north eastern suburbs) and she vehemently towed Howard's zero-tolerance line, all the while her son was buying pot and speed off an ex-mate of mine.

Is there a pattern emerging here, in regards to zero tolerance? :rolleyes:

I emailed him too. Wonder if we'll get a reply...

"Mr Rann,

As an attendee at the Enchanted rave this year, I feel that your comments regarding MPs visiting these events were grossly unfair. Before you jump to any conclusions, I did NOT consume any recreational drugs at this event and thus feel that I am unbiased on these issues.

I saw both Isobel Redmond and Sandra Kanck at the party and I am sure there presence was not to win votes nor pass on any message that drug use was 'safe'. It was comforting to know that some MPs were interested in seeing how youth celebrate life and possibly consider that current legislation may not be the best way to deal with several issues.

I sincerely hope that you have not lost the ability to have an enjoyable time. You would have enjoyed it at Enchanted (even if only for a short visit and quick hello when it was not so hot). There was not one person at this event that was not enjoying themselves and only a truly grumpy old man would criticize MPs who gave up their time to attend.

Anyway, your "Tough on Drugs" approach is clearly not working. Maybe it's time to stop being so naive and consider other alternatives? Pill testing will save lives. You should personally accept some responsibility for injuries or fatalities due to adultered pills that could not be tested for safety.

I have rapidly diminishing confidence in you're ability to run this State after your words. Many of my peers have also expressed this. You owe these two open minded, friendly and knowledgeable MPs an apology."

I emailed him too. Wonder if we'll get a reply...

"Mr Rann,

As an attendee at the Enchanted rave this year, I feel that your comments regarding MPs visiting these events were grossly unfair. Before you jump to any conclusions, I did NOT consume any recreational drugs at this event and thus feel that I am unbiased on these issues.

I saw both Isobel Redmond and Sandra Kanck at the party and I am sure there presence was not to win votes nor pass on any message that drug use was 'safe'. It was comforting to know that some MPs were interested in seeing how youth celebrate life and possibly consider that current legislation may not be the best way to deal with several issues.

I sincerely hope that you have not lost the ability to have an enjoyable time. You would have enjoyed it at Enchanted (even if only for a short visit and quick hello when it was not so hot). There was not one person at this event that was not enjoying themselves and only a truly grumpy old man would criticize MPs who gave up their time to attend.

Anyway, your "Tough on Drugs" approach is clearly not working. Maybe it's time to stop being so naive and consider other alternatives? Pill testing will save lives. You should personally accept some responsibility for injuries or fatalities due to adultered pills that could not be tested for safety.

I have rapidly diminishing confidence in you're ability to run this State after your words. Many of my peers have also expressed this. You owe these two open minded, friendly and knowledgeable MPs an apology."

Nicely written

I hate Rann and his moral high horse of political corectness, he seems to always want to please the retireee population of southaustralia by getting tough on drugs but i think he's grossly underestimating the stoner population of south australia.. that is the stoner.. goog taking and other illegal naughty stuff-taking population of south australia.

Of course we've just defected into the evil ways of having fun obviously.. funny how humans persist to be evil against our own natures and wanting to harm ourselves? eh? too bad its the legals that kill most but.. wont get into that.

Ah yes one issue that should be raised in a letter, would be that seeing as he likes to play the emotional almost tear-jerker card when bringing up deaths of ecstacy when trying to bash the two dems for.. *gasp* doing some research, he should be enlightened enough to know that injury and harm comes from misinformation and generally bad education, that the zero-tolerance stance is one of Harm induction not minimisation and im sure numerous studies would prove this, at least some european countries are forward thinking on these issues.

So next time he brings up death and the fact every1 looking into the drug is obviously avoding this.. I mean surely if we know about deaths than obviously the Drug is just evil to begin wit and no research as to its Proper Safety and Recreational Use and THERAPEUTICAL use should be done... lets just fear it instead... cuz... I can win votes cuz ppl fear drugs.. errr I mean.. I'm a big moral guy... Fuck i hate Rann!

To be fair I would say if the pollies appearance was made well obvious and it appeared as a publicity stunt, I would Actually assume that IS the case, but Ranns statements were "grossly irresponsible" in discouraging and even forbidding any politician from experiencing "alternative culture"

It is that kind of fear mongering that is so over-bearing and in your face that incites youths to rebel agaisnt the system that's telling them "you Definitley aren't allowed to do this?" Oh but why Mr. Rann, when I have done research to suggest that moderate use with proper caution can be extremely fun/enlightening and not too taxing (much less so than the legals), in fact the only risk I have is of impure product as a result of the black market which you insist on maintaining...

Thanks for killing me and my friends.

How about every member of parliament drop and eckie so that they know what they are talking about?

Nice and balanced, and I hope you will forgive me for bringing this up but it's usually a good idea to not make basic errors when writing 'officially'.

Your error here is the use of "you're" rather than the correct "your".

The simple rule is that "you're" is an abbreviation for "you are". So if you look at your sentence you'll see that "you're ability" which equates to "you are ability" is incorrect.

I know this sort of post can be a bit grating to peope, and I wouldn't raise it for an ordinary forum post; but I think it's worth refreshing this sort of thing for the benefit of everyone writing official letters etc.

Peace.

Thanks for the correction. I appreciate your help :) . Probably should be a little more careful with spelling but I'm one to easily miss stuff when I try and proof read. Not like he's going to read it anyway...

I think he'd expect errors from an 18 year old synaptic self-mutilating "raver" who's just passed through his "education" system...

Since it was an e-mail I used all abreviation possible. It was a personal email to him, not an official communication. Fuck him anyways, ur is the same as Your ain't it. :lol

Nicely written

I hate Rann and his moral high horse of political corectness, he seems to always want to please the retireee population of southaustralia by getting tough on drugs but i think he's grossly underestimating the stoner population of south australia..

as the cannabis capital of Australia if the numbers HIS government supply are correct then 1/4 of his electorate are users and he Must associate with potheads daily

Nice and balanced, and I hope you will forgive me for bringing this up but it's usually a good idea to not make basic errors when writing 'officially'.

Your error here is the use of "you're" rather than the correct "your".

The simple rule is that "you're" is an abbreviation for "you are". So if you look at your sentence you'll see that "you're ability" which equates to "you are ability" is incorrect.

I know this sort of post can be a bit grating to peope, and I wouldn't raise it for an ordinary forum post; but I think it's worth refreshing this sort of thing for the benefit of everyone writing official letters etc.

Peace.

great point it would be like him to use that small mistake to show that only illiterate dopers are complaining, and convince himself more that he's saving us from ourselves

unfortunately i cant complain about this issue personally cos i have fought this prick on knife laws in the past and he knows me so we dont need him to think that there is a well informed knife weilding,drug taking illiterate crank loose on the streets, imagine the knee jerk reaction from that :wink:

but for the rest of you

hound the bastard to the ends of the earth!!!

show no mercy :devil:

p.s

as the democrats compaigned with "keep the barstards honest" when labour was in power and that was not changed/contested then he/labour must not have a problem with the title and identify with it

Edited by MOSES

I use abreviations like U, U R and UR, but make sure I use and spell all complex words correctly and in the correct context, so he can see I'm not an illiterate, dumb ass.

He replied, saying he wanted my home address to write back formally, I told him to stop wasting paper and respond via e-mail with 21st century technology. It's quicker and easier.

he needs your address so he knows what seat you are in and whether it is worth his time to reply properly. complaints from marginal seats get a lot more time.

also, it is easy to send dozens of emails from the same person and create an illusion of a 'mass of dissatisfaction'. This is a method used by conservatives too. By providing your home address he can ascertain that your email is from a unique individual.

Politicians use a system of values based on the form of communication that you send them - a phone call or handwritten letter is the most valuable, since it indicates considerable effort, a typed letter next, and an email or petition signature last. They use these values to calculate how many people actually care about something. For example (and I'm making this up) if one person bothers to send in a handwritten letter, they infer that there are another 10 who care about the issue but don't bother.

Email is great for quick reminders but if you really care about something, send a letter, preferably hand written - it doesn't have to be long - and at the very least go to the very small effort of using non abreviated words.

Just as an example of how these things can go, recently my partner sent an email to most members of WA parliament (both houses) informing them of her disappointment in our state gov's decision to appeal the recent native title decision and her reasons. She received replies from about half the people she sent it to, many responding directly to the points she had made proving that these people had actually read and thought about her letter.