The Corroboree
nabraxas

so you're a high IQ dope smoker? try these tests

1. You are given two ropes and a lighter. This is the only equipment you can use. You are told that each of the two ropes has the following property: if you light one end of the rope, it will take exactly one hour to burn all the way to the other end. But it doesn't have to burn at a uniform rate. In other words, half the rope may burn in the first five minutes, and then the other half would take 55 minutes. The rate at which the two ropes burn is not necessarily the same, so the second rope will also take an hour to burn from one end to the other, but may do it at some varying rate, which is not necessarily the same as the one for the first rope. Now you are asked to measure a period of 45 minutes. How will you do it?

2. You have 50 quarters on the table in front of you. You are blindfolded and cannot discern whether a coin is heads up or tails up by feeling it. You are told that x coins are heads up, where 0 < x < 50. You are asked to separate the coins into two piles in such a way that the number of heads up coins in both piles is the same at the end. You may flip any coin over as many times as you like. How will you do it?

3. A farmer is returning from town with a dog, a chicken and some corn. He arrives at a river that he must cross, but all that is available to him is a small raft large enough to hold him and one of his three possessions. He may not leave the dog alone with the chicken, for the dog will eat it. Furthermore, he may not leave the chicken alone with the corn, for the chicken will eat it. How can he bring everything across the river safely?

4. You have four chains. Each chain has three links in it. Although it is difficult to cut the links, you wish to make a loop with all 12 links. What is the fewest number of cuts you must make to accomplish this task?

5. Walking down the street one day, I met a woman strolling with her daughter. “What a lovely child,” I remarked. “In fact, I have two children,” she replied. What is the probability that both of her children are girls? Be warned: this question is not as trivial as it may look.

6. Before you lie three closed boxes. They are labeled “Blue Jellybeans”, “Red Jellybeans” and “Blue & Red Jellybeans.” In fact, all the boxes are filled with jellybeans. One with just blue, one with just red and one with both blue and red. However, all the boxes are incorrectly labeled. You may reach into one box and pull out only one jellybean. Which box should you select from to correctly label the boxes?

7. A glass of water with a single ice cube sits on a table. When the ice has completely melted, will the level of the water have increased, decreased or remain unchanged?

8. You are given eight coins and told that one of them is counterfeit. The counterfeit one is slightly heavier than the other seven. Otherwise, the coins look identical. Using a simple balance scale, can you determine which coin is counterfeit using the scale only twice?

9. There are two gallon containers. One is filled with water and the other is filled with wine. Three ounces of the wine are poured into the water container. Then, three ounces from the water container are poured into the wine. Now that each container has a gallon of liquid, which is greater: the amount of water in the wine container or the amount of wine in the water container?

10. Late one evening, four hikers find themselves at a rope bridge spanning a wide river. The bridge is not very secure and can hold only two people at a time. Since it is quite dark, a flashlight is needed to cross the bridge and only one hiker had brought his. One of the hikers can cross the bridge in one minute, another in two minutes, another in five minutes and the fourth in ten minutes. When two people cross, they can only walk as fast as the slower of the two hikers. How can they all cross the bridge in 17 minutes? No, they cannot throw the flashlight across the river.

11. Other than the North Pole, where on this planet is it possible to walk one mile due south, one mile due east and one mile due north and end up exactly where you began?

12. I was visiting a friend one evening and remembered that he had three daughters. I asked him how old they were. “The product of their ages is 72,” he answered. Quizzically, I asked, “Is there anything else you can tell me?” “Yes,” he replied, “the sum of their ages is equal to the number of my house.” I stepped outside to see what the house number was. Upon returning inside, I said to my host, “I’m sorry, but I still can’t figure out their ages.” He responded apologetically, ‘I’m sorry. I forgot to mention that my oldest daughter likes strawberry shortcake.” With this information, I was able to determine all of their ages. How old is each daughter? I assure you that there is enough information to solve the puzzle.

13. The surface of a distant planet is covered with water except for one small island on the planet’s equator. On this island is an airport with a fleet of identical planes. One pilot has a mission to fly around the planet along its equator and return to the island. The problem is that each plane only has enough fuel to fly a plane half way around the planet. Fortunately, each plane can be refueled by any other plane midair. Assuming that refuelings can happen instantaneously and all the planes fly at the same speed, what is the fewest number of planes needed for this mission?

14. You find yourself in a room with three light switches. In a room upstairs stands a single lamp with a single light bulb on a table. One of the switches controls that lamp, whereas the other two switches do nothing at all. It is your task to determine which of the three switches controls the light upstairs. The catch: once you go upstairs to the room with the lamp, you may not return to the room with the switches. There is no way to see if the lamp is lit without entering the room upstairs. How do you do it?

15. There are two gallon containers. One is filled with water and the other is filled with wine. Three ounces of the wine are poured into the water container. Then, three ounces from the water container are poured into the wine. Now that each container has a gallon of liquid, which is greater: the amount of water in the wine container or the amount of wine in the water container?

these were all taken from

http://3quarksdaily.blogs.com/3quarksdaily...llenge_you.html

& you can find the answers there to.

i recon you could be stoned as & still do well on an IQ test (i have), but trying to solve these kind ov logic puzzles w/fuzzy membraines sucks....

Edited by nabraxas

2. You have 50 quarters on the table in front of you.

12.5 Ounces!

What do I win? :lol:

:bong:

edit: yeah, they require some very lateral thought, don't they? Tricky business.

I have smoked myself retarded. Nabraxas just helped me confirm that. :wink:

Edited by Benzito

1. You are given two ropes and a lighter. This is the only equipment you can use. You are told that each of the two ropes has the following property: if you light one end of the rope, it will take exactly one hour to burn all the way to the other end. But it doesn't have to burn at a uniform rate. In other words, half the rope may burn in the first five minutes, and then the other half would take 55 minutes. The rate at which the two ropes burn is not necessarily the same, so the second rope will also take an hour to burn from one end to the other, but may do it at some varying rate, which is not necessarily the same as the one for the first rope. Now you are asked to measure a period of 45 minutes. How will you do it?

With the first rope you burn it at both ends. The rope will burn in half an hour since at that point each side would have gotten through 30 mins worth of rope.

That's 30 mins measured.

You then immediately burn the second rope at both ends.

When you have half the amount of unburnt rope left regardless of how far each side has gotten you will have 15 minutes elapse.

That's your 45 minutes.

I thought about that for about 3 minutes :)

I know the answers to many of the others but found this one most interesting since I hadn't heard it before. I'll post up some of the other answers later.

Nice question. Thanks for the stimulation :)

take one rope and burn at both ends (maybe put it in a circle? yeah stoners like fire circles! :lol:) - that's 30mins

start burning one end of the other rope at the same time (maybe this one is in a squiggly pattern outside the circle?), then at the moment the circle rope burns out, light the unlit end of the squiggly rope. remaining burn time should be 15mins

ok, that took me a while, maybe i need another :bong: before number 2!

edit: lol beat me to it sobriquet, slightly different. i can get the answer, but ever so slowly! :blush:

Edited by ajna

3. A farmer is returning from town with a dog, a chicken and some corn. He arrives at a river that he must cross, but all that is available to him is a small raft large enough to hold him and one of his three possessions. He may not leave the dog alone with the chicken, for the dog will eat it. Furthermore, he may not leave the chicken alone with the corn, for the chicken will eat it. How can he bring everything across the river safely?

Farmer takes the chicken across first.

Then he takes the dog but brings the chicken back and picks up the grain.

He takes the grain across and then returns for the chicken and completes the crossing.

take X amount of coins away from the pile and flip them all over. this forms two piles, and they should have equal amounts of heads up coins.

ok i admit i tested this one with 5 coins ;)

4. You have four chains. Each chain has three links in it. Although it is difficult to cut the links, you wish to make a loop with all 12 links. What is the fewest number of cuts you must make to accomplish this task?

Two.

You cut one chains links open at each end. Put all the other three ends into one end of it and close.

Then you take the other cut end and join it to one of the other ends of the chain.

You've got a loop as specified, and all 12 links are used. I don't think the task said it must be a single chain. The one I describe has a loop with 6 links and two others of three hanging off the side :)

Or if you're smart you can put the end of three of the chains into the cutter and make a single cut through all three and then join them up for a 12 link loop.

take X amount of coins away from the pile and flip them all over. this forms two piles, and they should have equal amounts of heads up coins.

ok i admit i tested this one with 5 coins ;)

Very good. I misunderstood the question here and thought the number heads up was random between 1 and 49 and that there had to be equal piles at the end so made it more complex for myself.

Excellent :)

7. A glass of water with a single ice cube sits on a table. When the ice has completely melted, will the level of the water have increased, decreased or remain unchanged?

Decreased.

Water expands as ice and therefore displaces more volume when solid.

These questions are stupid. Someone with a high IQ pulls them to pieces and several of the provided answers are wrong

12. I was visiting a friend one evening and remembered that he had three daughters. I asked him how old they were. “The product of their ages is 72,” he answered. Quizzically, I asked, “Is there anything else you can tell me?” “Yes,” he replied, “the sum of their ages is equal to the number of my house.” I stepped outside to see what the house number was. Upon returning inside, I said to my host, “I’m sorry, but I still can’t figure out their ages.” He responded apologetically, ‘I’m sorry. I forgot to mention that my oldest daughter likes strawberry shortcake.” With this information, I was able to determine all of their ages. How old is each daughter? I assure you that there is enough information to solve the puzzle.

Prime factors of 72 are:

2 x 2 x 2 x 3 x 3

Now these 5 numbers need to be grouped into 3. Ie. the possibilities are:

2, 3, 12

3, 4, 6

2, 4, 9

If twins are allowed:

2, 2, 18

3, 3, 8

2, 6, 6

The final possibilty can be ruled out since there is an oldest.

By strawberry shortcake I'm assuming it means:

http://www.strawberryshortcake.com/

and in that case it would seem that 3, 4, and 6 is the correct answer.

What's the house number? That would help most.

Walking down the street one day, I met a woman strolling with her daughter. “What a lovely child,” I remarked. “In fact, I have two children,” she replied. What is the probability that both of her children are girls? Be warned: this question is not as trivial as it may look.

boy/girl and girl/girl thus 1/2

on there answers they list girl/boy as a differnt possibilty but its the same as we do not take into account age.

What is the relevance of strawberryshort cake?

Hehe, strawberry shortcake

A high IQ dope smoker would know that this test only takes up valuable dope smoking time!

You then immediately burn the second rope at both ends.

When you have half the amount of unburnt rope left regardless of how far each side has gotten you will have 15 minutes elapse.

How so? It says they do not burn uniformly.

at the moment the circle rope burns out, light the unlit end of the squiggly rope. remaining burn time should be 15mins

This would work

i recon you could be stoned as & still do well on an IQ test (i have), but trying to solve these kind ov logic puzzles w/fuzzy membraines sucks....

I find when I am stoned, all my mental power goes out the window. Partly because I lose my train of thought and find it hard to think a complex problem through from beginning to end. Also, in maths for example, I forget things I know really well, like trying to figure out if the derivative of sin is cos or -cos. A lot of psychedelics, however, are worse in this sense, but it's more of a conceptual thing. I've been in mental states where I don't even know what maths is. And some drugs, like dxm, I have trouble understanding how to play a simple video game (something that is easy while stoned), and at higher doses I don't even know my own name.

... :scratchhead: well -having obviously been abducted by some evil corporation, no doubt out to use the powers of my mind for no good, I jump the flunky conducting the interrogation :slap: - bind their hands and feet and pocket the lighter and remove their socks. One of which is utilized as a gag. Then I find his mobile phone and set the alarm for 45 minutes and explain that they should answer thier own questions hencefourth.

Proceeding to the table with the coins I fill the other sock. Now im armed and feeling a little better about this abduction. :wink:

The now bound and sockless questioner has the gag removed long enough to explain about the boxes of jellybeans. Utilizing the lighter on the interrogators toes soon provides them with the startling revelation that all the beans are infact red (even the blue ones) and that I can have as many as I like. :devil:

I drink the glass if ice water, grab a pocket full of beans and the jug of wine, essentials now taken care of its time to make my daring escape - so after briefly lecturing the wouldbe inquisitor on the evils of making poor innocent potheads do math - I let fly with the sock full of quaters, rendering them unconscious. My escape should then proceed smoothly.... B)

their answer for #7= Unchanged. The floating cube displaces its own weight in water.

My first thought after examining that fucking rope question was to make a noose & then hunt down a geek, but FragmentedSanity is obviously a much more creative thinker - thanks for the giggles, FS.

and in that case it would seem that 3, 4, and 6 is the correct answer.

What's the house number? That would help most.

The house number is only mentioned to point out the guy COULDN'T answer the question with only that info - which means that the answer is one of 2 or more sets of numbers (i.e. sets of 3 factors of 72), that add up to the same number. The only 2 sets where this is the case are 3,3,8 and 2,6,6, which both add up to 14. As the shortcake it implies he has a single eldest kid, 2,6,6 is ruled out. So the answer is 3,3,8. Apparently all the other sets have a unique sum.

And water does have more volume as a solid, but as it's bouyant only displaces its WEIGHT in water, i.e. 1 ml/g - the remaining ice sticks out the top. Which means it stays the same.

I had issues with a few of their "correct answers" - it seems this really is like an IQ test - there are multiple ways to solve many of the questions, but only one is marked right.

Q9. “If you ignore the issue that wine is naturally composed partly of water (which was mentioned earlier in the comments thread), then the amount of wine in the water container and the amount of water in the wine container must be equal, since however much wine is in the water container at the end, that much must be missing from the wine container, and the missing wine must be made up for exactly by the amount of water in that container (since each contains 1 gallon of fluid at the end).”

But the question isn’t “do they both have 1 gallon at the end?” the question is “which is greater: the amount of water in the wine container or the amount of wine in the water container?”. As the wine is added to the water container first, the 3oz of wine is pure wine, whereas the 3oz of water is taken from a mixture of wine & water, & therefore will contain a (very small) amount of wine. And so there is more wine in the water than there is water in the wine.

Q13. I had an alternative answer to this question: P1 & P2 start flying clockwise. At the ¼ mark, P2 gives P1 his remaining ½ tank of fuel – enough to get P1 to the ½-way mark, then dives to his death. At this point, P3 leaves base, flying counter-clockwise, to meet P1 at the ¾ mark & give up his remaining fuel before also plummeting to his death.

Hey, it never said you couldn’t write off a few planes.

heh, i've actually heard that the melting of floating ice does not change the water level. precise changes would depend on temperatures but remember ice does not displace it's entire volume, only about 90% of it (some ice is above water level).

this doesnt apply to melting ice caps because that is fresh ice floating on salt water. if the arctic melts, the sea level WILL rise.

plus, i may be completely wrong anyway.

i'm pretty sure i'm right though. form 10 mL's of water into an ice cube and place in water. though bigger than 10cc's, the cube only displaces 10mLs of water in order to float... further ice volume is above water level. assuming this happens in a large vessel and surface tension and stuff hasn't come into play, then the water level absolutely remains the same.

edit: two people already posted this. consider it overstated!

Edited by ThunderIdeal

this doesnt apply to melting ice caps because that is fresh ice floating on salt water. if the arctic melts, the sea level WILL rise.

Actually I think it's mostly because it's ice sitting on land. So it doesn't displace any ocean water now, but if it melts it'll flow down into the ocean, raising sea levels. Obviously temp & salinity would be factors too, but I thought this was the main one.

nah. you're right about land ice being the major influence (and hard to predict!), but the sea level increases when floating ice melts.

... but the glass of fresh water doesn't.

i've seen an experiment on this.

A high IQ dope smoker would know that this test only takes up valuable dope smoking time!

hahhhahahaha... that's the best answer!

B)

x peace

Edited by husk