The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DocAzz

Building a Library

As much as I lenjoy having the information "on tap" with the internet, there isn't much I love more than reading a good book.

With that said, what books do you guys recommend I could buy in the ethnobotany field (or other related fields) to add to my library?

Guest onemind

Hi Azz, you have probably already read it but the book, DMT - The spirit molecule was a good read and brought me here. Haven't read much else on entheogens but would like to build a library myself.

Am just starting the book - The Scientist - A Metaphysical Autobiography by C. Lily

Would be interested to hear others replies.

Amazon is the place to look IMO!

Local strores may have specialty stock, but for comprehensive range and MUCH, MUCH cheaper prices go with Amazon.

type "Ethnobotany", "Entheogens", "psychedelics" or some such related phrase into the search engine and begin drooling.

I have enjoyed Metzner's editations, Sacred Vine of Spirits and Sacred Mushroom of Visions, Teonanacatl.

Wade Davis is great for travel/adventure/botanical surveys and One River and The Serpent and the Rainbow are great examples of his work.

If you want the bible try Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants by Ratsch, it's about half the price of what you will pay at Polyster even with shipping.

Ohhhh, ohhh and Mati Klarwein, Robert Venosa, Robert Beer and Alex Grey if Artistic Expression is your thing.

I am sure onemind will agree! :bootyshake:

Guest onemind

lol, much more intrested in exploring from a scientific angle if possible. Dont really think there is anything cool about using drugs to escape your problems or encouraging others to do so.

You really are a sensitive one Tripi :P

Edited by onemind

if you go to the books section on this site you will find a whole section of books available from amazon.com. I've selected these for their quality content and suitability for the various headings.

stuff

Edited by spudamore

Don't forget to go to 2nd hand book stores you may be surprised at what you find!

...and it can become an addiction :wink:

Very true!

I picked up this gem for $30 and it retails for upto $300 on O/s sites.

33309.jpg

And more recently a first edition copy of Ott's Pharmacotheon. :lol:

Don't forget to go to 2nd hand book stores you may be surprised at what you find!

That is so true.... I love wandering thru 2nd hand book stores. I can spend hours in them!! You never buy what you were looking for, but you always enjoy whatever you have found.

stuff

Edited by spudamore

I was just about to say we should set up a ftp. Ive gotten a small amount of scientific articles on our favourite plants plus ebooks from various places. Instead of keeping the info tomyself I think it better that it can be expanded. There are lots of articles I dont have access too so a general pool of articles could be usefull. Obviously main problem is how to name and sort them. My naming system is their title, cant go wrong with that i figure, and my classing system is by the plant genus and species, just genus if the species are all of general intrest, and last of all there are some under compound names because for some the plants themselves arnt used but the compounds are of intrest. Also have sections on various chemistries and a medicinal plants bit and anthropology bit. Anyway i dont know how these things work so feel free to tell me it wont work lol

Yes agreed but it can really become a nightmare too.

I once bought a rare French declensions manual from a large Sydney 2nd hand bookshop. I put the book in the languages section of my bookshelf and it was several months before I really got back into it.

I was horrified to find that books I had bought new had small insects within their pages. Alarmed I checked other books and found that the 2nd hand book I'd bought had introduced a kind of cellulose lice into my collection!

I quarantined the section immediately and took other measures including putting books in zip-lock bags and putting them in the freezer for weeks with a small cotton ball sprayed with insecticide.

In the end I abandoned the effort and simply took all the books into a 2nd hand bookshop myself.

Have avoided buying 2nd hand again even though I've been tempted... once bitten...

abebooks is good for local second hand books. it's competitive too.

for imports nothing beats amazon because customs NEVER opens amazon boxes :excl:

Phantastica

Plants of the Gods

Pharmacotheon

And more recently a first edition copy of Ott's Pharmacotheon. :lol:

I've been trying to get that book for ages, i read somewhere they've stopped printing it too..

stuff

Edited by spudamore