The Corroboree
Dirty Old Man

Need advice on weird phone calls I have been receiving.

Hey everyone.

Last night I received a strange phone call at 3:30 am that kind of freaked me out.

The person said hi to me by my name and asked if I was able to catch up. It totally sounded as if they wanted to score drugs or something, which is pretty weird considering I am not a drug dealer and never have been.

They identified themselves as Glen and said Michael Gonzalez had given them number. When I said they probably have the wrong number they hung up.

The really weird thing is this Glen person made a very similar phone call to me about 3 months ago wanting to "catch up" and that they were just around the corner. That time my curiosity got the better of me and I asked where they got my number and where they were located and they said they got a number of someon or other and they were in South Yarra (clearly not around the corner as I am in Brisbane).

Have any of you guys experienced anything similar? I might be paranoid, but it feels like someone is checking up on me or trying to set me up. Any advice?

Spooky..

Sounds like it may just be a coincidence mate, like maybe there is a dealer named DirtyOldMan in Melb with a mobile number that’s the same as yours, only off by one digit. So they have been accidentally dialing yours instead?

I had this happen to me a fair bit with one of my old mobile numbers... people ringing me looking for this other guy that had a number that was similar to mine.

After many of these calls I found out that he had the same number except the last digit in the mobile prefix which was one higher or something.

In the same vein, a friend used to receive heaps of calls from Johns looking to make a date, turns out the number of the prepaid mobile she got used belong to a hooker but was reassigned to her.. LOL

You could always get them traced? or record them if you hve the function on your phone and save it for 'ron.

Occams razor suggests that its simply a wrong number.

The police do not bother to set you up like this unless you are doing something really, really naughty.

I would call the number.

Say, I got a call from this number at 3:30am, who is this, don't ask how they got the number, ask which number they were trying to call!

If it keeps happening just ring THEM at 3:30am and play "Msg to Harry Manback" to them

I got a crank call one time.

He said [i'm fucking your wife]..I said thanks for the recommendation.

I not married.

There are reports of crank calls which seem to be a bit other worldly. I read about this in The Fortean Times.

A person, usually a child calls up almost usually in some sort of mild distress but when the person on the other end tries to get some useful information to help the individual, none is given. No names, locations numbers or in fact what the nature of the distress actually is and the distressed person hangs up. Apparently this happens enough for it to be noticed.

Other than the completely rational, explanations such as disembodied souls, ghosts or manifestation of a thought forms were discussed.

I cant say I have ever had a crank call, though I have seen and heard the odd ghost.

The dead have been using the telephone system for years, its quite evident when you try to call telstra.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have kind of come up with a solution. I have saved the number under "dodgy" and assigned it to its own group in my phonebook with no ring tone. At least this way I will never be woken up in the middle of the night.

My mate had sum1 wake him up at 3:30 am once. He was ropable and was waiting for an appropriate time to wake them up and give them a mouthfull of abuse. Well, later that day, bout lunch time, the guy calls again and appologizes for the wrong number at 3:30am. Wat a good guy! Sure made my mate feel a bit small. lol

ANd as far as wierd phone shit goes. I have had multiple times now. The phone rings my end, so I pick it up, only to hear a ringing tone on the other end. Then sum1 else on that end also picks up as if I called them. This happened once and the local hospital was on the other end. They didn't believe that it was a telstra fuck up and thought I needed help. Happens most just as i hang up my end from another call.

SRY to hijack, just another wierd phone story.

Edited by naja naja

and they were in South Yarra (clearly not around the corner as I am in Brisbane).

All ya have to do is agree to meet him "just around the corner" in 5 minutes, turn ya phone off and go back to sleep.

The mystery caller will then no doubt go and wait for you, when you dont turn up and your phone is off they might get the picture :lol:

Happens most just as i hang up my end from another call.

This occurs when you have been using call waiting. When you answer a call on your second line, then transfer back to your first without hanging up, that line is left 'open'. Then when you hang up the first, your phone still has an open line which causes it to ring. You can avoid it by hanging up when switching back to your first call - your second line will close, and your phone will ring, you pick it up and you're talking to the first person again. Make sense?

http://www.101insults.com/

Might try these, I sure theres better for a midnight caller.

------------------------------------------------------------

Yo Momma Jokes

* Yo mommas so dumb she stopped at a stop sign and waited for it to say go!

* Yo mama so dumb she stared at da orange juice bottle cause it said concentrate

* Your momma is so fat that when she stepped on the scale it said one at a time please.

* Yo mammas so fat you could slap her legs and ride the waves

* Yo mama so dumb she sold her car for gas money

* Yo Mama's so fat, she got baptized at Sea World.

* You're mom's so stupid, she got locked up in a super market and starved

* Yo Momma is so fat she walked out in high heels and came back in flip flops.

* Yo' Momma's So Fat When her beeper goes off, people think she's backing up.

* Yo mama's so fat when she ordered a water bed they layed a blanket on the Pacific Ocean

* Yo mamma's like a shotgun, one cock and she blows.

* Yo mama so dumb that when I said "christmas is just around the corner" she went looking for it!

* Yo Mamma's so fat it takes two busses and a train to get on her good side.

* Your mom is so stupid, I said it's chilly outside, your mom ran outside wit a bowl and a spoon and asked where??

* Yo Momma so fat she stepped on da scale and and it said to be continued...

* Yo Mama's so poor, when I was asking why she was banging on the dumpster she said, "My kids locked me out."

* Yo Momma so dumb when she saw a bus with white people in it she said, "Go catch that twinky."

* Yo mommas so fat, she has to use a matress for a tampon.

* Yo mamma's so stupid, she jumped off a boat and missed the water.

* Yo mama's so fat, when she stepped on the dog's tail we had to change his name to Beaver.

* Yo momma's so fat that when she goes outside in her yellow jacket people say "Look it's the magic school bus!!!"

* Yo Mamma so fat that when the school bus drives by she yells STOP THAT TWINKIE!

* Yo Mama so fat she went into a zoo and a zookeeper said, "Oh boy...another elephant got out!"

* Yo mamma so stupid, it took her two hours to watch 60 minutes

* Yo mamma is like a brick, flat on both sides and gets laid by mexicans!

I wouldn't worry about it.

I had a mobile number overseas that had a double numbers that meant I got many many weird calls.

Here's an example:

If your number is: 0419 888 551

The person wants to dial: 0419 88 55 12

But while dialing the double 8 actually hits it a third time. That call will come through to you.

You can see how this happens for other doubles, triples etc. also.

something similar sort of happened to me - but i ended up working ut how the guy got my details - but why cant these people just call at normal times...???

Our home number is very similar to one of the police stations in the area, so we get some pretty freaky calls on a regular basis. Now we just let it go to answering machine.

Our homenumber is also pretty close to some guys home number who lives in the same town as that police station I mentioned above. For about 2 years he rang almost every friday night at about midnight, pissed as a newt, apologising to his wife with very slurred speech and lewd language and would not comprehend that he was actually not talking to his wife. After months and months of this I finally managed to get out of him which number he wanted to dial, so I rang his wife and told her about the whole thing. That was the last call we got from him :P

Ahh yes, the yellow pages also misprinted the local mower shop's phone number and put our in there instead. So for 3 years we have been getting constant requests for mower repairs.

Added to this the constant Dell faxes, Indian call center canvassers, and bible bashers looking for the previous tenant (who was a pastor), and the answering machine became a neccessity.

The best thing to do in these cases is not to get paranoid.

This occurs when you have been using call waiting. When you answer a call on your second line, then transfer back to your first without hanging up, that line is left 'open'. Then when you hang up the first, your phone still has an open line which causes it to ring. You can avoid it by hanging up when switching back to your first call - your second line will close, and your phone will ring, you pick it up and you're talking to the first person again. Make sense?

I don't ever use call waiting, so can't see that as being the problem. The weird thing is how it randomly connects me to sum1 elses phone

Sounds like it may just be a coincidence mate, like maybe there is a dealer named DirtyOldMan in Melb with a mobile number that’s the same as yours, only off by one digit. So they have been accidentally dialing yours instead?

lol, back when i was a too-cool-for-school lunch time bong-head we tried to ring a dealer, the phone picked up,

"hey, is that phil?"

"yep, what up?"

"can we meet up"

"huh?"

"can we meet up... y'know..."

"umm..."

"This is phil isn't it?"

"yeah..."

"look, we're in kaleen, trying to get on..."

"Kaleen? isn't that like a suburb in canberra? are you trying to buy drugs? get the fuck of my phone you fucking pothead."

beep beep beeeeeeeeeep.

So, yeah, it does happen. :)

M.

All ya have to do is agree to meet him "just around the corner" in 5 minutes, turn ya phone off and go back to sleep.

The mystery caller will then no doubt go and wait for you, when you dont turn up and your phone is off they might get the picture :lol:

ROFL!

I think i may have done this to people before... back in laburnum =D

"Kaleen? isn't that like a suburb in canberra? are you trying to buy drugs? get the fuck of my phone you fucking pothead."

If it wasn't the right Phil, how did he know you were after pot and not something else?

Sounds like you got stooged :lol: