The Corroboree
Coschi

Acacia Obtusifolia, where in Vic?

I'm wondering where in Victoria this acacia species can be found? Eastern Vic is all i know so far!

I'd also like some photos of mature obtusifolias to help with ID :)

Cheers

I'm wondering where in Victoria this acacia species can be found? Eastern Vic is all i know so far!

I'd also like some photos of mature obtusifolias to help with ID :)

Cheers

obtusifolia is not a common acacia in victoria, there may be some small populations around but it is not something you will likely find just walking around the bush

i think you are getting mixed up with maidenii which is reported to grow in eastern victoria.

there is a feral patch in east gippsland I believe.

I don't have any specific location details.

obtusifolia is not a common acacia in victoria, there may be some small populations around but it is not something you will likely find just walking around the bush

i think you are getting mixed up with maidenii which is reported to grow in eastern victoria.

Yeah i'm aware of the maidenii, i've found a few in melbourne but the pick of the crop is apparently obtusifolia..

Quote from Wattle Web Acacia Obtusifolia

"Distribution: coast and tablelands of New South Wales and extending into the central western slopes and to north-east Victoria; also south-east Queensland. Usually in Eucalyptus forests and woodlands and often in dry situations but may also occur in damp areas."

I've been looking at nurseries for this and other acacia species and I must say that even in a so-called native plants nursery there were stuff-all acacias amongst the selections. I was surprised at this.

I've found some of what I believe to be obtusifolia along the Bruce Highway.

What does one do with these plants anyhow? Are the leaves or bark prepared and smoked?

I was horrified to read of another species needing to be killed to produce material for one smoke. Seems awfully wasteful and not something I would do. Phalaris seems to be a better option for DMT except that the gramamine with that turns me off it too.

How much does one need?

What does one do with these plants anyhow? Are the leaves or bark prepared and smoked?

In most cases an acid base extraction is used.

I was horrified to read of another species needing to be killed to produce material for one smoke. Seems awfully wasteful and not something I would do. Phalaris seems to be a better option for DMT except that the gramamine with that turns me off it too.

Everyone probably has a different opinion on killing trees. To me it depends on the species and the size of the populations. There are some species in some locations where killing a tree is sustainable. There are others where it isn't. It may also be often possible to find recently windblown/tractor downed trees which can be utilised guilt-free.

The other side of the story is that there is the possibility that taking small amounts of bark from many trees could expose them all to pathogen infection and be overall more destructive than killing one.

As for Phalaris, most people who have utilised Acacia would say that it's a waste of time. I haven't tried it myself.

I've been looking at nurseries for this and other acacia species and I must say that even in a so-called native plants nursery there were stuff-all acacias amongst the selections. I was surprised at this.

I've found some of what I believe to be obtusifolia along the Bruce Highway.

How much does one need?

Sorry, but it is very unlikely what you found along the Bruce Hwy is Obtusifolia.

The habitat and soil anywhere along the Bruce Hwy is all wrong.

One can theoretically obtain DMT of high purity from obtusifolia bark by performing an A/B extraction and recrystalising.

1- hit: www.chah.gov.au/avh

2- choose a node that then presents you with the option "data access" bellow the "map" option, if not there go back unless you dont want ot export raw records to file ;)

3- enter search, utilising wildcards * and % if desired...

4- if you chose data access, choose "Display using AVH Mapper" for map or another option for the raw data

5- submit query

:wink:

note- mostly early collection records and youll get varying results depending on which node you choose with i recall best overall being melbourne...

post-1273-1157671096_thumb.jpg

1- hit: www.chah.gov.au/avh

2- choose a node that then presents you with the option "data access" bellow the "map" option, if not there go back unless you dont want ot export raw records to file ;)

3- enter search, utilising wildcards * and % if desired...

4- if you chose data access, choose "Display using AVH Mapper" for map or another option for the raw data

5- submit query

:wink:

note- mostly early collection records and youll get varying results depending on which node you choose with i recall best overall being melbourne...

Try erythorxylum ccoa and surprisingly it comes up with a record in Tasmania of all places.

Many hits for cananbis satvia also.

I just need a GPS unit now to go and find em. ;)

Try erythorxylum ccoa and surprisingly it comes up with a record in Tasmania of all places.

topographical maps can be handy if not mroe usefull than gps becuse you can see what tracks and ways there are about, also a compass as gps often dont get signal under trees...

the coordinates are only given to accuracy of what i can decipher as a 2km radius and some i think may be mistakes or very old...

I have a book on the native plants near my region which contains sketches and botanical details for I.Ding - would you like me to scan a copy of the page with A. obtus??? Contains phyllode measurements etc...

This might help a bit,

Acacia obtusifolia A.Cunn. in B.Field, Geographical Memoirs on New South Wales 345 (1825)

Erect or spreading shrub or tree, 0.5–15 m high. Stipules triangular, less than 0.5 mm long or obscure. Phyllodes linear to narrowly elliptic, 12–25 cm long, 7–23 mm wide, the margins uneven and edged with microscopic granular resin globules, with obtuse apex, coriaceous, dark green, the primary veins prominent, commonly 2–5, the secondary veins parallel, sparingly anastomosing; gland c. 8 mm above base; pulvinus present. Inflorescences with peduncles 5–10 mm long; spikes 3–7 cm long; bracteoles ovate-navicular, c. 0.5 mm long, minutely fringed. Flowers 4-merous, loosely packed, creamy white to pale yellow; sepals united. Pods subcylindrical, linear, mostly straight, 5–15 cm long, 3.5–7 mm wide, crustaceous. Seeds narrowly elliptic, 4.5–6 mm long, shiny; funicle thin, folded c. 4–5 times; aril turbinate.

Widespread in forests and woodlands along the coastal and near-coastal ranges of far south-eastern Qld and north-eastern N.S.W., the central tablelands E of the Great Dividing Ra., central and southern coasts of N.S.W. and far eastern Vic. It often occurs near the margins of rainforests. Usually flowers Nov.–Jan. but fruits irregularly.

Easily distinguished from A. longifolia by the resinous margins of its thicker, less pliable phyllodes. It fruits very rarely and appears to propagate principally by suckering.

Heya Telemetric, nice to see you in here again!

How are things going?? :)

I have a book on the native plants near my region which contains sketches and botanical details for I.Ding - would you like me to scan a copy of the page with A. obtus??? Contains phyllode measurements etc...

That would be great :) would there be a page on Maidenii also?

Cheers

Thanks!! Very much appreciated :lol:

Just to be a pain (sorry should have asked before didn't think about it).. any chance you'd be able to get a. longifolia and a. implexa??

Thanks again

Acacia implexa Benth., London J. Bot. 1: 368 (1842)

Lightwood, Hickory Wattle, Screw-pod Wattle, Bastard Myall, Lignum Vitae, Fish Wattle, Broad-leaf Wattle

Tree 3–15 m high, often gregarious due to suckering; bipinnate leaves may persist on young plants. Bark rough, greyish. Branchlets terete, not prominently ribbed, commonly lightly pruinose, glabrous. Phyllodes narrowly elliptic, falcate, 7–20 cm long, 6–25 mm wide, much-narrowed at base, acute to acuminate, sometimes ±obtuse, thinly coriaceous, green, glabrous, with 3–7 main nerves and numerous longitudinally anastomosing minor nerves inbetween. Inflorescences 4–8-headed racemes; raceme axes 10–45 mm long, glabrous; peduncles 6–15 mm long; heads globular, 5–6 mm diam., 30–52-flowered, cream to pale yellow. Flowers 5-merous; sepals 3/4-united. Pods linear, coiled and twisted, to 25 cm long, 4–7 mm wide, ±woody or thick-coriaceous, glabrous. Seeds longitudinal, oblong-oval, 4–5 mm long, subglossy, dark brown; funicle/aril fleshy, white, folded beneath the seed.

Widespread and sometimes common, occurring in Qld on the Atherton Tableland and then from Shoalwater Bay S along the coast and tablelands through eastern N.S.W. and Vic. to Port Phillip Bay, and also on King Is., Tas. Grows in a variety of situations but often in shallow soil on hills in open forest.

Acacia implexa var. brevipes (A.Cunn.) Domin, which G.Bentham, Fl. Austral. 2: 389 (1864), had suggested appeared to be a variety of A. melanoxylon, is distinct from both species. According to L.Pedley, Austrobaileya 1: 223 (1978), it is conspecific with the Hawaiian A. heterophylla Hook. & Arn. (= A. koa A.Gray). The type of A. brevipes A.Cunn., described from cultivated material, is at Herb. K and this disposition appears to be correct, insofar as comparative material we have seen of A. koa.

Often confused with A. melanoxylon.

post-1464-1158026825_thumb.jpgpost-1464-1158026889_thumb.jpg

implexa_mueller2.jpg

implexa3.jpg

implexa_mueller2.jpg

implexa3.jpg

or you could just get one of Costermans books, the pocket version onlys costs $20.

i had to laugh at the cunningham field guide stating obtusifolia was: "an erect shrub measuring up to 3m", but then i noticed the more detailed text stated 'up to 15m' which is my experience (i wonder why they dont say that in the field guide?).

When they are as big as 15m you can't see the phyllodes to i'd them, (maybe with binoculars), but when u become familiar with their growth habits its a bit easier.

Finding them when they are flowering helps too.

Also ive witnessed them growing so densely that their are making up %75 of the vegetation in large patches.

Its also interesting to note how much diversity their is within the species, having viewed three very distinct and very geographically distanced populations.

Could someone who has it please post up the info on Acacia holoserica?

here ya go,

Acacia holosericea

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Acacia holosericea A.Cunn. ex G.Don, Gen. Hist. 2: 407 (1832)

Shrub or tree 3–8 m high. Branchlets acutely angled but normally ±terete by 20–30 cm below apex, usually sericeous, sometimes glabrous. Young shoots silvery sericeous, sometimes glabrous. Phyllodes obliquely narrowly elliptic, 10–20 cm long, normally 2–5 cm wide, with unequal base, the mucro 1–3 mm long, usually sericeous, the normally 3 prominent veins per face confluent and contiguous with abaxial margin at base, the minor veins forming a somewhat open, longitudinally orientated reticulum; glands basal and at base of mucro on at least some phyllodes. Inflorescences rudimentary racemes with axes to 0.5 mm long; peduncles 3–7 mm long, sericeous, sometimes glabrous; spikes normally 2–4 cm long, golden; bracteoles linear-spathulate, 1–1.5 mm long. Flowers 5-merous; sepals united. Pods tightly and often somewhat irregularly coiled, 2.5–4 mm wide, thinly crustaceous to coriaceous-crustaceous, ±glabrous, remaining as entangled clumps following dehiscence. Seeds longitudinal, oblong-elliptic, 3.5 mm long, shiny, dark brown; aril bright yellow.

Widespread in northern Australia extending from near Derby, W.A., E across the N.T. to near Rockhampton in eastern Qld. Also scattered occurrences in arid regions at Hammersley Ra. Natl Park, W.A., through central N.T. and to SW of Blackall, Qld. Grows in sometimes gravelly sand or loam, commonly forming communities along watercourses.

Branchlets and phyllodes are sometimes glabrous but more commonly they are sericeous with appressed or subappressed hairs; only rarely are the branchlets pubescent with spreading hairs (e.g. Petford, Qld, N.Hall H83/63, PERTH). Specimens with the widest phyllodes occur in the northern parts of Qld and the N.T. (e.g. Elco Is., J.R.Maconochie 2147, BRI, CANB, DNA, L) and may sometimes resemble A. neurocarpa; however, they seem to be A. holosericea on account of their short, linear-spathulate bracteoles and their slender branchlets which, although apically angled, are soon terete. The phyllodes of A. colei often superficially resemble those of A. holosericea.

In the light of genetic studies by G.F.Moran et al. (1992), in A.House & C.Harwood (eds) Austral. Dry-Zone Acacias Human Food (CSIRO, Canberra), the taxonomic status of A. holosericea was reviewed by B.R.Maslin & L.A.J.Thomson, Austral. Syst. Bot. 5: 729–743 (1992). Consequently A. holosericea is now more narrowly defined, and A. neurocarpa and A. colei are now excluded from it (see the latter two species for further details). Some of the species related to these three include A. cowleana, A. elachantha, A. grandifolia, A. mangium, A. nesophila, A. pellita and A. sericoflora.

Phyllodes, bark and pods are used traditionally by N.T. Aborigines for pruritic skin conditions, headache and tropical infection, fide, Aboriginal Communities of the Northern Territory (1993), Traditional Aboriginal Medicines N. Territory Austral. 16–19 (Conservation Commission of the Northern Territory of Australia, Darwin).

Type of accepted name

Repulse Bay [south Repulse Is., Qld], 1819, A.Cunningham 317; neo: BM, fide B.R.Maslin & L.A.J.Thomson, Austral. Syst. Bot. 5: 737 (1992). Note: The lectotypification of this name by L.Pedley, Austrobaileya 1: 181 (1978), based on Cunningham 478 was overturned by B.R.Maslin & L.A.J.Thomson, loc. cit.

Synonymy

Acacia mangium var. holosericea (A.Cunn. ex G.Don) C.T.White, Contr. Arnold Arbor. 4: 42 (1933); Racosperma holosericeum (A.Cunn. ex G.Don) Pedley, Austrobaileya 2: 349 (1987). Type: as for accepted name.

Acacia holosericea var. glabrata Maiden, Proc. Roy. Soc. Queensland 30: 48 (1918). Type: Gilbert R., Qld, E.W.Bick comm. C.T.White; holo: NSW; iso: BRI.

Acacia holosericea var. multispirea Domin, Biblioth. Bot. 89: 270 (1926). Type: in xerodrymio apud rivulum prope opp. Chillagoi, Qld, Feb. 1910, Domin ‘5176’; holo: PR.

Acacia holosericea var. typica Domin, Biblioth. Bot. 89: 270 (1926), nom. inval

post-1464-1160275322_thumb.jpg

holosericea.jpg

holosericea.jpg

I couldn't resist zooming in on one of these locations with google earth and came across the sad sight of someone's crop going up in flames...

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&c...sa=N&tab=wl

....VIC state titles?????? as in like bush walking titles???