The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

A little sub story

Well, last year in about july, I gathered a bag of wild spawn to seed a large pot full of woodchips. This was done that night wen I returned home from my journey. At first I looked after it well, watering where nessisary and covering to prevent drowning and the mice from eating it.

After a while though and with relationship shit goin on, I soon neglected the woodchip box, letting it completely dry out over summer to the point that it was pretty much bone dry. About 6-8 weeks ago now, I finally emerged from this daze that I had been in and removed the cover, watered it and continued watering, with the help of natural rains. I didn't expect much, if anything at all to happen(maybe a weed shroom or two, but not a target species).

So there I am today checking around my greenhouse for weedrooms in my brommeliad pots and I noticed that sum mice, had been diggin a few little holes, I also noted that the wood in the hole seemed quite white and colonized, so I was just about to have a bit of a dig around in there and BAM!!! There's sum tiny pins(1cm) in the holes edge(mice must have been trippin last night.LOL) Further close visual examination over the box revealed a nice big pin just about to emerge above it's woodchip bed. WOOOHOOO! A lovely little caramal cap staring back at me.

I'll try and take a pic later on today, but if Ican't get a decent pic tonight, then I should be a ble to get a few in the next day or two.

:innocent_n::P:) :D :D :D :D :D :rolleyes::rolleyes::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: ^_^ ^_^ ^ ^_^ B)B)B)B):excl::excl::excl::excl::excl::innocent_n:

:ph34r:

th_02744_DSC03066.JPG

th_02749_DSC03067.JPG

Edited by naja naja

dont forget to topdress after the ornamental mushroom flush are done

what tree species are the chips from?

I stoled the wood chips from where the western power tree loppers had been illegally dumping their chips. It could be a mix of 10 or more species, but i'd say the majority is marri red gums, next being jarrah, then just random rubbish trees/bushes/shrubbery. Maybe sum karri,Agonis and blackbutt.

I'll be dumping this into a large irrigated outdoor woodchip bed in about sept.

:):):)

this caper has been going on in the sw for 10 years or more through the dedicated work of a few freaks

the potential remains explosive

this story reminds me of my little experiment a good few years ago, when I collected some totally dry sub mycelium(seemingly dead) in the middle of summer.

To my surprise, given a set of right conditions, I was able to 'revive' the colonised twigs and bring them to fruitins the following winter!

The original myuycelium was so dry and stressed, it was almost blue...

amazing...

I miss my old house - i had lots of mulch that was well established from something similar.

Today I can count four caramel capped pins and see plenty of white primordia forming. Updated with pics up the top.

Sorry, I could only get a good photo of this 1 pin, the rest are still below the surface.

congrats! having subs in your own backyard is every australian shroomer's dream :worship:

Its always nice - less likely some kids are gonna trash it.

awesome naja, this season i'm going to see if i can bring em up to perth, not perth central, but mundaring way, i've moved up to kalamunda and the countryside in places is very similar to down south... anyone tried this already? maybe the eastern subs would go better being a more aggressive strain? any ideas would be much appreciated

Definitely worth a try - hills soils are probably slightly better suited and temps are a bit lower.

Naja, Much respect mayte! keep up the good work brother!

Naja, Much respect mayte! keep up the good work brother!

Thanks for the words of support everyone.

FYI, it hasn't really been that cold here at all yet. Maybe 1 or 2 nights so far below 6 degC, but average night temps of >10 degC. So it seems, rain is more of a requirment that temp. So I see no reason at all, why the wouldn't grow in perth back hill pines.

Naja

Awww...aren't you going to post more pics???

:P

Well O.K. then.Seeing as how I don't have to walk that far, I'll go take sum rite now, put em up by midnight tonight.Promise! There's 5 pins above now!

Sorry, my batt runned out, so I only got these two pics. I'll add sum more tomorrow. They r growing fast now!

th_92697_DSC03089.JPG

th_92703_DSC03088.JPG

Yes, that is a diff pin from the one pictured above in my first post.

Edited by naja naja

That is so cool mate :worship:

Sum more photo's this morning. Fuck it was cold! No clouds, but it was raining from the mist in the air.WILD! Suns shining now.

th_37637_DSC03091.JPGth_37642_DSC03092.JPG

th_37647_DSC03094.JPGth_37652_DSC03095.JPG

th_37656_DSC03096.JPG

Showing all five pins now.

Edited by naja naja

Wicked stuff man, thanks for the shots :D

I'd love to grow some Subaeruginosa of my own.. B)

Edited by alkatrope

Update:

2 more pins noticed emerging from the surface, good strong myc, ripping through the woodchips. Strong myc bases visible on rooms.

I knocked the box a few inches about a week ago, so since I had broken the mycelial network that was growing into the marri, face cut, that I use as shelves. I decided to look under the box, since I had noticed a few white primordia at the edge. To my surprise, there's 30-60 healthy primordia, strongly attatched to the marri shelf. I replaced the shelf carefully, (even though I thought they would all just die, from the myc network breakage). Just now, I noticed that the primordia on the edge(now only attatched to he marri shelf) were still growing and the cap starting to colour. So, with a torch, I look under the small gap(5mm) between the wood container and the marri shelf,The myc had recovered and grown thoroughly into the shelf and there's all the primordia still growing and colouring up. Plus 2 good size caramel cap pins squished under the box.(this may pose a problem later on!)

I think that they r actually liking this warm weather, the sustrates wet enough, the primordia formation has been initiated by the cold nights, the rooms r growing fast and the myc is just ripping through(noticable growth daily!) I see no reason why this would not also apply for the wild?

^_^ I'll go take sum update photo's now.

th_70077_DSC03097.JPGth_70082_DSC03098.JPG

th_70088_DSC03099.JPGth_70094_DSC03100.JPG

th_70100_DSC03101.JPGth_70198_DSC03106.JPG

Edited by naja naja

wow! :worship:

thanks for sharing, great pics.

I'm soooo jealous... :D

This could turn out to be a pretty epic little flush..

Edited by OttO