The Corroboree
mindperformer

Ibogaine-containing eyedrops In the amazon & Tabernaemontanas

The Matis tribe using hallucinogenic eyedrops from Tabernaemontana undulata which contains ibogaine:

http://www.amazon-in...s-Video-01.html

the Matis also use the secretions from the treefrog Phyllomedusa bicolor for hunting visions and put small balls of it on small burns of the skin.

Edited by mindperformer

The link does not appear to be working for me, just says 'Access to the webpage was denied'.

Do you know whether the eye drops do actually act as a halluginogen? I do remember seeing on the BBC Tribe series with the Matis, the use of eye drops from a plant although it never mentioned a name, and didn't really explain the effects apart from a lot of pain lol.

I wonder whether this was the same thing as you describe?

Or maybe when the link works I'll see I'm completely off track haha.

the Matis also use the secretions from the treefrog Phyllomedusa bicolor for hunting visions and put small balls of it on small burns of the skin.

I remember Hamilton from Vice magazine doing a short doco on this frog.. it's in 3 parts.

It's a pretty decent watch.

heres the link:

http://www.vice.com/...ies-episode-1-1

I changed the link now,

@ fydesvindico: interesting video!

does anyone have Tabernaemontana undulata (Becchete)- seeds for exchange?

I remember Hamilton from Vice magazine doing a short doco on this frog.. it's in 3 parts.

It's a pretty decent watch.

heres the link:

http://www.vice.com/...ies-episode-1-1

Couldn't help but think through the entire thing, how much he looked like a frog :P

I had a bit more into a look at the plant you mentioned MindPerformer and I'm pretty sure that would be the one that was shown in the Tribe series - has a stinging sensation, helps hunters by making it easier to spot prey and making them see better, and the energy increase.

I wonder how the alkaloid composition differs from our native Tabernaemontana species.

the fruit looks quite different than the ones of other Tabernaemontanas of only a few species contain Ibogaine. The most abundant component is Coronaridine, but T. undulata should have a usable Ibogaine content.

Tabernaemontana pachysiphon has action on opioid- and adenosine- receptors because of Tubotaiwine and Apparicine (= Pericalline). It is also used as hypnotic and contains the complex compound Gabunine.

Some alkaloids from Tabernaemontana divaricata act as strong acetylcholinesterase inhibitors.

Tabernaemontana orientalis also inhibits AChE and contains Ibogaine.

Tabernaemontana divaricata:

2hd15i1.jpg

Tabernaemontana orientalis:

2ce3woh.jpg

Tabernaemontana pandacaqui with flower:

15i3lvc.jpg

Tabernaemontana pachysiphon- leaves (dried):

2cole02.jpg

the strange thing is: there are not only ibogaine-containing eyedrops in Amazonia but also psychoactive eyedrops in Iboga- cult in africa:

The sap of Elaeophorbia drupifera is used in Bwiti as visionary eyedrops

The Shipibo use eyedrops to give them the ability to see visions well enough to make the tapestry patterns, the plant they use I think is called Piri Piri. Also, the frog medicine is known as Kambo or Sapo and it's not hallucinogenic, but is a purgative and cleanser used in ceremonies. Bruce Parry took it with the Matis:

Edited by Vine Voice

Hang on - isn't ibogaine only active in the hundreds-of-milligrams range? Can you really absorb an active dose from eyedrops? I have no experience with this ROA, but it seems like you would either need a lot of drops, or the solution would have to be very concentrated - and neither really sound like a good way to take drugs.

I have seen the video, its a good documentary,

Piri-Piri is thought to be Justicia pectoralis var. stenophylla and contains cumarines, I only knew about intranasal application...

I would call the frog secretion pseudohallucinogenic. It does not act on a way like clasical hallucinogens, but the fly agaric also does not... but sure the indians have visions, especially from the animal world

it contains highly active opioid peptides and there is more research to be done on the complex cocktail of constituents in the secretion

yes, Ibogain is hallucinogenic from 300-1000mg but the stimulant effect takes place at 8mg. (The stimulants Lambarene and Iperton were sold in France and contained around 8mg).

Also in Gabon they only once take a big dose and otherwise only very small dosages

As Iboga also has a white sap, I think it really is possible to have a slight stimulant effect from this sap, when used as eyedrops

Ah cool, didn't know about the low dosages - thanks for the info mp.

As Iboga also has a white sap, I think it really is possible to have a slight stimulant effect from this sap, when used as eyedrops

everytime, i got plant sap in my eyes, it did hurt a lot.

maybe we are not talking an irritating milk sap here, but a rather clear looking sap, which causes little irritation, to the eye.

I didn't try it yet ;-) but I think Tabernaemontana undulata has a milky sap, like the most Apocynaceae

It surely hurts, but there are much more painful rituals, I think on the bullet-ants-gloves

Edited by mindperformer