The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Thelema

myrhh as an opiate?

well, sometimes I come across things that have slipped under my radar for some time. yesterday I was reading a review of an interesting book:

http://collection.nlc-bnc.ca/100/201/300/j...4/pdf/pg300.pdf

and he mentions that myrhh is an opioid analgesic.

Does anyone know the exact substance involved/concentrations in resin, traditional analgesic use etc?

[ 30. October 2003, 00:22: Message edited by: Thelema ]

Since ancient times the fragrant plant secretion known as myrrh has been used in incense, perfume, and even as a painkiller. Now a team of chemists and pharmacologists at the University of Florence in Italy report that two compounds of myrrh do indeed have pain-relieving properties. The researchers initially observed that mice injected with a myrrh solution were slower than a control group in reacting to the heat of a metal plate. They tested three main compounds of myrrh and found that two of them--furanoeudesma-1,3-diene and curzarene--had pronounced analgesic effects. Additional tests suggested that these compounds interact with the opioid receptors in the mice's brains to decrease the sensation of pain.

Myrrh has been used medicinally for centuries, for treating conditions ranging from battle wounds to skin inflammations. The Greek physician Hippocrates prescribed it for sores, and the Romans used it to treat worm infestations, coughs, and certain infections. According to the New Testament, Jesus was offered wine with myrrh before his crucifixion. Piero Dolara, one of the researchers, says that more effective painkillers such as morphine, developed in the nineteenth century, replaced myrrh as an analgesic. It is commonly used today in mouthwash and toothpaste.--BRETT LESLIE FREESE

couldn't find anything on concentrations, sorry.

[ 30. October 2003, 03:48: Message edited by: nabraxas ]

quote:

According to the New Testament, Jesus was offered wine with myrrh before his crucifixion.

How old is this quote? Last time I checked the general consensus that 'wine mingled with gall' was wine with opium added.

All the difficulty interpreting the bible makes me glad I'm not christian. Whats opium today could be myrrh tomorrow, allspice the next day, and datura a week from tuesday.

hehe you think translation is hard?

try then to convince a christian that

a) 'son(s and daughters) of god' was a common term of reference to a religious person back then and doesnt imply any literal supernatural meaning. That whole demi-god thing probably got mad eup by the greeks who first wrote down the stories - we all know how much they and the romans love stories about demi-gods (half human/half god) jesus joins a number of other demo-gods eg hercules and zeus's other love children

B) Jesus didnt die on any cross and that the whole drugged wine, drugged vinegar (mandrake, henbane?),shroud and spices for 3 days in a cave with the old women (antiseptic environment w local healers) etc was a grand (and risky) staging of his own death in collusion with his followers and maybe even the roman authorities. All in order to fulfill the requirements of a prophecy and get credibility as the messiah.

c)He then look leave with his wife (magdalene) (that whole foot washin' thing was part of the marriage ceremony of the time) and lived out a long and happy life, and obviously had many children.

c) any extra supernatural bits were added in later (several hundred years later!) when it was all written down.

i try as often as i can - i know its not nice but they already know the easter bunny, tooth fairy and Father chrismas arent real and its about time they had to swallow that last bitter pill..

after all we all found out the first 3 and it didnt kill us, i wish christians would realise that a guy doesnt have to be a demi-god to have come up with some valid insights into life and morality and that taking a good look at the reality of the situation based on the archaeology and records might help them all make some sense of their splintered faith once and for all.

guaranteed not to make you popular with Fundamentalist christians

The word "Gall" may have been referring to the bitter fact that as the tetrodotoxin-containing fish of the area are without scales Jesus would have to break the Mosaic food laws to consume a preparation that would induce a suspension of life signs for several days.

Not that I am suggesting that Jesus was a Zombie

if anyone has any proof that yesu ben yuseph ever even existed- let alone was crucified or given drugged wine- i'd be interested to see/hear it.

religeous fraud

apollonius the nazarene

fraud in translation

& i regret that those articles appear on a very twisted website- whose overall view is crazy; but don't let that put you off the sense in the articles listed,- which is not something i have only seen on that site, but that was the most recent place i've seen them, hence posting it.

--sorry for the long explanation but i don't want anyone to think i actually believe all the stuff on his site.

[ 31. October 2003, 07:14: Message edited by: nabraxas ]

wadda ya mean not real?he's our newest member!!!

now lets get together for some ritual canibalism,halleluia!

t s t .

You could treat essential oil of myrrh by dissolving in a solvent and washing with water with a little caustic soda in it to take out a large component that is not useful.

nice links nabraxas

i am interested in that kinda stuff

here is another

http://freethought.freeservers.com/library...eism.html#xtian

i heard that the hebrew word that was translated into resurrected would be more accurately translated into resuscitated.

it would make a lot more sense if the young lad on the cross was simply resuscitated. if he existed that is.

but let us not offend too many people and get back to myrrh.....

Thanks Rev.

It may take a while to convince people, but I'm sure it can be done.

It's just not very nice being told that everything you believe in is a sham.

I tend to find people won't listen if they feel your trying to remove meaning from their life.

What they like to hear is " he was just like us, a person who wanted change, learn but don't there's no need to idolize him, he was creating a movement outside and away from the curch, if you truely love him and believe in him you'll stay out of the church and focus on the community, they're your and his brother & sister too"

I don't think that the truth need be sugar coated not to hurt, I just think that it help to point out the positive aspects that we can relate to.Acceptance not rejectance.

This also helps stop the infective plague of contradictive behaviour that we live with.

shin- very interesting link, & more 'respectable' than mine.

to get back to myrrh, has anyone tried Theo's extraction tech?

theobromos:

You could treat essential oil of myrrh by dissolving in a solvent and washing with water with a little caustic soda in it to take out a large component that is not useful.

I recently had some personal experience of that "not useful" component which I guess is worth reporting. I got myself a 5 mL bottle of essential oil from the aromatherapy shop, and initially wondered WTF it was that Theo was recommending washing out. I eventually concluded that it must have been fatty acids, but also concluded that a teaspoonful couldn't hurt anyone. Wrong! Three days of gastro ensued. Geeze, I am starting to make a habit of this in the cause of experimentation :(

As to the psychoactive effects? I would rate them roughly the same as a Valium pill, so not super-strong (and definitely not worth the after-effects).

It was interesting that the oil dived straight to the bottom of a shot of rum, and refused to budge, so must be highly non-polar. The literature goes on about the high molecular-weight sesquiterpenes being responsible for the analgesia, but note that Shulgin also mentions that there is a dimethoxy benzyl in there as well, which in theory could be aminated to produce one of the DMAs or DMMAs. Same goes for the wormwood/mugwort family.

Nabraxas and Rev.....

Tut tut!

You've got it all wrong Check this

[ 04. December 2003, 09:56: Message edited by: mescalito ]

mesc--(you need to edit that link to get rid ov one ov the 2 "http/:"s at the start, which is why it goes to "page unavailable")rev may well be wrong, but not i.

i never made a statement ov fact, just asked for proof.

as to the oil thing, that actually goes all the way back to the old testament---the oil that god says should be used for annointing kings, was to be made either ov calamus or cannabis--depending on translation.

& a big thankyou to Mr b.corn for his too thorough research

[ 04. December 2003, 04:18: Message edited by: nabraxas ]

quote:

Originally posted by nabraxas:

[QBthe oil that god says should be used for annointing kings,[/QB]

Oh god, its early in the morning, perhaps this accounts for it, but I read it as ' the oil god said should be used for annoying kings '.

For a minute there I thought the Bible actually had something useful in it, and was amazed they'd been so specific. Did some good visuals, too. :)

Done!

There's an interesting rant on the Oz Stoners? forum, do a search on Jesus :cool:

DL-that's the best laugh i've had since kerry interviewing mark latham on the 7:30 report ABC last night- which was hilarious, kerry was having trouble keeping it together :D

mesc--having trouble doing a search- i can't log on, 'cus i've forgotten my user name--D'oh!

could you post a link? please.

Give this a go.

J_B, thanks for the bioassay...i thought it was going to be me again who was left to do this.

It's great to see someone as crazy as I am in injesting the strange and wonderful, risking liver and brain in the shamanic search.

Welcome, my friend! Keep up the good work, maybe one day you'll strike it lucky!

Thelema:

It's great to see someone as crazy as I am in injesting the strange and wonderful, risking liver and brain in the shamanic search.

The same aromatherapist's has a bottle of essential oil of chamomile, which is screaming out "consume me" :) However, I think a generally good strategy with these sorts of things is to start with a few drops and work up. Look at the nutmeg experience ... BTW, I seem to have a fairly high tolerance to depressants, so someone else could very well get more out of myrrh.

Back to the original post , is this plant a worthwhile investment?

I have recently seen seed for sale and wouldn't mind if someone has a pic and could post it :D .