The Corroboree
nabraxas

'We have broken speed of light'

good post ballzac.

time is local. it seems like everyone has some difficulty swallowing the idea when they first encounter it.

in theory: if your spaceship is travelling at the speed of light, you are not experiencing time. it has slowed to a standstill. you could blaze up ten billion light years and you will arrive at your destination not one second older than when you left off.

likewise, time would probably not be moving in a black hole. let's not go there, shan't we?

i fairly sure that's right, otherwise correct me.

i'm interested in the opposite end of time. how fast can time travel? say you escape all gravity and acceleration somehow, what then?

The fact is that although it is often said that time would stand still at the speed of light, it actually doesn't make sense. As you approach c, the lorentz factor (the factor by which time is slowed down) approaches infinity. As you can never reach c, the lorentz factor never actually reaches infinity, which would be required for time to stop completely. It is the same reason that the graph of y=1/x never touches the x-axis. x can increase to extremely high values, and the graph will get closer and closer, but it will never actually intersect. That was a very simple example, but the lorentz factor isn't too much more complicated:

gamma=1/(1-(v/c)^2)^(1/2)

Looks a bit confusing without proper mathematical notation, but it's just one on the sqare-root of one minus v squared on c squared. So as v approaches c, gamma approaches infinity. The lorentz factor also controls relativistic mass, so it requires more and more energy to push an object closer to c. It would take an infinite amount of energy to push something to c, a logical impossibility. So no object with mass will ever travel at c or faster.

As for time traveling fast, the fastest time can travel with respect to an observer in a reference frame that is not accelerating is the proper time which is a time interval measured in the same place with respect to the reference frame. If you want time to pass faster for you than for another observer, simply cause their time to slow down somehow. It is all relative to who's observing what anyway, so if Bob's clock is running fast with respect to yours, then yours must be running slow with respect to his.

I discovered recently, it can easily be proved that a change in celerity (c, the speed of light) is in principle mathematically indistinguishable from a change in the gravitational constant whilst c is held constant.

Anyone interested in this sort of stuff should give "The Elegant Universe" and "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene a read... both awesome books that deal with a lot of complex physics, but in terms that you can understand

Fabric is probably easier and a little more general, so start with that

Basically everything in the universe travels through space-time at the speed of light... so therefore the faster you travel through space, the slower you have to travel through time

Anyway this page explains things better than I can :)

Clicky

Anyone interested in this sort of stuff should give "The Elegant Universe" and "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene a read... both awesome books that deal with a lot of complex physics, but in terms that you can understand

Basically everything in the universe travels through space-time at the speed of light... so therefore the faster you travel through space, the slower you have to travel through time

Clicky

makes your head spin!?

sorta like the FIRST DRAG on a ***!?(ciggarette)!?or the DOWNSIDE of a GREAT DRUNK!?hehe!!.....

is there an INHERENT contradiction BETWEEN an ELEGANT universe and and ELEGANT society!?any explanations would be appreciated!?(the PASS it on theory of realized participation!?)hehe!!..

If you're free from gravity, time, acceleration (and dont forget inertia) you have space travelled to Canberra.

If you're free from gravity, time, acceleration (and dont forget inertia) you have space travelled to Canberra.

Haha - unfortunately, we still cop that damn gravity stuff here (as my one year old son is rapidly learning :P), and time is always against you (when you want to sleep in for another hour, but work is calling...). As for acceleration - well, I can go from 0 to 100 clicks in a couple seconds in my car, but I dont know a lot about inertia, so I guess that is quite likely still about the place in these parts :)

But, as I think you are referring to some of the blokes up on Capitol Hill, you could very well be right - though I think it is more than the laws of the universe that are missing from that place at times :P

And if anyone is planning on space travelling to Canberra - would you be nice enough to drop by and bloody say 'ello?? Us 'Canberrians' arent all bad, haha :lol:

I have experienced the construct of time/space disolve... It was a journey with Alice and nitrious...

I experienced eternity within an instant free of time...

I did time stop?

Well if time is relative then yes, I think it did.

Would people agree?

Or is it the perception of time thats relative? Did time slow or did your mind speed up and expand? A few hours into a trip it feels like eternity or without any time, at the end its like 'yeah that was about 8 hours'

If a man sets out from the Horsehead Nebula in a spaceship traveling at thrice the speed of light, and his father leaves from Rigel Two at the same time going half the speed, how many nanoseconds will it be before time paradox causes the first man never to have been born!? hehe!!......just askin....

time is arbitrary. Just something used so that every1 has somewhere to go, or something to do. It does not matter what a clock says after a journey etc as it is only us who are observing the clock and 'time'

In reality the constant fusing that makes our sun, and every star in the universe can never stop, slow or reverse, so inevitably, that thing we call time will continue to spiral forward, with or without us.

the 5th dimension is the opposite to the 4th.

the 5th is a world of plan, pattern, of cause, wherin is shown life as a whole, past , present, future, and time no longer exists in its lower lower dimensional sense.

In this realm, time, instead of spreading out through out space, is convering into the great withiness of past, present and future all come together. presenting one completed picture

when man can link successfully with his superconscious he obtains infinitesimal flashes of this completed picture of truth, which result in what we call intuition

and just to give a practical example,it could be said to be expressed in the idea of not having enough time,compared to having all the time in the world!?that was just so you know what to LOOK for as a sign!?hehe!!.....just askn......

Or is it the perception of time thats relative? Did time slow or did your mind speed up and expand? A few hours into a trip it feels like eternity or without any time, at the end its like 'yeah that was about 8 hours'

Our perception of time is all we have to prove that it exists. If time is not reletive how do we know it exists beyond our senses.

I think that we perceive time as linear because thats how our brain processes the sensory information, like frames in an animation.

See what I mean?

"A pair of German physicists claim to have broken the speed of light"

Finally, it is about time (*chuckles at own joke*)

Now I can at last move to Titan where all my Baxter-esque dreams will come true.

"Basically everything in the universe travels through space-time at the speed of light... so therefore the faster you travel through space, the slower you have to travel through time"

that's nice and concise.

"the 5th is a world of plan, pattern, of cause, wherin is shown life as a whole, past , present, future, and time no longer exists in its lower lower dimensional sense.

In this realm, time, instead of spreading out through out space, is convering into the great withiness of past, present and future all come together. presenting one completed picture

when man can link successfully with his superconscious he obtains infinitesimal flashes of this completed picture of truth, which result in what we call intuition"

i'd almost sign my name to something like that.

Clicky

Have just place a request on two of Brian Greenes books at my local library. Thanks for posting about it.

Hitherto Paul Davies has been my favorite author regards this sort of stuff.

"Basically everything in the universe travels through space-time at the speed of light... so therefore the faster you travel through space, the slower you have to travel through time"

This 'space/time theory' is from what I can see, relative to our senses.

Would anybody like to try and prove that this idea exists beyond our sensory world as an objective reality...

[bWould anybody like to try and prove that this idea exists beyond our sensory world as an objective reality...

Would you like to prove that anything exists in our world beyond our senses?

ok well its not about going faster than light...but I couldn't be arse starting a new tread...& its on the same line...space travel...

Shawyer’s company, SPR Ltd., writes that it has “demonstrated a remarkable new space propulsion technology. [it] has successfully tested both an experimental thruster and a demonstrator engine which use patented microwave technology to convert electrical energy directly into thrust. No propellant is used in the conversion process. Thrust is produced by the amplification of the radiation pressure of an electromagnetic wave propagated through a resonant waveguide assembly.”

"immense costs of satellites, space ships and stations could be reduced to a mere fraction of what was previously thought. This should open the world up to exciting deep-space missions and enable us to survive a virtual lifetime in space.

Even more amazing, new propulsion technology based on the EmDrive should take space travel to amazing speeds, enabling humanity to reach distant worlds much more quickly."

read whole article..

http://rt.com/usa/177204-nasa-space-drive-emdrive/

thats nice but how do they propose to store or generate the electrical energy?

good point ..I guess locally solar, or some kind of energy harvesting from decaying matter....shame there's not some way to harvest the 'electrical potential of space'.