The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mescalito

Recourse for inapproriate surveillance?

Hey guys, since I have been in this town(2yrs)I haven't associated with bad peeps,pissed anyone off or anything...in fact I've been a bit of a hermit battling to survive both mentally and physically so I just don't get it!

One month after arriving I received a phonecall stating that cannabis was found at my last abode by the new tenants.This was overturned as it was obviously a trap that I never fell into and nothing more was pursued on the matter.

A month ago I was trying to find a park at the post office around 10am when the HP started tailing me so I pulled over and out came the bag and the questions like "have you been in trouble with the law before?" and "can you take off your sunglasses".Result-NOT driving under the influence at 10am...I mean REALLY?? :rolleyes:

Then two days ago my mum rings in a fluff and says "the cops were here last night and wanted to search the shed"(where I used to live)"they said someone reported cannabis being grown in there".

She obliged and once again nothing found-nothing there-nothing proven!

Do I have any rights here??? or if someone doesn't like me can they just keep ringing the cops to make my life bloody uncomfortable?

If I can't fix this in the appropriate way then one particular local is going to need a 4ft extension ladder to clean his teeth I can tell you because I've had enough of this type of shit.

I'm not a bruiser in fact as passive as they come but I'm really starting to get pissed here :mad:

I would rather use the system to my advantage than bash this f/wit...any help would be appreciated before I lose it.

Thanks Mesc...

Shit!

That sucks Mesq. They sure must be making you feel even more paranoid than a stoner normally does. :(

I have no idea where you stand legally though, sorry.

mescalito:

One month after arriving I received a phonecall stating that cannabis was found at my last abode by the new tenants.

Didn't this have something to do with your partners ex? I can't recall the specifics... can you be sure this isn't a follow on from all that?

"have you been in trouble with the law before?" and "can you take off your sunglasses".

Standard questions and standard practice. I got breathalysed at 10am on Tues just this week outside the tiniest little town... not a cause for panic or worries about personal vendettas unless it happens every week

Always remove sunnies etc as soon as they pull you up. Have your licence and rego ready. If you're riding a bike, remove crash helmet unless it's pissing down. IME they hassle you less if you look like you want to make their job easier

or if someone doesn't like me can they just keep ringing the cops to make my life bloody uncomfortable?

Pretty much for as long as the cops can stand it- they pretty much have to investigate an allegation or public complaint. We have one bloke ( was going to call him an old bastard but he's been doing this for decades ) who keeps an eye on everyone and waits for someone to blunder on anything no matter how petty- before calling the cops. He used to dob people going into his shop for having unregoe'd cars. He's even admitted to trespassing- wandering round people's yards looking for imagined breaches of some petty law. I'm not sure the cops are entirely interested and they probably cringe every time he rings them.

His brother may live in your town...

If I can't fix this in the appropriate way then one particular local is going to need a 4ft extension ladder to clean his teeth I can tell you because I've had enough of this type of shit.

Try to stay calm, I know its hard, and be supremely careful when pointing the finger. It's really easy to lose it with someone who it will turn out later isn't at fault ( from experience ). It doesn't hurt to front the person you suspect calmly and in a neutral manner, asking more questions than making allegations. If you're polite and you find out later for sure they lied to you, you don't look so bad for losing it.

If you do get busted for anything cos some idiot copper's dog yaps, then usually the cops will probably tell you who it was- they don't have a high opinion of informers either.

I would suggest that you seek some professional legal advice from legal aid or a sollicitor or someone...

Im sure there would be some avenue's for retaliation, you may be able to complain about harrasment from the police or harrasment from this individual as well as slander and so on.

Also, If he is knowingly telling them lies, then that is illegal for a few reasons and they can be charged for it.

Normaly I would say to jst ignore the person and dont give them the privalige of polluting your mind but because it involes such serious events with legal reprecussions I think you should do something about it.

Ah yeah- and if you ever talk to anyone who may be implicated in spreading the bullshit, have as respectable a trusted witness along with you as you can manage. It's too easy for someone to say you threatened them, or were abusive, and then that gets the crap icing laid on the shitcake.

A witness who is with you can also prevent trouble, the other person may not be inclined to behave so badly with a third party there. Make sure your witness knows beforehand that they are there to alleviate further aggression and confusion- not to add to it.

Never trust anyone else but your witness to act in your interests. Just because other people are already there when you arrive for your chat doesn't mean they will be good witnesses- they will all have separate agendas which may have nothing to do with the situation at hand

Never make threats. It's rude, and it makes you look like a dick. It can also make people who weren't otherwise involved want to smack you

Fronting the person you think is responsible and giving them a chance to answer for themselves is only fair and any action you take further to that will be made on a sound basis

and good luck there, I hope it all just dies in the arse :)

[ 17. September 2005, 09:13: Message edited by: Darklight ]

maybe you could call crimestoppers and the local police station and tell them that somebody haresses you in that way.

tell them that nothing ever has been found and that somebody (maybe an ex) tries to make life hard for you.

i was once told a story, by a woman which left her boyfriend and he called crimestoppers and people searched her garden for hemp, as he said she grows it... but she never cultivated, he did it only to harress her!

i assume that cops and crimestoppers aren't keen on getting sent to false alarms (as it waste's police resources and cop's don't like to be fooled), so that they never found anything should work in your favor.

i would say that your ex isn't happy with you leaving her and that's how she tries to make your life miserable.

don't let that get you down,

i send you my deepest sympathy,

one time this will all be in the past and you will laugh about it!

who ever did that to you is fucking low life,

yep stay calm,

and all will be well at the end!

Thanks for the replies so far..I've cooled off somewhat

Yeah it's a very suspicious scenario because realistically not many people actually know that I'm living here...I've been working quietly on my own life and staying out of circulation for a reason...TO AVOID SHIT I DON'T NEED!!My stress threshold is pretty low atm.

Basically I was living in a shed beside my mums house until around 4 months ago.Since then I've been back like twice to pick stuff up.She lives in a lane on the outskirts of town in an 80 zone so not much local traffic.There isn't anything turned on in the shed in fact the power is off at the board so it couldn't be a neighbour complaining about lights or a smell.Actually the nearest neighbour is about 50m away from the shed.

There is only two possibles that would gain from this harrassment that knew where I WAS living and knew of my hydro setup.(I STRESS that I am NOT growing illegal plants with my setup I don't want the hassle)

The thing is, I guess each of these suspects has a lot to lose so I'll play it cool and when the truth comes out I'll turn the tables as they both live in glass houses :P

You would have to know the vibe surrounding this area to understand how fucked up and fixated these locals become.If you're different you usually get a flogging and have to move.It all started over a century ago with riots,white australia policy,and currently with the Lebs and Afghanis...It's a fucked attitude that seems to live in the area....maybe I need CS's advice on a method for healing the land??

EDIT:no it's nothing to do with my "ex" as she's not actually an "ex" we just don't reside together atm.

[ 17. September 2005, 10:51: Message edited by: mescalito ]

i believe this is the same town where a crazed local set fire to a backpackers residence????

keep yer chin up mesc-this will fizzle out, u have nothing to worry about, on the contrary ur suspects have so much more to lose-

lay low till she blows over mate, and again,

keep ur chin up mate!!the cops out here are dodgy though, orange (where i live) is supposed to be the heroin captitl of the central west.U hear of lots of mj busts(of smalltime dealers) but NEVER in the 5 yrs ive lived here have i heard of a heroin/amphetamine bust, while these drugs are freely available. If u ask my personal opinion, the cops here are corrupt as motherfuckers.

All the sergeants and d's here live in the grandest of houses on the best land, drive sickass hotted up cars-leaves u thinkin how a govt job could afford u such luxuries.

As i say, incognito is the ONLY way here-as they love lumpin ur ass to the station for even a stick.

our best wishes are with u mesc.

SPeaking of Police Harressment, For those of you interested in doing, locate and dowload your states Police Powers act and the criminal code. makes for interesting reading. The drug misuse act is also good as well.

Darklights right.

A witness is a biological tape.

Taping recording can be illegal in many places unless its a video tape.

But cops love to have a video tape recording.

Really sounds like a type of thing hiring a private detective could solve expensively but fast.

Just write a letter of compaint to your local member of parliment. You see they have to reply in writing when you send a written letter.Then become a serial letter writer , stapling copies of all previous letters to the next one you write and so on......not only is this amusing and a good way to become active in your community , but sooner or later some on will listen.

Nb: used recycled paper .

not sure if u could use this but verbal judo may be of some use.

if ya think ur bein hastle by a cop stopping u, for instance, and he says 'how r u?' u can go into a long story bout how u got up this morning and was going to have some jam 4 breakfast that a mate ben told u bout but i found it was too cold so i had poridge which was ok but i had no cream 4 it then me mum said, ...'. this should make him wish he never met u. play th 'im so lonely, im glad u stopped me so i can talk to someone' routine.

if u have bin stitched up by someone, and the cops find nothing but a boring conversation it emphasises the waste of their time to them. perhaps they will then go give the 'informer' shit 4 wasting their precious time.

It sounds like a person who read a internet manual on the way to do stuff do make someones life making it more difficult.

Just one guy with a pissed of attitude.

The stuff is illegal and cops know all about that stuff.

So just a matter of identification.

Vengence is best as a cold plate,

Best eaten cold.

But it alot better if one can sue for damamges.

Like their house.

which shouldn't that hard.

As a case a guy was had a highway patrolman on targeting him for several years and the court jury gave the guy 250 millions in compensation.

So just view it as a bonnaza as far as legal sueing.

It sux when ppl do this. Remember if worst comes to worst and you cant take it anymore u could always blow them up by installing a methlab in their house, according to TV they blow up constantly!

I have this ex friend who when questioned by police gives them my details. We are approx same height, eye and hair colour etc.

I found this out a few years ago when my parents were called by the police telling them I was intoxicated and they were bringing me home. Only problem was that I already was at home only the parents didn't know that so thought it was legit.

Strange thing is "I" never came home, so I think that slippery fuck must have given the police another address to take him to.

I went to the police station the next day told them what had occurred but they weren't interested in the slightest. I also seeked to have information put on the police computers that if I am picked up, or fined for something, the person stating that they are me, may not be me and are in fact this other person.

They did not want to know about that either, saying that I could use that as a premeditated alibi. I then said ok would you make it a condition that If I'm picked up for anything that I must show a drivers licence, and if I can not show a drivers licence then It's probably not me. He wanked on that it was against my civil liberties to have to carry a drivers licence

So... That doesn't really have anything to do with your problem does it. I just wanted to whinge about police

[ 29. September 2005, 02:27: Message edited by: blog ]

You should begin with an extensive letter writing course of action to the following:

The State Premier

The State Attorney General

The State Police Affairs Minister

Your localMember of Parliament

The relevant shadow portfolio politicians of the aforementioned.

The State Ombudsman

Police Internal Affairs

The Police commisioner

The Police area co-ordinator of the offending locale.

The CCL

Amnesty International

The Prime Minister

The Federal Attorney General

Make sure your letter describes that it has been sent to all the above departments and send it collect post to ensure arrival and reply, and DEMAND action be taken.

blog

quote:

So... That doesn't really have anything to do with your problem does it. I just wanted to whinge about police

me too

I'm over it now, just wasn't coping well at the time and didn't need to feel like I was being watched by the fuzz.

I handed it all over to the universe and feel much better about it.I'm certain I know who put the call in though...ironically I hear he's just copped a huge centrelink bill..tisk..tisk :P

Good thing is the cops were very blaze' with their inspection i.e. they weren't interested so I'm actually less paranoid as a result.If they come to this house for search purposes then I'll be making some noise but things have been much quieter since this happened.

I can't believe how much it pissed me off at the time though :rolleyes:

Glad to hear you are feeling more secure in your own surroundings now Mesq. Of course it would piss you off! No-one likes their privacy being invaded, and especially ethnobot-types.

Most of us here do have, quite legitimate items, that could be misconstrued as drug paraphernalia by the powers that be. Imagine getting busted because someone gave a bogus tip-off about weed plants or something that you didn't even have, but the cops catch you for other things. That would hurt.

Best of luck with your harrasser. :)

mescalito:

I handed it all over to the universe and feel much better about it.I'm certain I know who put the call in though...ironically I hear he's just copped a huge centrelink bill..tisk..tisk :P

Glad you're feeling better about it too mesc. You probably will eventually find out who did this to you, life in a small town has a way of giving closure to most things over time. But til then don't worry about who may or may not have pulled the stunt, you'll only fluster yourself and the answer could surprise you

blog yer ex- mate sounds like a pain. Have you had a word with him?