The Corroboree
Anodyne

$50 mini-greenhouse from Aldi

I was in the process of building a winter home for my psychotrias and other fussy babies, out of wooden pallets and clear plastic, when I discovered these. Since the earlier version was probably going to cost me about $30 in materials if I couldn't scavenge the plastic from somewhere, this is a bargain for me. Will post some pics later, but it's decent quality, seems fairly sturdy but easy enough to dismantle in summer if you have really limited space. I think in summer I'll just replace the clear plastic with shadecloth.

Bunnings are selling the same thing for $90.

• Like 1

Nice find

Is this an online store etc? I dont see a checkout so i asume i would need one of these stores near me.

Just checking as this is a decent deal for what i require

Edited by eatfoo

Make sure you strengthen it with zip ties and star pickets . The only thing i did not like was the plastic degrades after a few years.

But just make sure you clean the roof as mould grows on the top . But hey for fifty bucks its a bargain hope my aldi has them .

• Like 2

Mine is in a fairly sheltered spot so I think it's safe but will probably still take some measures to stop it from blowing away. Bigred, you're absolutely right that the plastic looks like the weak point in the whole thing. But even when it dies I reckon the frame will be handy.

Eatfoo, afaik Aldi don't have an online store/delivery - they're a big discount supermarket chain.

Just make sure it's outta the wind bro! They cripple with ease....

Too true, I started out with one of these, it was great for a while until a storm destroyed it. Broke my heart to come home to find my 6ft Salvias smashed into lots of small pieces.(made lots of cuttings though).

I ended up going down to the local hardware store and for $20 they gave me a big stack of corrogated plastic top packing sheets. These are the top sheet of the stack and are often slightly damaged. I just used my jigsaw to cut out any damage and rivet the pieces back together.

I collected treated wood from skip bins and built a huge permanent solid glass house. Best move I ever made. My Salvia's love it and are booming.

These hardware store glass houses really are a boy doing a mans job. I highly recomend any serious growers just make your own from scratch.

• Like 2

Just thought I'd put an update in here:

This thing seems to be holding up well. I took the plastic cover off back in spring as plants were getting too hot. I was planning on replacing it with shadecloth, but didn't have a piece big enough so I used mesh and grew an ipomoea over it instead. Looks nice and seems to work ok, I'll be sad to cut it back and replace the plastic in winter. :(

post-313-0-31220000-1392972223_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

nice green space there mang i love the feathers for eyesballs.

never ceases to amaze me about the power of green in confined spaces, how you can create a small paradise that's appealing on so many levels.

kudos to you and your space

• Like 1

Thanks man, yeah I love my little house. :wub: I try to put plants wherever I can - seems silly to have shadecloth and weed-matting and what-have-you when I could be having more plants instead! You can't see it so well in the photo but the floor is lined with pine needles, so it's like a little nest in there - some of the feathers have fallen down even. I kind of wish it was bigger so I could string up a hammock and live in there. One day... :lol:

I think Bunnings had replacement covers in their gardening section for those models. About $15, the covers were a little more opaque but reinforced better. Saw 'em today

Check the sizes tho before you buy one

• Like 2

Yes! I need a replacement badly :P

Mine's been through so much and the material is quite shit!

post-12907-0-28142300-1393113449_thumb.jpost-12907-0-30636700-1393113570_thumb.j

post-12907-0-28142300-1393113449_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-30636700-1393113570_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-28142300-1393113449_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-30636700-1393113570_thumb.jpg

I replaced mine with scrap bits of shade cloth. I found tape around the joins help protect the frame from rust, joiners from uv rays and helps stop movement in winds. I replace the shade cloth with a clear pallet wrap(tough, big ass cling wrap) in the winter. Can normally score damaged or a few end rolls for free from transport companies.

post-11606-0-02776200-1393115863_thumb.j

post-11606-0-02776200-1393115863_thumb.jpg

post-11606-0-02776200-1393115863_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

i find that the tiny hothouses have not been very kind to me. the problem is that they will heat up very quickly, but also cool down very quickly, distressing the plants immensely. keeping the zipper open helps a lot to let excessive heat escape, but still can be too much on the really hot days, whereas the larger hothouses at work will maintain more of a steady temperature.