The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Jox

Big white shroom??

Question

Hi all,

just looking for an ID for this big shroom, this was the smallest one in the paddock some of them were huge!

I don't think it would be edible because it didn't have that nice mushroom smell, it smelt kind of weird almost sour/bitter.

post-11291-0-04368200-1362403808_thumb.j

post-11291-0-20723100-1362403872_thumb.j post-11291-0-71299000-1362404247_thumb.j

These Aseroe rubra have been popping up like crazy in my yard, & they have been getting big too!

post-11291-0-95235700-1362404298_thumb.j post-11291-0-30941300-1362404431_thumb.j

Thanks for the help

Cheers

jox

post-11291-0-04368200-1362403808_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-20723100-1362403872_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-71299000-1362404247_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-95235700-1362404298_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-30941300-1362404431_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-04368200-1362403808_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-20723100-1362403872_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-71299000-1362404247_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-95235700-1362404298_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-30941300-1362404431_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

23 answers to this question

The top one looks a bit like a 'death cap' - amanita phalloides. Whatever it is it doesnt look edible. Interestingly though, A. phalloides is actually supposed to taste really good (before you start shitting out the pulpy remains of your liver lol)

• Like 1

Thanks poisonshroom,

It can't be A.phalloides as I'm to far north for them. After doing a bit more searching I think it might be Macrolepiota dolichaula, which I read was edible but MUST be cooked. After smelling it I would have to be fu#ken hungry.

If someone can confirm my ID that would be great, also I would love to hear from anyone that has tried it.

Cheers

jox

• Like 1

I would be going with some sort of Death Angel / Destroying Angel.. an Amanita .

Edit: what are the surrounding trees in the paddock?... Pines?, oaks?, or...

Edited by Amazonian

They were found in S/E QLD, in a pretty open paddock the closest trees were Eucalyptus.

Cheers

jox

Id say your right about it being Macrolepiota dolichaula - doesnt look as rough though

dont think it is a deathcap. did it have a volva? i have also been wondering what they are (lacking volva). they are more common than deathcaps in QLD. as far as deathcaps not up this far goes, bullshit! i am in brisbane and have seen allot of them, with no doubt at all. next time i see one, i will take photo to prove this point. and i have yet to see one anywhere near their symbiotic companion trees as the .gov site states. have seen allot in open fields far from trees.

its like it could be one of those aminita (?) straw mushroom lookalike but lacks the volva, and has a ring on stem.. cant be. it has white gills too but the looks of it. im yet to ID this one, but i woudnt eat them thats for sure! there is allot of them up the road near coles newmarket. the caps seem to vary a bit, nothing new there. good luck ID it.

Thanks for the help :)

Id say your right about it being Macrolepiota dolichaula - doesnt look as rough though

Some of the others in the paddock were really rough (almost like scales lifting), after doing more searching I'm 99.9% sure it is M.dolichaula.

@ghosty, I am no mushroom expert mate :wink: & only thought A.phalloides weren't found here because that is what I had read, I will make sure to check I have the wright ID here before every trusting what the government puts out there. Thanks for the heads-up :).

Cheers

jox

if you are curious about deathcaps not being here i can tell you where you WILL find them. not far from brisbane. im far from expert myself in mycology field. very far from it. i have much to learn myself.

it sure does look like "Macrolepiota dolichaula" yeah, but i wonder as the gills seem to fall rather lower than the flailng edges of the cap. you have me more interested in finding out what these evr-common mushrooms are. the scale effect of the cap will vary allot id say based on age and weather etc.

• Like 1

them mushiez grow fuken everywhere all over the cow pads up here when it rainz forever !! the hippies dont pick them lol!!

sooo i think ya cant eat them 4 nothing [high,food] ?!?!

Edited by bullit
  • Like 2

I picked the bag of same looking mushrooms in north Brisbane (pls see attached photos), can you pls advise if i should throw them out?

post-11581-0-85890200-1362614347_thumb.j

post-11581-0-72917900-1362614357_thumb.j

post-11581-0-85890200-1362614347_thumb.jpg

post-11581-0-72917900-1362614357_thumb.jpg

post-11581-0-85890200-1362614347_thumb.jpg

post-11581-0-72917900-1362614357_thumb.jpg

Hey Ladyswan,

I think the ones in your photos are different to the one in the top post, yours seem to have a volva were as mine did not, also the ribs/gills on yours seem to fill right out to the edge. Someone with more experience will be able to tell you what it is :wink:.

@ghosty

it sure does look like "Macrolepiota dolichaula" yeah, but i wonder as the gills seem to fall rather lower than the flailng edges of the cap. you have me more interested in finding out what these evr-common mushrooms are. the scale effect of the cap will vary allot id say based on age and weather etc.

Every photo I can find of Macrolepiota dolichaula has the gills falling short of flailing edges once they get bigger. I have read on the Bush Food Forum that M.dolichaula is edible but HAS to be cooked, this is the only thing I can find about being edible.

Cheers

jox

I am taking a spore print for any case, if it is white, i will chuck it out, if it is pink then it could be straw mushrooms http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvariella_volvacea and i will cook them, when immature the mushroom i picked looked like an egg just like a straw mushroom.

on mine though a stipe has a ring and volva which could indicate that it is deadly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_phalloides

Edited by LadySwan

@ lady swan. Your mushroom does not look like ANY edible I have seen. Don't eat it. Remember the adage, ' there are old mushroom hunters, the are bold mushroom hunters. But there are no old bold mushroom hunters!'.

• Like 5

@ bigred :worship: ,

Thank you my friend for that link. It will help me BIG time in the future, & has confirmed my ID of the shroom in this post!

Cheers

jox

Aseroe rubra >>> wow these look awesome

the first shrooms indeed look like Macrolepiota sp. or Lepiota sp. , it could be also Leycoagaricus but I think Macrolepiota. Amanita should have a volva and the decorated perimeter of the cap is leading elsewhere.

The second mushroom [lady swan] seems like its an Amanita indeed.

It really looks like the deadly toxic Amanita proxima which fruits mostly in pine forests in southern europe, also in the same habitats fruits the larger A. ovoidea, with white and not rusty orange volva, like proxima.

Of course these species might as well not exist in Australia, but you could find some similar. note the rusty brown patches in the volva , I believe it could lead to an ID.

In any case, some Macrolepiotas are not edible, some Lepiotas are deadly toxic and deadly toxic Amanitas are too similar to those phenotypes for a beginer to really wanna consider eating.

I pick for over 8 years, and even though I have eaten the rather mediocre Amanita ovoidea [fishy taste and aroma] after being 100% positive on ID, but I have never tried Leucoacaricus sp. or unidentified Macrolepiotas sp.

Thanks for sharing your finds!

• Like 2

Thanks mutant,

you've provided some more useful information mate (you always do :wink:). I did not eat that Macrolepiota as it did not smell that appetizing & I only found one write up on that particular one being edible, I see other macrolepiota spp are definitely edible & have the common name Parasol mushroom.

Thanks to everyone that helped me work this one out :)

Cheers

jox

hey, I knew how to recognize an Amanita ovoidea before I even knew what the fuck a HBWR is so ... 9 years in mushrooming ...

for what it's worth, edible mushroom hunting , is what I consider the big 'door' that got me into the part of me that really likes to have a good time in nature - associated themes.

astrologically it 'has' to be linked with my venus being in capricorn

• Like 2

Not all Amanitas are poisonous, but it's a genus you don't want to experiment with. There are Amanita vernicoccora which, as far as I know, don't exist in Australia. They're edible, but fuck me, they look so much like Death Caps that it makes me shiver to think that you could eat them.

And as for the original mushroom posted here, it is likely to be something of the Macrolepiota genus, but just be aware of Chlorophyllum molybdites, which look a lot like Parasol mushrooms, but are quite toxic. They're much more common than Macrolepiotas too, at least in the Sydney area.

• Like 1

in general you should never fuck with anything you are not 101% sure about - regarding mushrooms.

More about Amanita edibility

I dont really know what you folks do in Australia or what kind of Amanitas you got

but Amanita genus includes some of the most tasty and sought after edible mushrooms

Amanita ceasarea is one of them and easy to ID, there exists in other parts of the world with other names / phenotypes

Amanita rubescens is one of those two, perhaps the top tasting one, also easy to ID, present in Australia as well I think.

Also, the Amanita vaginata is one of common and pretty tasty edible Amanitas, that most people dont get to try, I know some collector that are 'scared' to try. Its delicious nevertheless.

In fact, A.vaginata is so tasty that is suitable even in cooking with red tomato sauce , while for many fresh mushrooms, tomato sauce has too insense taste to cook with , say, fresh boletus.

Note that most edible Amanitas require cooking prior to eating, with the exception of A.ceasarea which is also edible raw, but unless you really love the taste of raw mushrooms, cook it, its much more tasty cooked.

• Like 1

wow, mutant, you are so experienced, would be great to have a friend like you

Edited by LadySwan