The Corroboree

Just to let everyone know the annual geminid meteor shower is underway.

Began on the 4th and is predicted to peak on the 13th this month ( so thursday ). Was out watching the stars before with a friend and it was roughly 15 min wait between meteors but they were absolute rippers when they showed themselves with some superb smoke trails burning off them. I highly recommend taking some time this week to turn your f*cking tv off and watch the universe do its thing.

Wiki link for more info here

FYI...

• Like 6

How many hours from the light would i need to drive to see this? I have about 12 stars in my sky ...

awesome, thanks for telling us!

i have asked before, and forgotten if there was an answer, but does anyone know if there is a website or mailing list to keep track of interesting celestial phenomena? i always miss out.

note i have found one for the northern hemisphere in the past, but not us "disputed zone" dwellers.

I'll never forget seeing haleys comet ehen I was 7 or so :)/>

My gran was awesome, she knew all the stars and constellations. I miss that magical old woman :(

Edited by incognito
  • Like 2

How many hours from the light would i need to drive to see this? I have about 12 stars in my sky ...

If you can see all the stars for the little dipper you're dark enough.

great thnx for the info

i have asked before, and forgotten if there was an answer, but does anyone know if there is a website or mailing list to keep track of interesting celestial phenomena? i always miss out.

Ive got an app on my phone that shows me what phase the moon is in,

Id like another apps with a monthly updates on whats going on in the sky.

Should be peaking tonight

Ive got an app on my phone that shows me what phase the moon is in,

Id like another apps with a monthly updates on whats going on in the sky.

Iceinspace.com.au is a great (Australian) amateur astronomy site and when you join they send out quite informative newsletter emails. Sky Safari is a great phone/tablet app to keep up to date with and to find celestial objects and phenomenon. The real time sky view function is indispensable. I tried some of the free sky map ones and they are good but Sky Safari is worth the coin ($3, $15 & $40 for the three versions, I went for the $15 one).

Having said all that despite several attempts at viewing I saw only a few Gemenids. The recent Orionid shower was similarly lacklustre in my neck of the woods. :-/

Edited by Xenodimensional

Same here. I was watching thursday night with a full clear sky and it was a bit of a non event. Lay on my drive way for two hours and only saw about four meteors. One of my mates had better luck wednesday night.