The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
saguaro

Ants in cactus pot

I have some cacti growing on my windowsill. Recently it flowered and gave fruit, and before I could harvest the seeds I noticed ants had eaten the fruit and taken the seeds. Also, the cactus seems less healthy since I noticed the ants, as if it is dehydrated despite it being free from rot, and being watered as it should be.

Is there anyway to get rid of the ants without harming the cactus? the cactus is a lophophora

Thats a dreaded age old problem. i soak my pots in water for a few hours to drown em out, flyspray the window sill and leave some ant sand around the pot

• Like 1

I have some cacti growing on my windowsill. Recently it flowered and gave fruit, and before I could harvest the seeds I noticed ants had eaten the fruit and taken the seeds. Also, the cactus seems less healthy since I noticed the ants, as if it is dehydrated despite it being free from rot, and being watered as it should be.

Is there anyway to get rid of the ants without harming the cactus? the cactus is a lophophora

I'd re-pot it and don't water it for a few days after you do it so the roots can recover from any damage. Damaged roots are susceptible to rot.

For many plants a good soaking can work but I find the ants create a zone that is repellent to water and won't soak the water up even if the pot is soaked for several days. If I'm going to soak them out I use a wetting agent first so the water penetrates and wets the everything. I wouldn't do that with a Loph though, I'd just re-pot it.

• Like 1

There is also the likelihood the ants may have introduced root mealys, have a very close look for the blighters when you re-pot. You may need to get out the big guns if they are present.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions! I was wondering if i used pyrethrum next watering, would that damage the loph?

I'd be very wary about doing that man.

I've seen pyrethrum burn a lot of plants even when mixed and used as recommended.

• Like 2

If and only if you find root mealys i would water the pot with confidor, note the potting media not the plant itself. It is systemtic and very very nasty & persistent but its one of the few things that stop mealys in their tracks

• Like 1

Pyrethrum is okay for lophs , but burns trichs . Recommended to rinse it off after a short time .

hey, I had a closer look at the roots, there were no mealy bugs, but instead I found red spider mites, so I used dilute pyrethrum in the soil. I'll see how it goes

Ant sand. Awesome stuff.

• Like 1

Hmmm. Seems that ants want to grow lophs as well. Can you really blame them? :P

• Like 1

Limonene, all natural, biodegradable and derived from citrus rinds, is a contact insecticide, and effective against all sorts of insects including ants and mites. I add 5-10 ml limonene to an equal portion of 90% + isopropyl alcohol and mix, they should be immiscible, then dilute this with approx 1 liter of water. Ive sprayed this on my trichos with no problems, dunno how it'd work with lophos tho. You could also encircle your flowering cactus' pot with a ring of grease, chalk, or citrus rinds to help repel the buggers.